PDA

View Full Version : Request Flight Level XXX

fireflybob
21st Apr 2009, 18:15
Why not just say "Request Flight Level XXX" when you want a higher/lower level?

I seem to hear more and more "Ah Bloggsville this is Creamair XXX we're in light to moderate chop at the moment and we were wondering if FL XXX is available, er do you have any ride reports....blah, blah blah?"

Or heard today "France Starship YYY are any higher levels available?" - even France replied "Well what level would you like?" then they respond "Any higher level!".

ground_star
21st Apr 2009, 18:19
If you're asking for FL XXX is that ATC code for "joining the mile high club...do not disturb" ;)

Oh...XXX is a placeholder...I see...I'll get m'coat!

con-pilot
21st Apr 2009, 18:35
I seem to hear more and more "Ah Bloggsville this is Creamair XXX we're in light to moderate chop at the moment and we were wondering if FL XXX is available, er do you have any ride reports....blah, blah blah?"

Well in my case I would always ask for a ride report for a different level if the reason I was requesting a level change because of a rough ride. No sense jumping into the fire from the frying pan.

I have asked on occasions for any level that has a better ride than the one I'm at. Only when I was on a maximum range flight would I stay in turbulence and not seek a smother level.

(Wow, a serious aviation question in JB, what is the world coming to? :ooh:)

V2-OMG!
21st Apr 2009, 18:47
.....blah, blah blah?"

con-air, yes, but it's in the typical JB vernacular that's understood by all.

Rollingthunder
21st Apr 2009, 19:03
Heard one that made me smile once as we were coming down England.

Egyptian private:
"Can we get a higher level?"

ATC: Yes FL520

pause

Ah that's a bit high for us, we'll stay here.

er340790
21st Apr 2009, 19:25
Forget exactly how it went but there was the old one about the Lockheed Blackbird over LA asking for clearance to FL600.

A Controller was heard to exclaim "Oh yeah, and how are you going to get up to there????"

Response was "Negative, we wish to DESCEND to FL600!" :D

galaxy flyer
21st Apr 2009, 21:24
Too true, at FL600, the Mode C readout became classified! Somehow, I doubt the story (I've heard it before) because LA Center must have been very familiar with the two SR-71 callsigns "Dutch" and "Aspen". I have been at the scope at ABQ Center and seen a SR-71 at M3.0, impressive.

GF

con-pilot
21st Apr 2009, 21:42
Bit of a thread drift, but many years ago I was west bound just past ABQ in a Lear 24, we were at 45.0 and something above and to the left of me caught my attention. It was a contrail and what was making it passed us like we were sitting still. I called the center up and asked if we had just been passed by an "Aspen" call sign; something along the line of, "Did an Aspen aircraft just pass us?".

After a short period of silence we got the short answer of "Afirm."

I was surprised, because I had thought that at the altitude that SR-71 operated they did not make contrails, later I met a SR-71 pilot that informed that on occasions they did create contrails.

Very impressive being passed that quickly when you yourself are flying an aircraft that is indicating nearly .80 Mach.

Flying Lawyer
21st Apr 2009, 22:47
From Sled Driver (https://galleryonepublishing.com/sleddriver/index.html) by Brian Shul .....One day, high above Arizona, we were monitoring the radio traffic of all the mortal airplanes below us. First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to check his ground speed. ‘Ninety knots,’ ATC replied. A twin Bonanza soon made the same request. ‘One-twenty on the ground,’ was the reply. To our surprise, a Navy F-18 came over the radio with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley know what real speed was. ‘Dusty 52, we show you at 620 on the ground,’ ATC responded. The situation was too ripe. I heard the click of Walter’s mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walter startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace. In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied, ‘Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground.’ We did not hear another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast.

galaxy flyer
22nd Apr 2009, 00:29
Shul was my A-10 Evaluator, I understand a bit controversial in the Sled, perhaps because he wrote so much.

GF

con-pilot
22nd Apr 2009, 00:43
Shul was my A-10 Evaluator, I understand a bit controversial in the Sled, perhaps because he wrote so much.

As in VHF/UHF capabilities of the SR-71? I've seen comments about that on the above story. However, having never flown one, I don't know.

mocoman
22nd Apr 2009, 01:16
"Afirm."

Affirm surely....:O

galaxy flyer
22nd Apr 2009, 01:37
I'm not sure if the SR-71 had VHF, certainly UHF. But, I'd doubt it had VHF, personally. Shul left the SR at the end of the plane's life, I believe he left with a some kind of dark cloud and writing successfully and being quoted has, I understand, peeved the community. It is very closed group, that stays in touch. Consider, I had a guy in my squadron that was about #500 in the U-2, take a guess how many sled drivers there were. I'd guess well under a 100.

Another friend flew it and retired a two-star.

GF

tinpis
22nd Apr 2009, 01:40
Did the SR-71 crew carry hand guns?

Ahhhhh..Roger that Houston...tish

galaxy flyer
22nd Apr 2009, 01:56
Why would they? That plane came as close as possible to be immune to attack. SAM-2s couldn't hit 'em, F-15s could get a good launch with a Sparrow only with a perfect intercept. Not sure about AMRAAMs, might get it.

GF

Back to the thread, I fly some guys who haven't flown international and try American radio chatter on furriners...confusing controllers and sounding horrid to locals. "Request FL XXX, sounds better to me.

Brian Abraham
22nd Apr 2009, 04:03
SR-71 comms
ARC-186(V) VHF set
COMNAV-50 UHF set (2 off)
618-T HF set
ARC-190(V) HF set
SAM-2s couldn't hit 'em
Post flight one did find a small piece of shrapnel

Flying Lawyer
22nd Apr 2009, 07:05
Brian

You beat me to it.
I've no idea if the story is true, embellished or false but, if the SR-71 didn't have VHF, the well-known anecdote would have been soundly discredited long ago.

Captain Stable
22nd Apr 2009, 09:48
Affirm surely....http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/embarass.gifAffirm :ok:

Rollingthunder
22nd Apr 2009, 09:49
A......Firm

Captain Stable
22nd Apr 2009, 09:59
A......Firm...pair of buttocks? :ooh: :E :O

Rollingthunder
22nd Apr 2009, 10:00
OK....Roger That.

anotherthing
22nd Apr 2009, 10:26
Roger what...

A......Firm ...pair of buttocks? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/icon25.gif http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/embarass.gif
Eeeugh