PDA

View Full Version : A question to the long haul guys with pets

Aerofoil
22nd Apr 2009, 01:57
Hi all

I just wondered if the guys and gals who operate long haul flights (BA/Virgin etc) can tell me how they manage with pets whilst being away for days at a time? by this i mean cats and also dogs. I dont have anyone to take care of a cat/dog if i were to be away for a few days at a time so i wondered how anyone else in my situation gets round that problem?

Cheers

Foil

411A
22nd Apr 2009, 02:52
My wife uses the services of an in-home pet sitter.
She comes around once a day to feed/water the cats.

Much better than leaving your dog/cat in a kennel.

Pets like their surroundings, why not keep 'em happy?

Michael Birbeck
22nd Apr 2009, 09:10
There is a softer side to Rainboe after all. ;). An animal lover can't be all that bad and the advice given is good.

Hmm! Mind you, Hitler was a dog lover.

Viper-NL
22nd Apr 2009, 09:55
A cat is better if you are on longhaul. But the best for any animal is that you don't hold them if you are on longhaul and you don't have anybody to take care of them when you are away.
I'd love to have pets around, but I'm just away too much.
Hold fish, they can manage ;)

Rainboe
22nd Apr 2009, 20:39
There is a softer side to Rainboe after all.
Why don't you take your personal comments and put them where the sun don't shine? To use my reply about keeping a dog as a way to get your sniping in is a bit sad. Thanks to you, that posting has been removed.

con-pilot
23rd Apr 2009, 01:42
Right then, someone with a whole 54 posts believes that they can dictate what someone with over 3,000 post should act or believe.

Nice, very nice. :rolleyes:

Now after the interruption by the Private Pilot. When my wife was with me on long trips either our son or our daughter would come a stay at the house and take care of our pets. If they were not available we had friends that would either stay at the house or come by and take care of the critters.

brickhistory
23rd Apr 2009, 01:48
To Mr. Birbeck, a blunt approach typically doesn't work and a rapier-like application of wit usually does on pprune. However, being humorous is always appreciated.

Blunt and unfunny is a two-fer. Well done...

Muffin Themule
23rd Apr 2009, 02:41
Forget the quadrapeds - too high maintenance & won't appreciate being abandoned for longish periods.

Start thinking reptiles - snakes can be very affectionate, or so I have been told. Boas, and the like, may even give you a big squeeze when you return from an extended trip.

On the other hand, if your predilection is for something furry you could, perhaps, adopt something like this (http://entomology.unl.edu/images/spiders/lycosa_helluo.jpg)

mixture
23rd Apr 2009, 08:49
Right then, someone with a whole 54 posts believes that they can dictate what someone with over 3,000 post should act or believe.

Nice, very nice.

Not wishing to defend anyone here, but since when is the number of posts a rank of seniority at PPrune ?

Nobody should ever be able to dictate how someone else should act or believe, no matter how many posts they've made on an internet forum, how many cars they own, how much money they have .... whatever ..... (excluding of course, the sort of things "dictated" by legislation .... but that's another topic).

You may not be aware of the concept, but it is possible to register on an internet forum simply to be a "lurker" ..... that is, somebody who rarely, if ever makes any posts, and spends most of their time reading.

Anyway I'll stop there, because you probably won't read my post as I've only made 196 posts ! :cool:

P.S. I would be rather worried if Mr Birbeck had made 3,000 posts since his joining date of Feb 2009 !!! :ok:

Michael Birbeck
23rd Apr 2009, 09:33
Rainboe

Sorry if my slightly clumsy wit offended you. No sniping intended. As for getting your post deleted I just canít see how that follows. In fact I was in firm agreement with your sentiments reference keeping pets. As for the ďsun donít shine commentĒ Iíll just let sleeping dogs lie.

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 09:46
To be honest Rainboe, your tone is offensive & unwarranted. I am sure that if you spoke to people in a bar room the way you speak to them in here, you would regret it in short order more often than not.

It seems very easy to be tough on the internet. And exactly what does post count have to do with any damn thing?

mixture
23rd Apr 2009, 10:02
http://www.epatric.com/funstuff/dog/internet_dog.jpg

Rainboe
23rd Apr 2009, 10:20
To be honest Rainboe, your tone is offensive & unwarranted. I am sure that if you spoke to people in a bar room the way you speak to them in here, you would regret it in short order more often than not.
I made no reference to post counts. All I was doing was answering someone's query about keeping a dog or cat whilst working in a flying career- something I did for 30 years and do know a lot about. Some idiot pops up and uses my reply to make a critical personal comment equating me with Hitler? You think that is acceptable?

Sprogget
23rd Apr 2009, 10:20
I think two wrongs don't make a right.

Michael Birbeck
23rd Apr 2009, 10:26
Rainboe

You are now being offensive.

Aerofoil
23rd Apr 2009, 12:33
All this from me asking about a dog?! :rolleyes:

helimutt
23rd Apr 2009, 13:10
This is Jet Blast after all. What did you expect? Peace, tranquility and good will to all men? Not a chance!! :ok:

ArthurR
23rd Apr 2009, 13:13
Don't these long haul guys have a "pet" in every port,
or was that sailors. :E

Sallyann1234
23rd Apr 2009, 14:33
Spiders make excellent pets. You can leave tarantulas for a couple of weeks with some food (live crickets) and water, and they will be very happy. And they are nice and furry too.

Rainboe,
Thanks to you, that posting has been removed.
How can you think that your post could be removed because of something someone else said?
IF a mod removed your post it will have been because of your content.

OFSO
23rd Apr 2009, 14:59
Hey M. Birbeck. Mind you, Hitler was a dog lover.

Yes, and Pope Benedict loves cats (as do I) but that's no guarantee of sanity or common sense in either case.

R

vonbag
23rd Apr 2009, 15:03
The pieces of advice of 411A and Con-Pilot are the best I can think of (sorry if I missed out anybody else's suggestions).
We do the same here, when have to absent for a long period of time from home.
Sometimes, when the neighbours are not for holidays, we leave them the keys of the house, to give water to the plants, collect the mail... and take care of the two cats.
(of course, the top pieces of my different collections are in a safe place, not in the house when I have to be away from there for more than two days).

Just for the heck of it, you never know, I will hereby position my favorite smiley with moustache: ;-=)

dazdaz
23rd Apr 2009, 15:21
Although I'm not a pilot my work can involve me being away from home for a number weeks at a time. My simple solution to the problem is just to leave the cat at home. When I return, have the flat fumigated and buy another cat.

vonbag
23rd Apr 2009, 15:33
P.S.: I am not a professional pilot myself.

Very funny that, Dazdaz; if I were to put that in practice, in my case I probably would find only one cat when I return home.