PDA

View Full Version : Household Bills Average??

davepearsall
19th Apr 2009, 21:11
Looking at a one bed house in my local area.

When I lived at uni we were lazy and got the landlord to pay the bills. He just added an extra tenner a week I think per person for the privilege.

This has led me to not have any idea about how much bills are going to cost me when I get a place of my own.

Does anyone know of any sites that can give me ball park figures of how much I will be paying.

Or if people are willing to disclose their living expenses, food, water,gas,electricity etc per month I would be more than appreciable.

goudie
19th Apr 2009, 23:19
My grandson has just moved into a 1 bedroom flat with his girlfriend. Per calander month:- Rent 450. Council tax 110. Gas 40. Electric 50. Water 25. Food 320. Welcome to the 'cost of living'!

Havana
20th Apr 2009, 00:34
Our costs are much the same although we have a 2 bed place and the rent is a bit higher.

We pay 450 each into a seperate account each month, this covers all house bills, incl phone, insurance TV etc. Over 2 years we have built up a comfy saving to cover at least 2 months house costs should we need it. We also use it now and then for any "joint" costs we may have

This does not incl food though, about 250-350 pcm

V2-OMG!
20th Apr 2009, 05:27
Food and utilities depends entirely upon how much you consume. One can be wasteful or thrifty.

Restaurant meals and convenience foods are expensive. The best investment I made were some freezer to oven/microwave containers with lids. Pre-planning is the key. I would set aside some time during the weekend to make the following week's work -day meals, then store them in the containers. I'd also wash some greens at the same time, put them in a zip-loc plastic bag - instant salad with the meal.

All the best as you step into the world of adulthood. I like it here. I wouldn't want to go back to my college/university days.

davepearsall
21st Apr 2009, 17:37
Guys thanks very much for your input.

With your help and having scoured through google I've a ball park figure of what we should expect.

Thanks again! :ok:

disco87
21st Apr 2009, 18:49
Just got my electricity bill, 170 for a quarter. My friends got their gas bill which was 300, although they say they are just going to move out and forget it.

Captain Stable
21st Apr 2009, 18:51
This has led me to not have any idea about how much bills are going to cost me when I get a place of my own.It also led you to having no idea whatsoever whether or not you were being ripped off. Sorry, I find that completely mindboggling, particularly since most students are fairly hard up.

Michael SWS
21st Apr 2009, 19:21
I'm a single person in a two-bedroom flat. I have gas central heating and hot water but tend to shower at the gym in the mornings. My gas bill averages out at 20 per month.

Water (metered) is about 15 per month. I don't pay for electricity because the builders forgot to install a meter when they built my flat.

But my grocery bill is about 400 a month. :eek:

Overdrive
21st Apr 2009, 20:38
I don't pay for electricity because the builders forgot to install a meter when they built my flat.

:ok:

(For truly accurate budgeting, remember to factor in the cost of their forgetfulness, the amount divided by the number of months you spend living there).

Rule3
21st Apr 2009, 21:37
"Food and utilities depends entirely upon how much you consume."
No shit Sherlock.:ouch:

V2-OMG!
22nd Apr 2009, 05:59
"Food and utilities depends entirely upon how much you consume."
No shit Sherlock

Rule 3, there's no harm in over-stating the obvious, expecially in cyber. Often, the light is on, but nobody's home.

MagnusP
22nd Apr 2009, 10:18
My friends got their gas bill which was 300, although they say they are just going to move out and forget it.

Great. So who's going to pay it? The landlord? Or will we all just pay higher prices so the utility companies can recover the money stolen from them? :ugh::ugh:

Scumbag O'Riley
22nd Apr 2009, 10:24
This has led me to not have any idea about how much bills are going to cost me when I get a place of my own.You have to be given an energy report now when you rent/buy somewhere. Whether this is much help to determine costs is debateable, but it should show where you can save money if insulation is less than recommended for example.

Costs will probably depend more heavily on what sort of deal you have with the gas/electric companies. We spend about 700 a year on gas/electricity and 100 a year or so on fire wood, soon to come down as have now sourced it for free. Five bed house, insulated as well as reasonably possible.

Constant battle with the mrs on what the thermostat is set to, so internal temperature depends on wins that night. Last teenager is leaving home soon so as she lives upstairs we will not have to heat that part of the house during the majority of the evening so that should save money too.