PDA

View Full Version : Control Surface Balancing equipment for C172 and Piper Archer

klykas
20th Apr 2009, 09:04
Hello everybody , I am trying to design control surface balancing equipment to fit both Cessna 172 and Piper Archer and I have encountered a problem about the horizontal placement of the control surface. Maybe somebody knows how can I determine when the control surface's chord is horizontal to the level surface without having the dimensions of the control surface. I mean of course I have no problem with the rudder since it is symmetrical but what about the other surfaces? Please give me some thoughts!!! Or maybe somebody can give me the dimensions of the control surfaces of these two aircraft?

NutLoose
21st Apr 2009, 12:38
Is this the type of information you are after? I can sort out the Cessna for you as well if it is.

Though that Piper Beam is a bit of Overkill.

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=972&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=975&g2_serialNumber=1

klykas
22nd Apr 2009, 04:47
Thanks I have the service manuals but the problem I am facing is that I am not able to determine when the control surface (which is asymmetric) is horizontal to the level surface, i.e. its chord line is horizontal to the level surface (for example floor)

toolboxstickers
22nd Apr 2009, 13:04
Try: 1. Mark chord line on the end of the control surface.
2. Hang a plumbob from the fulcrum to give you your vertical axis.
3. Use a set square to check when the chord line is at right angle to plumbob.

NutLoose
22nd Apr 2009, 16:06
yep as said, or even draw a line down the chord on the end, then rest a small level on it until level, the 172 stuff gives you heights off the floor for ailerons etc if I remember correctly, the 152 though in the book is totally wrong.

stevef
22nd Apr 2009, 18:31
Agree. Another method sometimes used on fleet aircraft is to drill two 3/32" holes a few inches apart on the chord line, attach a couple of skin pins and then put a spirit level on them.

klykas
27th Apr 2009, 06:55
thank you very much for your answers..you helped me a lot. Just wanted to ask what about the stabilator of piper because the ends of the control surface are convex is there a possibility to mark the chord line, or is it a symmetrical surface, and I can then calculate the size of the block needed for the trailing edge by dividing the thickest part of the stabilator by 2 and then adding the height of the mandrel.