PDA

View Full Version : 75 years ago.

con-pilot
7th Feb 2002, 20:05
Time flies, literally. 75 years ago the Ford Motor’s Company’s Airplane Division announced a new airplane design. The airplane would have three engines, an enclosed cockpit and an upholstered cabin. This airplane, of course, was the venerable Ford Tri-Motor.

As I am turning 55 this year (my 16th anniversary of my 39th birthday) this news really brought home how far the aviation industry has come in relative short time.

Just think, 75 years ago the latest, greatest, bestest and most modern airplane was the Ford Tri-Motor. Boggles the mind.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Feb 2002, 20:15
Sure thing.. What are our grandchildren going to be saying when they reach the same age? They won't be typing it on a Pentium that's for sure!!

Blacksheep
11th Feb 2002, 08:31
Years ago when I worked 747 Majors for the world's favourite one of my colleagues was sent on a Concorde course three years before he retired. We asked him what was his earliest involvement with aviation, thinking it would be Airspeed Ambassadors or something of that nature. In fact, as a Boy Scout he had helped on the mooring ropes during a visit to Croydon by the Hindenberg. That's quite a span - from Zeppelins to SSTs via Argonauts, Sratocruisers, 707s and Jumbos. Aviation has made some truly amazing advances in its short history.

**********************************. .Through difficulties to the cinema

KIFIS
11th Feb 2002, 11:42
Salut Con Pilot:. .I haven't seen you on the screen for some time. Does that offer to click a glass still hold considering I crossed swords with some of your compatriots once again. It concerned a different matter (from the first one) and thus I consider our cease fire still holds. I hope you do too.. .Regards,. .KIFIS

static
11th Feb 2002, 21:20
Aviation has made a rapid development indeed.. .However, although the 747 is now 30 odd years old, it could well be that I retire on it in 23 years from now. These are not the most interesting times in aviation.