PDA

View Full Version : Mid Air collision Perth Airport

ZEEBEE
18th Apr 2009, 08:21
A report in the West Australian of a model aircraft colliding with a Virgin 737 that was on approach.

Don't know which runway, but apparently a couple of kids were flying an R/C model aircraft only 500 meters from the threshold.

Could only have been 21 or 24 I guess.

Apparently the model aircraft came out second best.

Comoman
18th Apr 2009, 08:50
That's a somewhat inflammatory thread title isn't it?

RYAN TCAD
18th Apr 2009, 09:02
How else would you describe it...

ZEEBEE
18th Apr 2009, 09:10
That's a somewhat inflammatory thread title isn't it?

A. Got your attention didn't it ? :}

B. As Ryan said, what else would you call it ?

Zoomy
18th Apr 2009, 09:14
If you are from the media, probably like this:

Single engine manually controlled beechcraft baron collides with virgin 747 at Perth.:rolleyes:

pa60ops
18th Apr 2009, 09:40
No, it would not be a Beech Baron, but rather a Cessna Baron Arrow I think. :confused:

TBM-Legend
18th Apr 2009, 09:53
not on the subject but tonight's ABC news showed the boat people burn victims arriving at BNE in a "Hercules" which looked like a C-17 to me!

Towering Q
18th Apr 2009, 10:22
All small aircraft are Cessnas.

P.O.M
18th Apr 2009, 13:09
....and all RAAF transports are Hercules....:hmm: :}

coke drinker
18th Apr 2009, 13:38
I saw footage of a hercules the other night with the voice over saying the asylum seekers arrived in an Air Force jet....now I know a C130 is a turboprop, but that's stretching it a little!

Runaway Gun
18th Apr 2009, 23:36
Isn't a C-30 an Army plane anyway? ;)

ZEEBEE
18th Apr 2009, 23:47
If you are from the media, probably like this:

Single engine manually controlled beechcraft baron collides with virgin 747 at Perth.

Well, I extracted the data from the media as per the OP, so did they get the affected airline and aircraft right ? Dunno.

Was hoping for some corroborative information as this had the potential to be quite serious.
If it was a 737, then an R/C model getting the treatment in one of intakes wouldn't be all that good for the engine.
Also, I'm intrigued about how anyone could get that close to an approaching aircraft in Perth.
Most models above ,say 300ft, are pretty difficult to fly accurately as they get pretty small for accurate attitude control.

Finally....Does this pose a security risk if you can read between the lines ? :eek:

Dog One
19th Apr 2009, 00:25
One thinks that its probably not from one of the recognised RC clubs, as all club's are members of the National Association (MAAA) and have recognised flying fields etc.

Unfortunately these days you can go into most toy/electronic shops and buy a "park flyer" which comes completely ready to fly including radio. No training, no knowledge of rules, no insurance required. These are reasonably small electric powered aircraft, and being light, would react to any thermal. Height control by inexperience flyers would be hard to achieve.

the wizard of auz
19th Apr 2009, 00:52
Dog one beat me to it. Probably a park flyer flown by a non MAAA member. can be bought over the internet for as little as a dollar and some people actually manage to get them airborne for a few minutes.
Most of us Modelers that have decent models (Mine start at third scale and get bigger) have far too many $$$ tied up in the model to risk it anywhere near a airport. besides, most of us know the risk to aircraft and are responsible enough to stay the hell away.

ZEEBEE
19th Apr 2009, 01:07
Wiz and DogOne

As a long time Aeromodeller i go along with you totally, but in some ways a decent size model appropriately "fitted out" represents a greater risk to the travelling public than my old Auster that I have to secure every time it comes out of the hangar.

How long before aeromodellers will have to have ASIC cards to fly their machines ?:ugh:

Joker 10
19th Apr 2009, 01:15
Maybe they need transponders !!!!!!!

Dog One
19th Apr 2009, 02:52
Normally, most model fields are away from airports, except the one at East Point in Darwin. There, the modellers and the airport seem to be able to exist together without any problems.

piston broke again
19th Apr 2009, 05:01
ATSB are still searching for the flight recorder of the doomed model aircraft...

the wizard of auz
19th Apr 2009, 06:20
Zeebee. your full of surprises mate. I had no idea you were an aero modeler.
The subject of ASIC and models has been discussed at length around our crowd, and we have come to the conclusion that. as it would be complete stupidity, and completely unnecessary, we should see them being implemented shortly by our knee jerk, reactionary government departments. :ugh:

peuce
19th Apr 2009, 06:33
Don't worry WIZOZ, it wasn't one of your mob's ... I've heard it on good authority that it was a GPS-Guided Buzz Bomb :eek:

ZEEBEE
19th Apr 2009, 10:07
The subject of ASIC and models has been discussed at length around our crowd, and we have come to the conclusion that. as it would be complete stupidity, and completely unnecessary, we should see them being implemented shortly by our knee jerk, reactionary government departments.

Wiz....That's the most scary thing I've heard in a while...particularly since you're SPOT ON :sad:

Capt Claret
19th Apr 2009, 10:24
About 25 years ago, Claret's two brothers were out driving. One happened to have his unflown, and first built radio-controlled model aeroplane in the boot. They happened past VFL Park, Waverley, which was not being used at the time.

On a whim, they decided to try the model aeroplane. Getting airborne was easy. Keeping it in sight and under control was not. The model duly disappeared.

On their way home, they drove along the freeway and passed the obliterated wreckage of a radio-controlled model aeroplane, in the middle of the road. One shudders when thinking what damage it could have caused had it ploughed into a moving vehicle.

Claret's brother never did build another plane ...

Fliegenmong
19th Apr 2009, 11:09
Fliegs & Jnr Fliegs have some experience with small model A/C , attachd video evidence from winter 08, over central Gold Coast, twice the height of Royal Pines Resort, some great footage!, This is mid winter!, no wonder you all want to move here!!!:}:}:hmm::hmm:

Great footage hey? Great experiment with ny Son & I!!!!:8

(Scratch built Eastwind Models 'Gemini', finished off in American Eagle colours), just like so many American Eagle A?C we see regularly at LAX:rolleyes::8:O

YouTube - RC Twin Gold Coast 31 July 08 0002 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCFJCO6SiZY)

Good fun stuff, I'm sure you would agree!!!!:ok:

the wizard of auz
19th Apr 2009, 11:16
Capt claret, that is not an uncommon occurrence. you would be surprised how many people do the very same thing........ especially now that the ready to fly cheap and nasty models are about in abundance. Terrible shame too, as that usually signify's the end of the crashee's interest in modeling. If people go to a model club and actually learn to fly, they will usually invest in a much better quality aircraft and enjoy both the modeling and social side of RC.
If one of mine wandered off on its own accord and the fail safes didn't catch it, I'm not sure whether I would chase it down to try and recover up to $10K worth of equipment, or run like buggery, as most of my gear weighs in at over 25Kilos and run from 50 to 200cc two stroke petrol engines......Mucho damage factor. :ooh: even some of my Helicopters come close to 15 Kilos. :eek:
Zeebee. next time I'm down your way I shall bring something to fly and catch up. :}

the wizard of auz
19th Apr 2009, 11:18
Flycam one????. shame its on one of them lecric fings. :E

Fliegenmong
19th Apr 2009, 11:27
Yeah I know bugsmasher...I also love the smell of nitro fuel burning and fondly fondly remember the sight old 049 Snerurl (?) porting glowing red on an evening moddel flight, but the elctric thing..people don't even known you are doing it.....really, having stuffed about with tuning twins, and when it is so easy with electric...and you can do it in the park at the end of tht street, or at least I can do it in the park at the end of my street FANTASTIC!:D:D

Fliegenmong
19th Apr 2009, 11:30
:=Actually....landing in my street..:E::D:E:D

YouTube - Ashmore Street Landing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEoRKqS_qUk)

:8:cool:

Fliegenmong
19th Apr 2009, 11:36
:\....here is a compilation from my old Sukhoi...:{...:ugh:

YouTube - RC SukHoi SU31 Gold Coast Compilation 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBphqEVZJFY&feature=channel_page)

'Twas a magnificent A/C!!:cool::cool:

:{

Fliegenmong
19th Apr 2009, 11:41
YouTube - RC Twin Gold Coast 1 Aug '08 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DgGy7dv8zQ&feature=channel_page)

:ok:

Fliegenmong
19th Apr 2009, 11:44
:E.

YouTube - Model Cessna Over Ashmore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_GNEZ4Vc0)

:E

All in good fun..

the wizard of auz
19th Apr 2009, 12:17
so .... we should carry this conversation on in FG's, RCU or RCG. I am pretty easy to recognize over there. :E

freshy1234
19th Apr 2009, 16:37
Finally....Does this pose a security risk if you can read between the lines ? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Yeah, it's them damn terrorists again... :}

Aviation and the media do not mix. :=

mmciau
19th Apr 2009, 20:04
Come what may, I suspect the authorities will try to retrieve the model aircraft so they can test the DNA!!

Mike

ZEEBEE
20th Apr 2009, 01:38
Yeah, it's them damn terrorists again...

It's not the "again" that is of concern.

The worry is that improperly used, a model aircraft in the wrong hands represents a much greater threat to the flying public than not carrying 50 mls of fluid on board. (I don't wish on a public forum to spell out "HOW")

I don't quite understand how this has been so obviously overlooked. (or has it?)

And who's to say that this little incident that got a tiny write-up in the West Australian wasn't a test run for something more threatening.

I know that sounds a bit melodramatic (and I apologise) but would hate for something worse to happen and no-one took any notice.

But Wiz is probably right....Just make sure that all legitimate aeromodellers who know better have ASICS and it will all be fixed :ugh:

henry crun
20th Apr 2009, 10:50
wizof auz & Fliegenmong: Do you ever attract the same sort of appreciative audience that gather to watch me fly ? :}

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/crun9/merlin2.jpg

the wizard of auz
20th Apr 2009, 11:05
I use my big (1/3 scale) gasser cub to muster ducks, swans, Kangaroo, goats and sheep at my field. as an ex mustering pilot, Its a hoot. I'm not sure they are appreciative though. :E

ZEEBEE
20th Apr 2009, 13:06
I use my big (1/3 scale) gasser cub to muster ducks, swans, Kangaroo, goats and sheep at my field. as an ex mustering pilot, Its a hoot. I'm not sure they are appreciative though.

You have a 1/3 Scale Cub ???? :ok:

Wow, you could almost get in one that big!:E

the wizard of auz
20th Apr 2009, 13:28
you know I was going to do it. :}
yes Zeebee.... I have a 1/3 scale cub. I love it because it flys just like the real thing. I also have a 40% Sukhoi and a 46% Ultimate............ along with a huge pile of others.... then there is the Helicopters. :E
The Cub is a beautiful airplane, but not quite big enough to climb into.
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/9/1/6/4/7/a2247506-83-100_3492.jpg
she does tow 4 and 6 meter gliders around with authority though.
the biglift does a fine job also. :ok:
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/9/1/6/4/7/a2247504-33-100_3422.jpg
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/9/1/6/4/7/a2247507-140-100_3509.jpg
and many many others. :ok:

Much Ado
21st Apr 2009, 02:57
Hmmm...wonderful thread this.:hmm:

Seeing as I cant think where to send it too...there not being an RC section of this Professional Pilots forum I think I will just lock it instead.:ok: