PDA

View Full Version : Allegiance Air : Incident at Port Gentil

Teignmouth
21st Apr 2009, 04:45
Anyone know details of an incident at Port Gentil recently when an Allegiance Air BAe-146 apparently ran off the runway on landing?

spagiola
27th Apr 2009, 01:02
Bumping this back up in case someone has been able to find out some information on this incident.

sslut
27th Apr 2009, 19:18
'Twas Allegiance CONTRACTS (read in capital red flashing letters) not Allegiance Air. 146 overran the end of the runway and was evacuated via the rear doors. No further details known other than that accident investigations are proceeding.

Cave Troll
30th Apr 2009, 13:02
I have it on good authority that it was a down wind landing on a wet runway. Local gabonese crew were involved.

Before anyone from Gabon jumps on my head I do not have anything against gabonese pilots. That is just the way it was. A crap desision in crap wheather!

ct

generaalkassie
30th Apr 2009, 16:11
Everyone is brave to comment on someone else, i landed just after the bae overran the rwy. Yes there was a tail wind, yes viz was bad, yes turbulence was heavy.

He overan by less than 100m no damage to aircraft, nothing. In those met conditions no altn rwy exists. Because 03 has no ils. And last but not least tower gives no wind read out she simply says''wind is not available''.

If you have nothing good to say! Say nothing at all. No pilot would have landed a bae 146 at port gentil that day. Nothing played in their favour, they did a good job.

Cave Troll
1st May 2009, 08:35
Herr Generaal

I do understand your point and I do not doubt that they did a good job of reducing the damage etc however like you said "No pilot would have landed a bae 146 at port gentil that day." . I have flown into Port Gentil many times in bad weaher and in good. I have also flown the BAe as PIC into worse strips than Port Gentil so I know the risk at that airport. The fact is he made a bad call. I understand the ATC info there leaves much to be desired but if he had no wind info from the tower then there is such a thing as a wind sock. If it is not possible to see the wind sock due to the bad weather that day and he is unsure of the conditions on the ground surely that is an unsafe approach. My question is "Why did he push it" in those condidtions. There is a nice long runway with an ILS and acceptable weather info just 22 minutes away at FOOL that he could have diverted to.

Now I know this is all 20/20 hind sight and we may not have done any better in the same situation. But as I said in my previous post it was a crap decision in crap weather. i hope we can all learn from it.

ct

kleintjie
5th May 2009, 15:16
It's interesting to note that the co-pilot on board was not even type rated...

and that the amount of tires they went through prior (and still) to this due to locking wheels on landing is staggering..

;)