PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the Sun...

Richard Taylor
21st Apr 2009, 07:28
...but it may not be alright?

Astronomists say the sun is at its most dim for a century.

This lack of sunspot activity has seen all sorts of telescopes trained on it as experts try to carry out their studies (trust they are protected whilst they look!!

The last time there was such a lack of activity - the 17th century apparently, when there was no sunspot activity for 70yrs - a mini ice-age was the result.

Climate change? :ooh: Are we doomed?? :{

redsnail
21st Apr 2009, 07:33
No spots? Ahhh mustn't be a teenager any more and has started settling down. :ok:

ZEEBEE
21st Apr 2009, 07:44
In the geophysics industry, sunspots are bad news because they cause magnetic storms that have all kinds of complications when it comes to measuring the magnetic field of the Earth.

When I started in the industry about 1978, the number of sunspots (solar flares actually) were sufficient to cause us to lose one day or more in seven of survey flying. In some places it was even worse, three days in seven were unflyable.

In the last four years, I haven't heard of anyone losing even one day in that period through mag storms.

The Sun has certainly changed in the last five or six. Now.., it's a big deal when just one spot pops up, but it usually disappears before anyone can get a good look at it.

There is obviously some hysterisis involved betwen solar activity and it's effects on good old Earth, but I'm certainly expecting the cooling to happen.

We need all the CO2 that we can get....and these idiots are trying to cut it back :ugh::ugh:

sitigeltfel
21st Apr 2009, 07:48
the sun is at its most dim for a century.

Reflecting the intelligence of its readers :hmm:

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2009, 08:46
BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | 'Quiet Sun' baffling astronomers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8008473.stm)

Blacksheep
21st Apr 2009, 12:40
He added that the current slight dimming of the Sun is not going to reverse the rise in global temperatures caused by the burning of fossil fuels.I do wish they would stick to collecting the data until the human-cause hypothesis is actually proven. At the moment all I see is evidence of the 'abuse' part of statistics that we were warned about in Qualitative Analysis 101 - Use and Abuse of Statistics. Just because a correlationship appears to exist doesn't mean it actually does. In the majority of cases there is only a coincidence. :suspect:

er340790
21st Apr 2009, 14:06
I've been saying for two years now that we could be entering a mini ice-age. Winter here (continual snow-cover) started on Nov 9 and we're still snow-covered, so well over 5 months. Compare that to the 3+ months (mid Dec to mid March) from the Millenium to 2006.

Stands to reason, if solar activity peaked in 1985, it's going to start getting colder, period. Yes there may be a lag-effect from heat stored in the oceans or CO2-induced delay, but that's our lot.

It's the fault of all these desert religions. :yuk: We need to get back to good old-fashioned sun-worshipping!

See you in Florida.

Richard Taylor
21st Apr 2009, 14:27
The boffin I listened to this morning which drew my attention to the story also said that the sun being so quiet may in fact be masking the true effects of climate change - that it may have been more dramatic otherwise! :eek:

OFSO
21st Apr 2009, 16:00
The surface temperature of Mars is also rising and has been for three years.

Must be all those SUV's the Martians are tearing round the desert sands in.

22 Degree Halo
21st Apr 2009, 18:51
If the Sun had as many spots as me, we'd be in full blown solar maximum:}

Overdrive
21st Apr 2009, 20:43
The boffin I listened to this morning which drew my attention to the story also said that the sun being so quiet may in fact be masking the true effects of climate change - that it may have been more dramatic otherwise! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Quick out the blocks on that one, but not at all surprising.

Overdrive
21st Apr 2009, 20:47
Be very amusing if global warming is actually a temporary natural phenomenon to counter the dimming Sun.

Wouldn't it just!

(wonder how this will affect the chemtrails?)

Rollingthunder
21st Apr 2009, 21:13
I seem to remember an article about a week ago quoting a scientist who said sunspot activity would peak to such an extent in the next three years that electronics across the world would be in danger.

ChristiaanJ
21st Apr 2009, 21:44
Wasn't that the same article, that mentioned that the hot air produced by self-proclaimed "scientists" is now the primary cause of global warming?