PDA

View Full Version : DGCA License Conversion Needed for Contract Work

Diamnd15
21st Apr 2009, 03:29
Have the opportunity to fly a brand new EMB-135 Legacy from the factory to India, and hopefully fly charters for a few months in India. The aircraft is going to be registered in India, and I'm a type rated FAA CPL pilot. I'm trying my hardest to get some information about wither or not i would have to transfer my license over to fly the Indian Registered aircraft for a few months. If anyone can provide me with some information on wither or not it would be required i would greatly appreaciate it. I tried giving the DGCA a call, but they weren't very helpful...

reynar
21st Apr 2009, 04:36
I assume the aircraft is a N reg aircraft, for N reg aircraft you will not need any DGCA license as long as the aircraft remains N reg, when the aircraft is registered to a VT registration you will be required to get a FATA which will allow you to fly the Indian aircraft when in India. On a side note the registration to VT can take a couple of months so you will have to learn to be patient when dealing with the DGCA. Good Luck

Diamnd15
21st Apr 2009, 04:46
thanks for that great information, the aircraft is new and currently either has pp, or pt registration from brazil. just looking into FATA now, it looks like they are still being issued to expats until 2010. Do you know if that's a very long process, and if i would still be able to attain one now. the aircraft is supossed to be picked up in a months time, and i'm really starting to begin none of this is going to just work out...

Thai Pom
21st Apr 2009, 07:07
you will have to learn to be patient when dealing with the DGCA.

This is an understatement!!!:ugh::ugh:

itsbrokenagain
21st Apr 2009, 18:20
My paperwork was into the DGCA on April 1, for approval to fly on my FAA license... will let you know when I get it.

Another guy on another forum had his security clearance in 3 weeks.

On a side note my Indian employment visa was issued by the SFO Consulate in 1 day!

The document you need to read is here : http://dgca.nic.in/cars/D7G-G2.pdf

saperaa
21st Apr 2009, 18:56
VALIDATION OF FOREIGN LICENCES OF FLIGHT CREW
1. INTRODUCTION
An Indian air transport operator can be permitted to employ flight crew holding
foreign licences issued by a contracting State of ICAO, to operate Indian
registered aircraft till Indian flight crew are trained and acquire appropriate
Indian licence and ratings.

this CAR is talking only ICAO states licence.

The flight crew should have been properly licenced and rated on the type of
aircraft by the competent authority of a contracting State in accordance with
the ICAO requirements and acceptable to DGCA India.

it looks DGCA can accomodate licence from other state if it meets ICAO requirments.

itsbrokenagain
21st Apr 2009, 21:17
I dont think you have to worry about the ICAO , nearly every country is a member state... ICAO Contracting States (188) (http://www.icao.int/icao/en/members.htm) .

The doc I posted applies to how they administer the CAR saperaa has given.

saperaa
21st Apr 2009, 21:58
What I interpret in Second part of the CAR (issued in 1999) leaves every thing on discretion (whims n fancies) of DGCA for issue or conversion of foreign license to Indian License.
This CAR is for issue of FATA,
If no qualified pilots available for brand new EMB-135 Legacy then DIAMND 15 will have no problem.

And no CAR abt 2010 so no worry. :ok:

spedfast
22nd Apr 2009, 06:14
@Diamnd15
You will need your employer in India to apply for your security clearance, by filling in appendix B of the mentioned CAR.
They will also need to state to DGCA that currently there are no type rated Indian pilots available for them to employ. Simple enough.
Your clearance should take 3 weeks or so, as mentioned.
When your clearance arrives back to DGCA, they will send your employer a note saying as much.
Then you can apply for the FATA. Interviews are held every Friday at DGCA and if you clear the interview, you will get a temporary authorization of 3 months, which can be extended by appearing in an Air Law exam.
Please make sure you go through the mentioned CAR, esp the part that details minimum requirements for P1 and P2, depending upon your case.
cheers

matthewgamm
22nd Apr 2009, 10:57
Back in 2005-2006, a pilot friend of mine with a US passport was able to sit for the DGCA exams, without needing to get any security clearance.
Have things changed since then? Because now, if you hold a foreign passport and wish to take the DGCA exams, you require an NOC from the DGCA, which is obtained after getting a security clearance. This even applies to folks with an OCI.

Diamnd15
23rd Apr 2009, 03:05
thanks guys, ill let you know how all this goes, really thanks again thought because i dont know where else i would have been able to get that info...