PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on Sim Stress

Sciolistes
22nd Apr 2009, 06:17
Hi all,

Just thought I would put keyboard to screen with regards to an interesting conversation that I had with chap paxing next to me on the way back from my OPC. After a bit of discussion it turned out this chap was a clinical psychologist. When the conversation turned to my profession he said that he sees a few pilots in his line of work with regards to helping them cope with six monthly sim stress - quite funny considering what I had been doing the last couple of days.

I'm sure most of us experience some form of anxiety, but when it is acute enough to limit performance he provided a couple of very simple tips that I thought I might share with you chaps, would be interesting to see if they work.

The background is that under stress, your brain will place more emphasis on basic survival functions and complex cognitive activities can be inhibited to a significant degree. The real point is that this is involuntary, so the concept of "getting a grip" really doesn't apply beyond a certain point.

Amongst other things (I'm sure it more complex than this) but there are apparently two very simple things the brain understands and feels less stressed about:

1) Controlled breathing. So if you're sitting there and feeling the stress focus on breathing for a few seconds. According to this chap the benefits are almost immediate. Sounds obvious but I don't recall ever thinking that before a flight test.

2) Distraction. Obviously you need to pick your moment very carefully, but before you enter the sweat box, decide on something/somebody that makes you happy and at one with the world. Pet, scene, even the missus/hubby! Use that thought as part of the preparation or during a lull in the chaos.

There you go so obvious but yet I have never tried either. Useful or useless? If useless add your coping strategy.