PDA

View Full Version : The Missing Piece

Air Profit
18th Apr 2009, 17:04
It seems that the company's cynical and manipulative 'offer' is missing one very important aspect: namely, if there are compelling financial circumstances that warrant the temporary cuts and new contracts, then there must EQUALLY be language that restores such cuts as and when the financial situation has returned to normality. Without such language, CX is merely using a short term financial wobble to justify permanent cuts. No other airline I know of would take from their employees without a 'snap back' provision also being incorporated. I suggest to the members, and the AOA that no agreement can be considered until this simple but fair aspect is included. :=

luvmuhud
18th Apr 2009, 23:35
Excellent point.

I am sure that the directors who have agreed to hand back their 2008 bonuses and/or participate in the SLS will receive ample compensation in the 'good times' ahead.

I am equally as sure that the pilot body will get nothing back but a continuation of broken promises and delay tactics.

lmh

Rook
18th Apr 2009, 23:52
"No other airline I know of would take from their employees without a 'snap back' provision also being incorporated."
lol Are you kidding me!? Have you been outside in the last 30 years. Name one that would without a fight.

sizematters
19th Apr 2009, 00:44
I seem to recall that during SARS we all took 4 weeks leave and lost 4 weeks pay...............Shortlyafter SARS was over we all recieved a "Special Bonus" of 4 weeks Money....................

I sat in a Bar talking to a guy who just lost his job (not aviation) and every headline I read says "Such & Such a Company to Lay off XXX workers"

Sign me up , lets get through this and keep everyone reaching the 26th of each month !!!

Apple Tree Yard
19th Apr 2009, 02:36
size matters....and to what cost exactly? Is there no threshold that you would suggest determines a different and harder response? Your supine attitude has allowed CX to degrade EVERY SINGLE MAJOR CONDITION of our employment over the past 15 years. As I mentioned several weeks ago, when I see the airline cancelling a/c orders, laying off staff, and most importantly laying off management and cutting their pay, THEN I will conclude that 'times are tough'. Has it not occcured to you and your like that this airline has been earning enourmous profit for over 60 years?! What exactly is the point of that, where has all that money gone, and more importantly, why should we panic the first time we have a difficult year? The fact that there is not a provision to return this money to the staff when there is demonstratable improvement in the financials is all the proof needed to conclude that this is nothing more than a cynical cost cutting exercise, designed to lower yet again the base line pay and benefits of our profession. Your attitude is EXACTLY what they are looking for. Weak and pathetic. Go ahead and roll over, just kindly stop pretending that this is all justified. At least be a man and accept that this is all about power and greed.

ps. funny thing about your comments...you mention that 'such and such company is LAYING OFF xxx number of workers'..... That is exactly what we would/should be doing if this was indeed a REAL crisis. Hmmm, a bit odd that we are not doing so....how curious. :ugh:

Dragon69
19th Apr 2009, 03:16
Good post ATY

Sqwak7700
19th Apr 2009, 06:52
Really good post ATY, I couldn't agree more with your comments. This whole raw deal is not even 3 days old, and guys you fly with are already justifying it and endorsing it. What an easily convinced and gutless bunch we are.

My point is that technically we are still growing. With arrivals of 777s and 747ERFs, the aircraft we have parked are not enough to shrink the fleet yet. The reason that they can't announce furloughs is that they don't have enough crew to do so. Even with the capacity reductions they have announced, the airline will still run understaffed.

Cathay is just using this opportunity to take a bigger share of the pie by convincing others that they are not as hungry as they are. It takes a real 6 year-old mentality to be convinced by such tactics.

The real question is how many of us will tighten our belts and straighten up, and how many of us will roll over and spread them cheeks. :yuk:

Jack57
19th Apr 2009, 07:53
Good post ATY

Size matters - I can only assume you are taking the p***