PDA

View Full Version : TNCM/SXM midfield turnaround bay

gear down props forward
19th Apr 2009, 14:07
I have been to TNCM twice. Both times were in a Lear 35 and we didn't need the turnaround bay (slowed sufficiently early in the rollout and made the ATC instructed turns at taxiway echo). Maybe a bigger airplane one day, but for now, just the Learjet.

When it says on the Jeppesen airport diagram...

"All jet aircraft landing Rwy 09 when using mid-field turning bay for 180degree turn and backtrack shall make all turns to the right.

All jet aircraft B767 category and heavier landing Rwy 09 shall roll out to the end of the runway, make use of the turning bay and make all turns to the right."

...does it imply scenario 1 or 2 below:

Scenario 1. Pass the turning bay, then turn hard RIGHT into the bay, keeping the majority of your jet exhaust north of the runway.

or

Scenario 2. As the turning bay taxiway line branches off to the RIGHT from the runway centerline at about a 30 degree, follow it, keeping the majority of your jet exhaust south of the runway.

Since either of these scenarios result in a turn to the right, which is the "right" way to do it? I'm leaning towards scenario 1, since there are houses abeam the turnaround bay on the south side of the runway. Scenario 2 does result in an initial right turn, eventually followed by a left turn out of the bay, which may be in contradiction to the "make all turns to the right" instruction.

Painting a couple yellow directional arrows on the turnaround bay taxiway lines for lead-in/lead-out guidance or placing a symbolic birds-eye view arrow on the airport diagram could help.

Anyone have any experience with this turnaround bay and its right turn policy?

Thanks.

Gear down props forward

DHC6tropics
20th Apr 2009, 20:59
Hey,

I always understood scenario #1 to be correct. I think the point is that they want you to make the actual course reversal (from 090 to 270) to the right. Of course it's 50/50 odds in real-life which way the jets actually turn (either from not reading the notation or not understanding it). There are some crappy little shacks just to the south of the airport fence and you'd probably be doing a public service if you blew them down with your jet blast.

Cheers,
HJ

chongololo
21st Apr 2009, 19:30
I agree with the above, scenario #1.
That's the way I've seen them do it there, it's tight either way, not much room for the heavies.

B Sousa
22nd Apr 2009, 08:46
You fixed wing guys cause all sorts of problems. Last time I flew in there in a B407 from TIST. Had me vectored out over the water on a ten mile final behind some Big Tourist Tube..........
When will they ever learn......Helicopters. We don need no stinkin vectors.:ugh: