22nd Apr 2009, 17:58
All the flights from Milan to London:

LIN-LHR BA 4x daily
LIN-LHR AZ 5x daily
LIN-LCY AZ 2x daily
LIN-LGW U2 1x daily
Total 12x daily from LIN

MXP-LHR BA 4x daily
MXP-LHR LH 6x daily (4x by LHI and 2x by BMI)
MXP-LGW U2 4x daily
MXP-LTN U2 2x daily New route
Total 16x daily from MXP

BGY-STN FR 3x daily
BGY-LTN FR 1x daily
Total 4x daily from BGY

Milan-London (all routes)= 12+16+4= 32x daily

For me there are too many flights, who will be the first to axe or reduce frequency?

johnnychips
22nd Apr 2009, 23:57
Not sure of all the aircraft used, but say there was an average capacity of 150, that's 4800 passengers a day from all the Milan catchment area and I presume connecting BA and Star flights. It doesn't sound too many.

The SSK
23rd Apr 2009, 10:07
Three years ago there were 27/day. BA, AZ/LIN and U2 pretty much unchanged from then. Differences are a reduction of 6 to 4 FR, withdrawal of AZ from MXP and of course the new LH services which could be construed as an attempt to drive AZ out of the market. Overcapacity? Most certainly in today’s business climate but maybe not when the schedules were in the planning stage six months ago.

Maybe yesterday’s political decision to suspend the slots use-it-or-lose-it rule will give rise to some frequency cutbacks.

Telstar
23rd Apr 2009, 11:59
The FR first wave BGY-STN flight had poor loads for a long time, I am not surprised it got the chop, I often wondered how long it could go on like that for.

On the Straight and Level
23rd Apr 2009, 12:50
Trying not to thread drift but SSK, what do you mean
yesterday’s political decision to suspend the slots use-it-or-lose-it rule will give rise to some frequency cutbacks ?

Is this just an MXP thing/Italian thing/or does this apply to all of Europe? I'm sure there would be many operators out of LHR that would be relieved to hear that, if true.

The SSK
23rd Apr 2009, 14:50
Amendment to the EU slot regulation, affecting all airlines at all European slot coordinated airports.

For Summer 2009. Possible extension to W09/10