PDA

View Full Version : What Now??

SayCheese
20th Apr 2009, 16:47
First time user, long time reader.

G'day.

Here's my question, long story short, was "layed off" due to the finance crisis, yes, I worked in the corporate section in Aviation. I went somewhat straight from flight school to my so called "dream-job". But now this job has bursed. And now on ground zero, I was lucky some months ago to interview at some big companies in my country, and for some reason I got the thumbs down, to my big disappointment. So, now I work as a freelance pilot, and the money are not stretching far enough... There is one light in the tunnel, I am offered an office job doing technical drawing, make the same money I did flying. But I really want to fly, but I do not want to go bankrupt. Also, my chance in my native country is limited because, those companies will only let you apply once, and I don't see any future in that freelance working, or not willing to use the left of my savings on type rating without guaranteed job... I've applied everywhere in Europe, and no single interview or nothing has come up :/. I'm 26 years old, and thinking maybe off career change, but have invested lots in aviation... What should I do ?? :ugh:

BigNumber
20th Apr 2009, 19:24
IMO - Simple: Do what lots of freelancers do.

Work both jobs! Take the office job and freelance as much as you possibly can around it. I'm sure your Biz Jet option operates Friday through Sunday?

Most importantly, stay current, wait for the up-turn in 2 years or so.

INNflight
20th Apr 2009, 20:54
I agree (unfortunately?).

Take the office job, it will pay the bills and feed you and your loved ones.

No flying job in sight here at my end too, and while I am somewhat lucky to actually like what I do at the moment, it still has me looking towards the sky every day.

Keep it up, there shall be brighter times ahead, and I agree, try freelancing besides the office job!

Good luck ( to all of us :8 )