PDA

View Full Version : Wake in Fright rediscovered! (For movie buffs)

Binoculars
22nd Apr 2009, 15:35
Some time ago I made a post extolling the virtues of a long forgotten Australian movie called Wake in Fright. I couldn't understand why it was never to be found on DVD, but the ABC came up with the answer tonight on the 7.30 Report. Apparently all remaining copies were so flawed they were unable to be copied digitally but the original producer, after years of detective work, found several original copies in an obscure Pittsburgh cinema which were about to be destroyed. (Its American release was titled "Outback").

Now after a couple of years of painstaking editing it has been fully digitised and about to be released in July at a Sydney film festival. As soon as I see a copy of it I will be purchasing. It was made in 1970 featuring a cast of relative unknowns (Jack Thompson's first movie and Chips Rafferty's last) and it remains to this day the ultimate expose of the unpleasant truths behind the myths of Aussie mateship. Some of the references may be a little dated but the underlying truth remains current.

The Australian film industry has produced some wonderful features over the years, but to my mind this movie remains the best Aussie film ever made. Uncomfortable viewing as per Once Were Warriors, but irresistible, and I urge all movie buffs to seek out a copy when it finally hits the Blockbuster shelves.

lomapaseo
22nd Apr 2009, 16:54
by the time that it's released Blockbusters will be out of business.

I'll watch for it on U-tube

tony draper
22nd Apr 2009, 17:34
What was it about Mr B?remember one about a Giant Boar,saying Chips Raffety was in it int a help he was in every Oz movie ever made.
:rolleyes:

frostbite
22nd Apr 2009, 18:05
You can find out more about it at

Wake in Fright (1971) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067541/)

BOFH
22nd Apr 2009, 19:19
lomapaseo

It's already there, but I would recommend you get the proper version when it's released if you've never seen it.

BOFH

Rainboe
22nd Apr 2009, 19:21
....and it remains to this day the ultimate expose of the unpleasant truths behind the myths of Aussie mateship

What does that mean? Are you implying when a digger whacks you on the back and says 'How'r'ya mate, fancy a tinny?'....is he making homusectual advance?

tinpis
22nd Apr 2009, 22:48
fancy a tinny?
I dont think so...

Probably means hes an unintelligent non-Labor voter.

tony draper
22nd Apr 2009, 23:11
The Proposition was a fair Oz movie but they had to import the lead actor Ray Winstone.
Sort of a Oz western,still Ray Winstone was a hell of a improvement on Mick Jagger playing a camp Ned Kelly.
:rolleyes:

BOFH
23rd Apr 2009, 00:34
TD

You'll find that the lead actor in WOF speaks RP.

tinpis

Nice angling there :) . I believe the term is 'dyawannabeermate?'. (with the rising intonation at the end). For English speakers, you just say 'der yer wanna beer madte' quickly, and after the final 'a', go up about a fifth.

If you want to be really Australian, reduce a stewardess to tears because she does not have your favourite Happy Meal.

BOFH

Binoculars
23rd Apr 2009, 04:51
It seems I could start a thread about koalas and some people would still find it necessary to infect it with complaints that the Born to Rule Party have been booted out.

Mr D, it's an uncomfortable and confronting movie which looks, from the perspective of someone reasonably civilised, at the hard drinking mateship rituals that supposedly define Australian males. The results are not flattering, especially the attitude to women; Sylvia Kaye's small part, virtually the only female in the movie, is a gem.

Bear in mind that it was made in 1970, and some people have moved on since then, but it is still an excruciatingly embarrassing look at an unfortunately large number of Aussie men.

Regards,

"Pprune's favourite misogynist."

(Still having a giggle over that one).

Buster Hyman
23rd Apr 2009, 09:11
Koalas?

If Koalas had the vote, Joh'd be in power still! You, you, you mark my words you, you young commie you!

Mr D. In the period the film was roughly set, we were importing actors & citizens it seems.

Howard Hughes
23rd Apr 2009, 10:15
Takes me back to year 10 English class, my teacher said I didn't get it then and I still don't get it now...:ooh:

Pinky the pilot
23rd Apr 2009, 11:26
Mr D. In the period the film was roughly set, we were importing actors & citizens it seems.

Now don't you worry about that Buster!

Thought it was a rather good movie m'self. Made one think.:hmm:

Spotlight
23rd Apr 2009, 13:03
A Frenchman made a pretty scary Aus film a decade earlier. Young Nicole was in one a decade and a bit later.

Still remember Wake in Fright though! Working on the Station(s), if anything it was understated.

Binoculars
23rd Apr 2009, 15:05
Takes me back to year 10 English class, my teacher said I didn't get it then and I still don't get it now..

But have you seen it since then, Howard? I wouldn't expect any Year 10 student to have got it in the seventies. I suspect with its re-release our latest batch of students will be more likely to get it. Having said that, I'm totally aware of the fact that perhaps 80% of them have no more clue than you did thirty-plus years ago. The difference is they have now had the opportunity to understand it. Back then it was like a Social Studies class.

Binoculars
28th Jun 2009, 16:54
And now the digitised print is available. People are recognising how little some things have changed. If you are interested, I direct you to Wake in Fright Review. Movie Reviews - Film - Time Out New York (http://www.timeout.com/film/newyork/reviews/64175/Wake_in_Fright.html) where my comments appear under the name Chris.

Wiley
29th Jun 2009, 08:12
Truly one of the scariest - and utterly depressing - movies I've ever seen, if only because it was so recognisable and accurate. The very last scene was the scariest moment of all.

Unlike the hapless school teacher, I escaped from a town just like that almost immediately after leaving school.

I look forward to seeing the movie again.

Howard Hughes
29th Jun 2009, 11:29
But have you seen it since then, Howard? I wouldn't expect any Year 10 student to have got it in the seventies.
I have not seen it since, I just might need to have a second look!:ok:

PS: I was in year 10 in the 80's, well 1980 at least...;)

Michael Birbeck
29th Jun 2009, 11:54
Sounds like a proto Goulburn.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Goulburnmerino1.JPG/270px-Goulburnmerino1.JPG (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/File:Goulburnmerino1.JPG)