View Full Version : Handling The Big Jets - CPP Interview Prep

Flying Fat Angelo
21st Apr 2009, 00:53
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a copy of "Handling the Big Jets" in Hong Kong? I was reluctant to go through Amazon due to the shipping cost and timelines - ideally I'd love to pick it up in the next day or too.
Please let me know.

Cheers,
FFA

hihihi
21st Apr 2009, 02:52
Is that what the book is for stage 2 ?

Flying Fat Angelo
21st Apr 2009, 07:01
its been recommended as additional material to study... (not by CX recruitment, but by others I've chatted to)
unfortunately i can't find anywhere in HK to buy it... might be an Amazon job...

holdmetight
21st Apr 2009, 12:07
are you sure you want/need to read that?

i have a copy of the book, and judging from its contents, i would say it is more suitable for direct entry candidates, as opposed to prospective cadet pilots.

if you are looking to brush up your knowledge on jet aircraft, "FLYING The Big Jets" by Stanley Stewart would be much better. as far as i know there is a copy in the central library in causeway bay. as for PPL-level knowledge, apart from the usual textbooks, there is one called "From The Ground Up". it has a good summary of PPL-level knowledge.

good luck!

Pugilistic Animus
21st Apr 2009, 17:34
to really get every nuance in that book I suggest you have a little more than a few days,...read it about 100 times then you really see his points:}... for quick reference read the airplane flying handbook and and pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge,...that would get you through,..the interview,...not the mountains though:\

there are no easy answers in this business!!!
PA

Flying Fat Angelo
22nd Apr 2009, 00:25
thanks guys, you're advice is great.
i have found a friend i can borrow "handling the big jets" from, and i will definitely check out the one in causeway bay library.
ive also got a "basic aeronautical knowledge" text that i picked up in oz that is helping.
i know my weakness is the technical stuff so im trying to get a handle on as much as i can.
holdmetight - from previous threads i gathered you were going through your second selection process a few months ago - how is everything going? best of luck with it! :ok:

holdmetight
22nd Apr 2009, 14:11
Flying Fat Angelo,

i haven't been doing the CPP selection. that is the plan for the end of this year though, after i graduate from university... hopefully everything will go like clockwork!

good luck with your application! which stage are you up to now?

Andrew_W
24th Apr 2009, 10:21
In my stage 2 interview, the first question I got was about formation of Jet Stream. I got my PPL only and I'd been asked for ATPL stuff throughout my interview.

PPL + some CPL knowledge is for low hours or nil hours candidate. You can't guess what they will ask you. Read as much as you can and for interest(That's the most important!!).

I've got the book you are asking for. I reckon that's too advanced if you don't have enough basic knowledge and commercial knowledge.