PDA

View Full Version : Concorde 101 final landing at Duxford - Video ?

diddy1234
19th Apr 2009, 08:44
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a video of Concorde 101 final landing at Duxford in 1977.

I have found pictures here :-
CONCORDE SST : 01 at Duxford : 1977 arrival (http://www.concordesst.com/duxford/archive/archivepics2.html)

I was wondering since the runway was so short if the landing was a bit 'hairy'.
I know that the runway is shorter now but I cannot remember the original runway length.

I have seen the video of the B-52 landing at Duxford and this was tight ( braking parachute and full reverse thrust needed).
Apparently the fuselage had various crease marks after wards.

603DX
19th Apr 2009, 10:23
I've looked closely at the Duxford B52 in the region of the fuselage skin above the nosewheels and forward. The monocoque structure has what looks like a classic tension/compression field pattern clearly visible each side of the aircraft. I had concluded that this was solely due to the shear force from the dead weight of the long nose cantilever, acting at the nosewheel as the static support.

However, your comment about crease marks noted after the final landing suggests another possible contributory cause. The braking parachute and reverse thrust would have been accompanied by heavy braking I would expect, and the nosewheel braking force acting with the lever arm of the nosegear height would apply a hefty bending moment to the fuselage at that point. Maybe this might have been responsible for some of the skin rippling in that region?

diddy1234
19th Apr 2009, 10:38
603DX, the landing of the B-52 can be seen here:-

YouTube - B 52 Landing at Duxford (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSIGd6COFb8)

The landing does look a little heavy as the aircraft does bounce on touch down.
Maybe this is what caused the creases.

Bullethead
19th Apr 2009, 10:57
The BUFFS are like the rest of us that are getting on, wrinkly!

Groundloop
19th Apr 2009, 12:58
Bullethead is right. ALL B52's are wrinkly, nothing to do with the landing at Duxford.

Liffy 1M
19th Apr 2009, 15:49
Also the B-52 had no reverse thrust, as far as I know. The type would always have been operated from long runways and the missions for which it was designed would involve landing at relatively light weights, i.e. after consumption of mission fuel and without a heavy payload. The same philosophy applied to the KC-135 (other than the 'E model, which was retrofitted with JT-3D engines from redundant civilian Boeing 707s).

Seat62K
20th Apr 2009, 06:15
I'd be interested to know if there are videos of any of the airliners landing at Duxford, the VC10 especially.