PDA

View Full Version : A happy Aberdeen offshore helicopter story for a change...

one-punch-mickey
19th Apr 2009, 10:51
Congratulations to the Scotia S92 crew and the Radar Controller for basically saving the kneck of a foreign Cessna 182 Pilot lost in cloud over Aberdeen yesterday. Bloody good job all around and great to have a happy ending for once.

After losing GPS above cloud enroute to Inverness the Cessna pilot was neither confident or indeed qualified to let down through cloud. After lot's of effort by the controller and HKS crew they managed to guide him into Aberdeen for a safe landing.

I do hope the foreign Pilot made a couple of phone calls afterwards!

heli-cal
19th Apr 2009, 12:01
Very well done! :ok:

TiPwEiGhT
19th Apr 2009, 17:21
I agree, well done to the crew of CHCK and Paul from NATS at ABZ!

Good effort gents!

TiP

T4 Risen
19th Apr 2009, 17:53
Bit of good publicity for North Sea Heli's for a change...Bet the BBC/Sky dont go on about this one much!!!
Well done Guys :ok:

Beaucoup Movement
19th Apr 2009, 20:42
We were coming back from an offshore trip & was listening to the radio transmissions on the other box. The cessna pilot certainly did well to keep calm especially as he got to above 5000 feet & fuel reserves becoming low as it did seem to last pretty much most of our inbound leg! :rolleyes:

I would also like to congratulate the CHC crew & the air traffic controller for their effort & hard work resulting in a successful ending. :ok:

Brilliant Stuff
19th Apr 2009, 21:29
Well done to everyone involved!:ok:

VeeAny
19th Apr 2009, 22:45
Well done to all of you.

GS

heliwes
20th Apr 2009, 06:54
Can you expand on what the S92 crews role was in this....?

3PARA
20th Apr 2009, 08:00
I believe the S92 was vectored to intercept the 182, formated with Him at a safe distance, Located a hole in the cloud through which they could both descend & shepherded Him to ABZ until He (eventually) became visual with the field.I think they had to make 2 approaches before the 182 driver saw the field.
:ok: