PDA

View Full Version : Bizjet vs Airliners

kharmael
17th Apr 2009, 19:21
Evening all,

Firstly I hope this is posted in the correct forum and I haven't overlooked any FAQs or obvious search results. But really I wanted to hear direct from the people in the know! :ok:

In this hypothetical situation where licence issues were irrelevant: how would flying bizjets with say, NetJets compare to Airliners in terms of variety of flying and "keeping it interesting"?

Would a background in medium twin turbines (Let's say GlobalExpress... :8) be a blocker to applying for the larger 747 types in the future?

Mercurial Buckets! :}

No RYR for me
17th Apr 2009, 20:48
Compare this:

1)what is more fun, driving the no 9 bus every day from a to b or driving a mercedes with interesting people. This is the difference between scheduled and biz jets

2)what do you like more. Work for a professional limousine outfit or for a cheap cab company. This is the differences between the TAG Aviations and NetJets of the world versus small unstable charter comapnies that make up 80% of the industry, all with 2 or 3 aircraft.

Would a background in medium twin turbines (Let's say GlobalExpress... ) be a blocker to applying for the larger 747 types in the future? The route is more the other way around. I am only talking NetJets and the like here: we get the long range guys who are tired of the lifestyle and the Jetlag...

Reading your post I assume you are starting in the industry and see the 747 as your goal? Give it a few years and your goals will move big time. Hope the above helps :)

Adios
18th Apr 2009, 00:26
I doubt a 747 Operator would take you straight from a Global Express into a jumbo. You'd probably have to cut your airliner teeth on something in the 50-60 ton range before you'd be assigned to a long haul fleet. I'm willing to bet you'd see long haul as boring as hell after flying a bizjet though.

Groundloop
18th Apr 2009, 11:40
I doubt a 747 Operator would take you straight from a Global Express into a jumbo.

Although airlines like SIA used to take (and probably still do) cadets straight off a Learjet on to the 747!:ok:

redsnail
18th Apr 2009, 23:02
Flying a Global Express (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Global_Express) would not be a hindrance to flying a B747, although I suspect you'd be frustrated with long haul in a B747 after flying a GLEX.

While a GLEX is about 40-45 tonnes, it's hardly a basic aircraft.

Bizjets as operated by NetJets is pretty interesting and no 2 hours are the same. The beauty with NJE is that you can do whatever flying you want within reason. At the mo, I do a good mix of short and medium haul flying with a mix of visual flying and instrument flying. Yes, the SOPs are very "airline-like" which is good for standards and for the mix of crew we have. More often than not we go to airports we've never been to before and the SOPs and support from the company make it a bit of a non event. :)

Airline flying? Personally, it doesn't appeal to me. I am not obsessed with the heaviest aircraft nor the fastest. So, flying a Boeing (or Airbus) that weighs 50-60 tonnes or even 400 tonnes is well, not that fascinating to me.
While I like gadgets and new toys, I'd rather fly a bizjet. Falcon 7X. Hawker 4000. Gulfstream 550. All nice. :}

It's the variety & destinations that appeal. Also, the pax interaction is great.

Aerouk
18th Apr 2009, 23:11
Redsnail,

What's the normal experience levels for those joining the private industry? Are they mostly ex-mil or just guys with a large amount of hours? What was your previous airlines/aircraft if you don't mind me asking?

redsnail
18th Apr 2009, 23:47
Bush flying in Australia on C206s
Coast watch in Australia on BN2
regional airline flying Bandeirantes & Twin Otters. (FO)
regional airline flying for Qantaslink Dash 8 (FO)

Shorts 330/360 night freight FO in Britain.

Turbine time prior to NJE about 1800 hours.
Total time overall 5100 hours.

For NetJets Europe, min time to get in is 1500 hours. Usually some piston charter with King Air time or Beech 1900 is the minimum. More often it's B737 or Dash 8 time etc.

There is our Beech 1900 operation, min hours is 500.

There is the cadet scheme with OAA.

However, the usual is 2,000-4,000 hours with either airline turboprop, jet or mil experience. We have ex Concorde captains, former B744, B767 & A320 plus former F16 display pilots.

It's not just "hours", it's also the person that is very important. You are meeting and greeting some pretty influential people but also, you are teamed with the 1 person for 6 days and you'd better get on or else it's a l..o..n..g tour.

At the moment, NJE isn't hiring. Sorry.

Aerouk
19th Apr 2009, 01:45
Thanks for the reply.

It's not something I could apply for now due to the amount of hours I have, but its certinaly something I would be interested in later on in my career. I seen a number of biz jets around Luton last week and it did look good.

Thanks again.

Checkboard
19th Apr 2009, 09:53
You'd probably have to cut your airliner teeth on something in the 50-60 ton range before you'd be assigned to a long haul fleet.

So with 12k hours, and 8k on 50-60 tons, as a 737 Captain, I am still "cutting my teeth":confused: :ugh:

kharmael
19th Apr 2009, 12:48
Thx for the insight Redsnail and everyone else.

You're basically telling me exactly what I want to hear! :ok:

I can't help but notice no Long-Haul mates are coming to stick up for their camp! :{ Nobody got anything good to say about it in comparison to Bizjetting?

redsnail
19th Apr 2009, 14:26
Biggest problem with this forum is that the employed pilots don't come in here often.

Someone might pop in later. :ok: