PDA

View Full Version : moderate eye conjunctivities ,, can prevent me from FAA class 1 ?

7oodaz
22nd Apr 2009, 10:05
hi guyz ,
i have moderate eye conjunctivities caused me strange stuff in my eyes but none of them are mentioned in the class 1 eye requirements
i passed an FAA medical class 1 before but iam afraid of renewal
and also my vision is getting worse
especially astegmatism
but my glasses still can correct my vision to 20/20
so is there any problem ? !

nannodnai
22nd Apr 2009, 12:40
May be a little misunderstanding here.

CONJUNCTIVITIS is usually a very brief and transient condition, where the outer (transparent) layer of the eye gets inflamed through infection. If it's viral (the large majority) it generally requires no treatment, and gets better spontaneously in a matter of a few days. Bacterial conjunctivitis might take a bit longer to clear, and might require treatment with antibiotic drops.

But conjunctivitis does not usually affect visual acuity; certainly has nothing whatsoever to do with astigmatism; and would not normally get in the way of passing a routine flight crew medical.

Do not be afraid of renewal. Discuss your situation with your AME. That's our job ! !

Der absolute Hammer
22nd Apr 2009, 13:29
Or....
You could try soothing the pain with a solution of cocaine-adrenaline.

nannodnai
22nd Apr 2009, 16:26
soothing the pain with a solution of cocaine-adrenaline

Not to be recommended, frankly, without getting a doctor to look at the eye(s) first.

Two other points : (1) the OP never even mentioned pain in his post (most conjunctivitis is described as "uncomfortable" at worst), and (2) such a solution would only be available in the UK with a prescription anyway (cannot speak for other countries, obviously).

Der absolute Hammer
22nd Apr 2009, 17:21
Oh yes..I apologize..I was just being fazetiouz. That's what Dr Peter Morell used to treat Adolf Hitler's conjunctivitis.

gingernut
22nd Apr 2009, 20:58
Ah yes, how we forget the ability of the eye to ingest drugs......Timolol and asthma springs to mind.

Anyway, back to the point, surely you're not suggesting Hitler was made psychotic due to iatrogenisis are you Der Hammer?

Medicine harming patients? Careful, you'll rattle Macs cage. You won't like him when he's angry.

nannodnai
23rd Apr 2009, 22:49
surely you're not suggesting Hitler was made psychotic due to iatrogenesis are you ?

But he wasn't psychotic ! On tonight's main news was an item about some very pleasant and sensitive paintings by Herr Adolf, which were unknown for years, then found and put up for auction ! Unlikely to be related to conjunctivitis, don't ya' think ?

More importantly, absolutely SFA to to with aviation ! So, probable end to this thread, as so many others !