PDA

View Full Version : Top End Accomodation

Jay Bo
20th Apr 2009, 02:29
Just preparing myself for the journey up north in a year or so and would like some info in regards to accomodation around the NT, Kunnu's, Broome etc.
Obviously once landing a job and having to deal with limited funds would it be beneficial maybe to buy a tented trailer and just camp out for a year or so or are there better options out there

cheers

jungledriver
20th Apr 2009, 02:58
Bring money!

solowflyer
20th Apr 2009, 05:43
Some jobs have pilot accomadation supplied. However you wont save much tenting it over a dorm room at a backpackers these days. looking at $20 - $35a night for an unpowered tent site especially this time of year. Dorm rooms go for about the same coin but usually get all the mod cons to ie hot backpackers to chase, A/C, tv, internet access, etc not to mention making contacts with other pilots.

Have fun

Cravenmorehead
20th Apr 2009, 06:20
I don't think living in a tent or caravan park is a great option long term. Why not try the share accommodation advertisments in the local paper, you might even put an advertisment in yourself.
Place notices on local shops and backpacker notice boards, etc.
I once scored a lift (free) with a fun mob Darwin to Perth after putting a notice on a backpacker notice board.
Just remember there are always people looking out for others to share costs and expenses. Just remember to always be courteous and polite and doors open.
Have fun

The Green Goblin
20th Apr 2009, 08:52
I lived in a Tent in KX

Was bloody miserable when it rained and in the dry season I had never been so damn cold at night in all my life! BRING JUMPERS!!!

The backpackers is the ticket mate :)

Or buy a caravan and sell it when you get to darwin, you will make money as everything is far more than it should be. The average 1k piece of junk is a 5k car in the territory!

Maloo
21st Apr 2009, 04:46
When I was looking for work in Kunnas I got a job at the Hotel Kununurra and did enough hours to justify the hotel putting me up for $50 a week in donga. That included all meals and utilities. Otherwise we were faced with the rent in our cabin going to $750 a week!! The most expensive trailer trash ever. I've also stayed in backpackers for a while and there are worse options considering you get to be around backpackers and a clean dry room.

Mr. Hat
21st Apr 2009, 05:33
Bring money!
and plenty of it.

TRuck city in Darwin is a good spot:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:};).

AussieNick
21st Apr 2009, 07:40
mate give me a buzz when your getting ready to come to darwin, i should have a free room at my place you can crash at until you get sorted

tinpis
21st Apr 2009, 10:36
Pffftttt !..... things have slipped in, the early 80s in Kunnerwucka, I got free hotel room, free tucker, free piss, free car, and a personal barmaid :E

Flying Binghi
21st Apr 2009, 10:53
and a personal barmaid

Not one of these eh ?

THE Territory's race to find its ugliest bartender is almost at an end

Top barmaid Tania leading UGLY pack - Northern Territory News (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/11/26/18445_ntnews.html)