PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking

ORAC
20th Apr 2009, 22:52
Stephen Hawking 'very ill' in hospital

Professor Stephen Hawking, one of the world's most famous scientists, is "very ill" in hospital, Cambridge University has announced.

A university spokesman said the 67-year-old physicist, who is best known for his book A Brief History of Time, was taken to Addenbrooke's by ambulance. "Professor Hawking is very ill," he added.

Prof Hawking suffers from motor neurone disease and is wheelchair bound. He speaks with the help of a voice synthesiser. He developed symptoms of the disease while studying in the 1960s and is one of the world's longest surviving sufferers.

He has worked at Cambridge's Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics for more than 30 years and since 1979 has been the University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics.

Prof Hawking was awarded a CBE in 1982, became a Companion of Honour in 1989 and is a Fellow of the Royal Society. He lives in Cambridge and has three children and one grandchild.....

"Professor Hawking is very ill and has today been taken by ambulance to Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge," said the University spokesman. "He is undergoing tests. He has been unwell for a couple of weeks."

Professor Peter Haynes, Head of the University's Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, added: "Professor Hawking is a remarkable colleague. We all hope he will be amongst us again soon."

tony draper
20th Apr 2009, 22:58
A bloody CBE? and they give football managers and actors freckin knigthoods.:(

G-CPTN
20th Apr 2009, 23:07
Given that he was told he probably had weeks to live when in his twenties he has confounded the 'experts'.
Stephen Hawking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking)

Apart from his scientific work (which is probably mainly couched in mathematics) he has probably advanced the perception of his motor neuron disease more than any other sufferer.

Davaar
20th Apr 2009, 23:08
they give football managers and actors freckin knigthoods.

Yes. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle proposed to decline the offer of the K. on the grounds that it was "the badge of the provincial mayor", and mentioned that to his Mum. Mrs Doyle was not at all pleased, and told her lad that to refuse would be a grave discourtesy to His Majesty. He therefore accepted.

But reflect on the Companion of Honour! No more may exist at any one time than the Sovereign and sixty-five members (no more than 45 of them Brits); so that is a pretty exclusive club.

bnt
20th Apr 2009, 23:29
Prof. Hawking was offered a knighthood, but declined it, saying he doesn't like the idea. (ref (http://www.nndb.com/people/563/000022497/)) (The list of people who have refused British Knighthoods is quite extensive, and includes the likes of Rudyard Kipling, Aldous Huxley, David Bowie, and W.B. Yeats.) Anyway, I hope he gets better soon, he still has work to do on Homer Simpson's doughnut-shaped universe theory. :8

G-CPTN
20th Apr 2009, 23:44
The list of people who have refused British Knighthoods is quite extensive
But not Brucie :E

BlooMoo
21st Apr 2009, 00:30
Hat's off to L S Lowry as apparently the current record holder for most British honours declined including CofH and knighthood.:ok:

Interesting (to me anyway) :

Stephen Hawking - declined knighthood but seems to have accepted CofH, he could teach all of us much of the real concept of the limit.

Aldous Huxley - declined knighthood, how could he not?

Francis Bacon - declined CofH and CBE but never offered knighthood, bizarre but kind of dark and quirky.

David Bowie - declined knighthood, made Mcartney look like a pensioner overnight.

List of British honours declined (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_declined_a_British_honour)

dogeared
21st Apr 2009, 08:48
The other week i had a labourer working with me,Your typical chav hoody type of lad.His perception of Stephen Hawkins was"that bloke off the Simpsons in the wheelchair"

BombayDuck
21st Apr 2009, 10:15
Doctors say his health is so bad, he'll never walk again.

okay, it ain't mine, but I laughed and I know I'm going to hell for it....

anotherthing
21st Apr 2009, 10:46
He might have turned down the K, but he is still pretentious. Why else would he put on an American accent when he's clearly a Brit?

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2009, 10:53
I believe that, at the time when he was offered the talking computer facility, only American voice synthesis was available.
After some years he was offered an upgrade but decided that the current voice had become associated with him and he decided not to change.
Incidentally:-
Hawking married his nurse, Elaine Mason (who was previously married to David Mason, the designer of the first version of Hawking's talking computer), in 1995.

unstable load
21st Apr 2009, 12:07
According to CNN his family say they are confident he will make a full recovery.

Their words (CNN's), not mine.

Chris P Bacon
21st Apr 2009, 12:20
He has been given a new hard drive and a reboot, so should be out of hospital in a day or two.

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2009, 12:52
BBC NEWS | UK | Hawking 'to make full recovery' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8010058.stm)

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2009, 13:53
Professor Stephen Hawking suffers from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), the most common form of motor neurone disease.

BBC NEWS | Health | Stephen Hawking's medical condition (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8009804.stm)

dazdaz
21st Apr 2009, 14:52
"Hawking married his nurse" Just a slight legal note on this. I take it under law, a marriage has to be consummated (us big boys and girls know what that means:E). So if this guy has no bodily movement arms legs and below the belt would his marriage be legal?

Anyway, hope his recover goes well and he's 'back on his feet in no time' err you know what I mean.:ugh:

Curious Pax
21st Apr 2009, 15:02
As a good wheelchair-bound friend, now sadly departed, once said to me "there's always a way". ;)

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2009, 15:06
Jane Hawking (née Wilde), Hawking's first wife, cared for him until 1991 when the couple separated, reportedly due to the pressures of fame and his increasing disability. They had three children: Robert (b. 1967), Lucy (b. 1969), and Timothy (b. 1979).
Agreed that his paralysis has probably been progressive . . .

forget
21st Apr 2009, 15:08
He had a blind date last week. She stood him up.

Old Photo.Fanatic
19th May 2009, 01:08
One part of my life I ran owned and ran a "Franchise" which was Valleting Computer/Office equipment.
As I lived in East Angular , I obtained lots of business with Cambridge University.
I used to clean all the Computers etc in the various "Maths" depts .
Including Steven Hawkins Office.
Thats it folks, no more to add!!!!!
OPF

Captain Stable
19th May 2009, 08:57
If you met him that often you would know enough to spell his name correctly.

green granite
19th May 2009, 09:01
As I lived in East Angular

Now I know why we are all round the bend in this part of the UK. :rolleyes:

Captain Stable
19th May 2009, 09:04
That's fair enough - after all, the Royal Anglian Regt are often referred to as the Angle-Irons (or the Royal Anglican Regt.) :}

Wyler
19th May 2009, 12:57
He was up on the ramp this morning, Doctors said. The right wheel has passed muster but the bearings on the left will need changing sometime soon. They've flushed the pooh tube, stay creased his trousers and fixed the chip in his glasses (covered by the insurance so no excess).
The doctor himself has said he is 'looking forward to getting back to wank' but that was thought to be a typo.

CR2
19th May 2009, 14:11
Am I having a sense of humor failure or are some of these "jokes" a bit "off"? :confused:

Overdrive
19th May 2009, 14:24
Am I having a sense of humor failure or are some of these "jokes" a bit "off"? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

In this case, I think the answer has to be "both". Not funny but funny.

OFSO
19th May 2009, 15:08
Sometimes if you can't laugh at the injustice of fate, you have to weep.

I have read A Short History of Time more than once. A good read, by the way.

(Incidently for those who didn't finish it, the butler did it. Oooh, what a give-away !)

Captain Stable
19th May 2009, 16:40
Go on - admit it - you only read the last page. :}

smo-kin-hole
19th May 2009, 17:21
There is a US company called Zero-G which does weightless parabolic arc flights in a 727. They donated a flight to Mr. Hawking and put him on a body board held in a mummy bag. Two crewmembers flipped him around at the point of weightlessness.

I realize this was a publicity stunt, but what a great stunt! He's got a huge grin on his face. Maybe somebody with a better PC could post it here. It made my day.:D

mona lot
19th May 2009, 17:28
Steven Hawking is about to publish another book, it is about time:ugh:

Rollingthunder
19th May 2009, 17:38
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/04/hawking-zero-g.jpg

http://www.ian.cz/redsys/upload/444-733.jpg

http://images.spaceref.com/news/2002/10.14.02.zerogcorp.jpg
Zero Gravity Corporation

smo-kin-hole
19th May 2009, 17:40
Thanks Rolling, not the pic I saw, but what a great shot!:ok:

mona lot
19th May 2009, 17:42
I just don't get it, everyone goes on about David Beckham being thick as pig****...... but no body says anything about Stephen Hawking being crap at football, do they?!

Give credit where it's due, - he's great at dribbling.

Radar66
19th May 2009, 17:51
More pics.

... :ok:

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/scientist/stephen_hawking_zero-gravity.jpg

http://www.fanboy.com/archive-images/zero-g-hawking.jpg

Video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXQeQD0CJzY). :)

pinkaroo
19th May 2009, 17:58
Apparently he is really rather unwell at the moment, has anybody tried turning him off and back on again?

Rollingthunder
19th May 2009, 18:10
Got to love the 727-200....if ever a Boeing could be labelled a sports car...this is it.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/103704752/Presidential_Class_VIP_Boeing_727_S_for_sale_by_low_price_Ai rcraft.jpg

Captain Stable
19th May 2009, 20:12
BoeingMEL - well done for keeping your sense of humour. It can't have been easy at times.

As I read the thread, I don't think anyone was making fun of a very nasty disease. I have heard Hawking himself on one or two documentaries make jokes about it. But then, I'm sure you'll say, he's entitled to.

I think it's a salutary reminder that none of us are immune from anything. I suspect that some of the posts on this thread are the equivalent of throwing salt over our shoulders.

Please keep smiling - you owe it to yourself. And thank you for posting.

OFSO
19th May 2009, 20:29
the equivalent of throwing salt over our shoulders.

During my 25 years living in Germany I noticed how Germans and British deal with fear completely differently. British make jokes about anything nasty to ward off the horror of the situation. Waiting for surgery in a German hospital I made jokes* which shocked Germans as they, under the same circs., would sit or lie silent and white-faced.

BoeingMEL, yes your coment was very apposite and had to be said and you're quite right. But it's only because we here on JB are scaredy-cats and can't face with any dignity the awfulness of spending a life in a wheelchair like the good professor. Or even the thought thereof.

* On the operating table, scrubbed, shiny, and with a most tender and sensitive part of me exposed through a fold-back window in the sterile cloth, in walks the surgeon, Prof. Dr. Med Strack. "Vell, Herr F---, haf we any last question to say today ?" he asked me with a smile. "Ja, Herr Dr" I answered, "Have you washed your hands this morning ?"

Horrified silence in the OP. Shocked look on anasthesiologist and nurse's faces. Staff stealing a look at Dr. Stracks face, not daring to smile, until his face cracked and he roared with laughter. "Ach, du Englander, immer der selbe..." he said, and they all joined in as the mask came down on my face and I passsed out.

He had his revenge as I left the hospital a week later: told me a joke that made me laugh so much I almost bust me stitches, and I had a dreadful hangover like most patients the morning they are discharged. But zat is, as he would have said, anuzzer story.

tinpis
19th May 2009, 20:51
I wonder....have they tried clearing his cache?

visibility3miles
19th May 2009, 21:39
Some of these jokes are so dark they don't matter -- they'll disappear down a black hole somewhere.

Stephen Hawking is a genius. His light will shine long after I'm gone.

Meanwhile, it's fun "playing on the sea-shore and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary". Newton

tony draper
19th May 2009, 21:56
I Would not put Hawkins up there with Newton, Hawkins is a fifty year genius,Newton was a once in a millennium Job,IMHO of course. :)

visibility3miles
19th May 2009, 22:03
Newton is easier to spell too.

Ye olde New Town? :confused:

Hawking requires talons.
Hawking has talents.

tony draper
19th May 2009, 22:15
In keeping with the times Newton seldom spelled his name the same way twice,they were more relaxed about such things in those days, the spelling police had yet to come unto the earth then.
:rolleyes:

visibility3miles
19th May 2009, 22:24
There is a Newton that split off from Cambridge in New England.

What's a Cam, anyway? What do you say when you cross that bridge?

I Cam, I saw, I fished?

I'll punt the question for now and watch New football.