PDA

View Full Version : Infant in his own seat on BA

man friday
21st Apr 2009, 13:31
Hi Folks,

planning a family trip to orlando with BA in Nov. Man Friday Jnr will be 6 months and i want him to have his own seat.

any recomendations for the car seat i should buy to enable him to make use of his own seat.

Cheers

MF & Jnr

eliptic
21st Apr 2009, 13:38
From BA´s site

Infant seats and carrycots

If you have booked a seat for your infant, you will need to have an approved infant car seat that fits into the aircraft seat. If they are travelling on your lap, you will not need a car seat.
We can supply specially designed carrycots so your infant can sleep on board, particularly useful for longhaul flights.
We can also supply an on-board infant seat which attaches to the bassinet positions.
We have a limited number of carrycots and infant seats, which are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Please request seats from cabin crew on board the aircraft.
British Airways' supplied infant seats are:

ideal for ages from 6 months to 2 years, but can also be used from birth
adjustable to a variety of positions from horizontal to vertical
available for infants who weigh a maximum of 13kgs/29lbs
available on all longhaul flights, except in First Class on Boeing 777/767 aircraft where only carrycots are available.
You may prefer to use your own seat which must meet the following standards:

a seat designed to be secured by means of a normal aircraft single lap strap and face the same direction as the passenger seat on which it rests
a purpose-designed children’s car seat with a 5-point restraining harness
the seat must not exceed the dimensions of the aircraft seat
the maximum dimensions of the seat must fit into an area of 17x17 inches (43x43cm).
The Civil Aviation Authority does not permit rearward facing car seats.
For aircraft take-off and landing and in times of turbulence, infants have to be seated on their parent’s lap using the infant seat belts we provide.
British Airways - Travelling with children (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/child/public/en_gb)

GroundedSLF
21st Apr 2009, 15:34
Wot Eliptic said above

eightyknots
21st Apr 2009, 16:06
After having witnessed many people using a car seat, my advice would be don't bother.

Sit Junior on your lap for take off and landing. He can stretch out in his own seat once you're up.

They really aren't worth the hassle.

eliptic
21st Apr 2009, 16:20
eightyknots,,

I think it is not so easy to have a 6 month baby in his "own" seat stretching
Most 6 months can´t even sit strait up yet:p

CornishFlyer
21st Apr 2009, 16:46
BA provide bassinets if you are just after a place the baby can sit in and that'll mean you won't have to lug a big car seat around with you on holiday

lexxity
21st Apr 2009, 18:30
At six months I'd say give the car seat a miss. Over about 9 months until the little one grows out of a five point harness, I would without a shadow of doubt say TAKE THE CAR SEAT! Keeps the little so and so strapped in and stops them trying to wriggle/walk/run away.

I am the voice of flights with my son past.

eightyknots
21st Apr 2009, 19:40
eightyknots,,

I think it is not so easy to have a 6 month baby in his "own" seat stretching
Most 6 months can´t even sit strait up yet

It'll be good training for him!;)

*Why can't you quote on this forum?*

Scott Diamond
21st Apr 2009, 19:57
CC have been friendly and helpful when we've had juniour juniours accompany.

*Why can't you quote on this forum?*

Proof you can ;) Type [ quote=theirname]paste in their quote[/ quote] (minus spaces)

Or paste in their quote, highlight it and press the button on the WYSIWYG editor that has a speech bubble and says "Wrap [quote] tags around selected text"

TightSlot
21st Apr 2009, 20:11
For speed, select and copy the text that you wish to quote, then, in your post...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/TightSlot/Quote.jpg

Select the Quote Button and paste the text in between the [ QUOTE][ /QUOTE]

You're good to go.

man friday
22nd Apr 2009, 13:52
thanks for the tips

MF

Ground Bound
22nd Apr 2009, 15:18
We have a limited number of carrycots and infant seats, which are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.

Just make sure you check in early. Even if you request this on your booking, the availability is limited. Believe me - some sad people steal these things and if they are all gone when you arrive it will be a case of tough luck. The crew will try their best to assist you, but, as most things in life, you have to help youselves. Best of luck and I hope you have a good flight.

eightyknots
22nd Apr 2009, 17:26
Can't they just put a quote button next to the reply button?

I'm sure there used to be one.

Anyway.....hijack over.....:ok:

13 please
22nd Apr 2009, 22:59
Can't they just put a quote button next to the reply button?

I'm sure there used to be one.

I agree, and thanks for the tip TightSlot..!!!

I think this is the first time I've managed it... if it works..!!!

(PS sorry, thread drift)

FairlieFlyer
25th Apr 2009, 05:16
further to groundBounds notes (no quotes sorry..)

re checking in early with children if anyone is expecting to use the bassinet, this too is not guaranteed even if pre-booking months in advance

we found out the hard way when a delightful austrian couple checked in on the day to these seats and refused to move, even when we showed with 4 month old baby in tow.

Purser requested them to move and they still refused - At this point everyone was at fault but we still had a baby to deal with

luckily after a concise discussion with the chief purser, spare seats in premium economy were found which the airline kindly upgraded us to.

racedo
26th Apr 2009, 00:07
we found out the hard way when a delightful austrian couple checked in on the day to these seats and refused to move

Adolph and Eva weren't their names ?

racedo
26th Apr 2009, 00:12
planning a family trip to orlando with BA in Nov. Man Friday Jnr will be 6 months and i want him to have his own seat.

any recomendations for the car seat i should buy to enable him to make use of his own seat.

This sounds more like you telling us that you are expecting a late night drive to the hospital sooooooooooon, followed by lots of panting, screaming and sweating and your better half will be having a baby at the same time.:ok:

Would suggest waiting a while before booking as some babies are good travellers and others are not and probably better to wait a month or two before really knowing whether you have one that can travel that far.

Either way good luck.