View Full Version : Need to get to LAX

Sensible
20th Mar 2001, 04:35
I have found a three week space in my commitments to enable me to do some flight training in LAX. The problem is that I have tried to get a direct flight but have been advised by my usual agent that I have left it too late to get a flight out this Thursday/Friday/Saturday
Can anybody tell me how "Standby" works? failing that, any ideas for getting a flight out from LGW for three weeks? Time is of the essence!

Cheers!!

Cyclic Hotline
20th Mar 2001, 06:27
Sensible,
Go to "Yahoo" home page.
Click on "Travel" in the menu.
Enter airports LGW & LAX.
Click on "Show me airlines" - this option will show you the cheapest fares and the dates they are available. Should be able to travel Thursday!

I show seats available on American Airlines (+ others) for $315.00 (+ tax) Round Trip. All these fares are 3 day advance purchase.

Good Luck.

Trislander
20th Mar 2001, 18:57
Standby is when you book a place on a certain flight, you go to the airport to check in normally, then wait to see whether someone who has booked a seat on the flight doesn't turn up. (it happens a lot). So when the check in closes for that flight and someone has missed it, they will tell you to go through to the departures lounge. Usually happens that way. Good luck!

Tri

Sensible
20th Mar 2001, 21:23
Thanks very much for the responses, I have now managed to book a flight with Virgin from LHR. It seems that there was a communication problem between myself and the booking agent, I was looking for a direct flight from LGW to LAX preferably with a British carrier but it seems that there is no such service.