View Full Version : UK Pilots' PAYE Tax Allowances

capt waffoo
24th May 2001, 14:55
I have had for years an additional amount added to my basic tax code to cater for "Professional Expenses", ie licence renewal, medicals, uniform cleaning, flight bag, sunglasses, extra shirts etc that comes to around £600.

What, if any, does anyone else get allowed for this by the tax man?

Has he ever queried it or refused to accept it?

And for those folks out there who do not know of this facility, get working on it because tax relief on six hundred quid (and I think that figure is now rather low) is worth making a bit of effort for.

Input please!

Herod
24th May 2001, 23:28
Yes, £ 600 would be nice. However, the latest within my company, and I think a lot of others is £ 130. Tax at 22% gives you the wonderful amount of £ 28.60 in your pocket.

nice_beaver
24th May 2001, 23:58
I get 290 quid now but used to be closer to 600. It seemed to change when we got flight pay treated differently for tax purposes.

EDDNR
25th May 2001, 14:41
Speak to BALPA, they have the standard figure that you can add to your tax return. I don't think it matters how your allowances are taxed. I've claimed the 580 quid (or whatever it is) allowance for years without question from Hector.

Rod

Firestorm
28th May 2001, 19:33
I recently started a new job in Glasgow, and phoned the tax office to see what information they needed to adjust my tax code. The whole negotiation took about 5 minutes, over the phone, and I was asked several times if there were any other expenses I wanted taken into consideration. For the price of a phone call everyone should do it. Don't expect Brother Brown to apply it automatically as he would be the last one to let a penny slip out of his greasy grip. :)

aerobat
29th May 2001, 00:22
We used to get £720 but the Revenue have dropped it this year to £130.