PDA

View Full Version : Burton Albion

twinjetter
17th Apr 2009, 21:13
Any other Burton Albion fans out there wondering how it is possible to throw away an 18 point league lead?

Impossible I hear you say...well I give you living, breathing, yellow-and-black proof that with enough focus and committment; one can successfully put together a losing streak of such proportions.

With one league match left to go, I challenge anyone to highlight any equal or better sporting examples of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Please, do your worst.

I will take the expected singular lack of replies to my request as proof-positive that Burton failing to get promoted is both physically and statistically impossible.:8

Anyone got the MUFC supporter's website address? I think I need a change of allegiance!:ok:

TWJ

22 Degree Halo
17th Apr 2009, 21:34
who?

Sprogget
17th Apr 2009, 21:40
Nigel, Nigel give him a wave:}

twinjetter
17th Apr 2009, 21:48
Thankyou Sprogett - I would actually take Brian as Manager right now, but I reckon there's probably health and safety rules about that sort of thing:)

22deg - sorry, I should have clarified. We have a game in these parts colloquially known as "football" It's played with a ball (hence the "ball" part of the name), and usually 44 feet (pertaining to the "foot" in "football"). These feet are paired up and attached to 22 "players".
Check it out on wikipedia; I reckon that this "football" has a future:p

JennyB
17th Apr 2009, 21:59
Not in Burton by all accounts

twinjetter
17th Apr 2009, 22:01
Ouch - 1-0 to JB:ok:

Lon More
17th Apr 2009, 22:04
Hence the expression - gone for a Burton

highlight any equal or better sporting examples of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Any sporting team with the word "English" in the name:\

Sprogget
17th Apr 2009, 22:13
Little Clough is by all acounts, a chunk of quality. It must smart to miss him after all those years. My sympathies TJ & remember, the best refrain in the game - there's always next season.:ok:

twinjetter
17th Apr 2009, 22:14
LM - you guys are killing me:ok:

Apparently that saying came from one of the W. Wars, when dead/MIA comrades were described as such meaning that they'd basically "popped out for a pint" rather than the sadly blindlingly obvious - I guess the denial, albeit jokingly; went a little way to maintaining their sanity on the front. Stand to be corrected on this.

Oh the halycon days when Burton actually brewed beer worth drinking (and probably football worth watching)

twinjetter
17th Apr 2009, 22:22
Sproggett - he was always gonna go, but he could've have at least gone at the end of the season - thing is that Derby may have dropped w/o him. No hard feelings at all towards Clough jr - top guy all round.

We've still got the points in the bag, and ironically my adoptive home-town (CBG) are the only one's who can catch them.

Ref next season - yeah right...I've always rated Rooney, Ronaldo, (insert next wunderkind here) et al since before I'd heard of them:). Must check AA routefinder to see how long it'd take me to get to MAN! Fickle? Moi? Joking? Yes.

Evening Star
17th Apr 2009, 22:42
Any other Burton Albion fans out there wondering how it is possible to throw away an 18 point league lead? ...

... living, breathing, yellow-and-black proof that with enough focus and committment ...

Well, seeing as in our, Oxford, first non-league season since before I was aware of football (born in Oxford 46 years ago last month!) we managed to throw away a dream start to the season and end up with nothing, it is possible. Still, excellent result just when I was writing off any hope of making the playoffs. To be fair, probably only postponed the Burton party and playoffs remain a dream...:hmm:

Sprogget
17th Apr 2009, 23:17
but he could've have at least gone at the end of the seasonAww be fair feller - you had years out of lil Cloughie, in your heart of hearts, do you think he could have ignored the call? ps I'm a Spurs fan!:(