PDA

View Full Version : flight ops officer/dispatcher VS ramp/ground ops

jackdaniels
17th Apr 2009, 16:34
Okay ppruners,
I hope you guys can help me sort this out cuz I just cant get it.... What is the so velated mystery or this gigantic aporia that inhibits the creation of two SINGLE, DISTINCT AND SEPARATED DISCUSSION FORUMS???????????

Is it so hard to make one for flight ops and one for ground ops.... how can this be so difficult?!?!?! :confused:

Dropline
18th Apr 2009, 12:02
Why? Most of us can tell the difference between the US "dispatcher" and the UK "dispatcher"...

boeingbus2002
18th Apr 2009, 13:16
A forum for the people who are engaged in operational control/flight dispatch/crewing and their colleagues airside in ramp dispatch, load control and ground handling, to discuss issues directly related to keeping their aircrew and aircraft operational.

To many others and myself, the people on the ground during turnarounds are just as important to keep the WHOLE operation flowing smoothly. Joint discussions about these issues would benefit both.
If you are still confused...well...:}

no sig
18th Apr 2009, 13:52
JD

This was discussed last year sometime and our PPRUNE moderator informed us it was to do with the use this forum gets- seems it doesn't justify another forum dedicated to the seperation of Flight Dispatch (ops) vs. Ramp etc.

But it would help if people posting differentiated between flight and ramp dispatch issues. We changed the forum description to encourgae people to do just that- didn't work very well I'm afraid.

jackdaniels
19th Apr 2009, 17:20
Dear Bus,
okay I get your point, but again I think there is indeed a lot of confusion... be aware that in almost all airlines there is something called HCC (hub control center) they are the guys that are talking to ramp agents and are in charge of all the ground ops. As far as I know HCC has the responsibility of keeping the flight dispatcher updated, and he has the final word for dispatching the flight. :ok:

With all due respect, I dont really care if Swissport is hiring or not.... :E

no sig
19th Apr 2009, 18:46
JD

I note that you are in the State's; it might help you to understand that we have a different system in the UK, and indeed within Europe in general- in that we do not operate to a FAR121 flight dispatch release system here, where the Flight Dispatcher has joint responsibility with the commander- so perhaps we have some degree of confusion. Our ramp dispatchers generally, have responsibility airside for the turnaround process, often weight and balance- and do not share in any 121 flight release process as you might know it.

Airlines here have operations control offices which run the day to day flying program, flight planning, flight following etc, and are close to the FD'r, but also do what you might know as systems control or network management. In many airlines ops control and the ramp work closely together, in some they don't- but it is true to say we have much in common and a flow information back to Ops Control is imperative. But, different airlines operate different systems.

As far as this forum goes, we do indeed have confusion in terminology surrounding the ramp dispatchers role and that of the operations controller (flight dispatcher- as you would know it). If only people on the forum could adopt the appropriate terminology we have a greater degree of understanding.

Dropline
20th Apr 2009, 09:29
JD

It's usually quite clear from the context of a post and/or the location of the poster which of the roles is under discussion... I've never found it a problem.