PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Heritage Museums

Icare9
17th Apr 2009, 09:26
Having enjoyed the reminiscences on the "Gaining an RAF pilots brevet in WW2" and elsewhere, there seem to be many places where various parts of our Aviation Heritage reside. Is there any plan for them to be under some type of "umbrella" organisation where they can share, swap or display exhibits that others might not have room for? It might simply be just linking "Visit tickets" so visit one and get a discount at another? At least that way they might ensure the survival of these artefacts.

There is a concurrent thread about arranging a visit for an ex Lanc A/G to the BBMF. Others then posted links to the Lincolnshire and then Yorkshire Air Museums where there is a Lanc in taxying condition where you buy rides, plus the Halifax. So we have 3 separate locations each with a heavy bomber, so I hope there is some sort of skill sharing. If not, there should be.

We have also had the Vulcan to the skies appeal which sadly seems to have run out of financial support (where's a trillion or two when you need it??) plus one in close to running condition at Southend (Rochford). There is also the IWM collection at Duxford and the Shuttleworth Collection, Tangmere and many others too numerous to mention, but all with parts of our history to tell.
Is there no airport operator that can realise that there is an untapped demand that they could tap into, or could the Museums themselves form into a collective organisation to share displays, knowledge and exhibits?

I'm no rocket scientist so it may be that there is some cross pollination, I do hope so, as I'd hate for these collections to fold due to lack of knowledge about them. I don't think it's a lack of interest, so please could they try and find a way of working together to ensure they all survive.

We can all do our bit by publicising what museums are where and what they contain. I offer up this thread as a means of so doing, if there are no other better places.

Jhieminga
17th Apr 2009, 11:02
Something like this: Home (http://www.bapc.org.uk/) ?

Captain Airclues
17th Apr 2009, 11:03
This thread goes some way to achieving that;

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/209741-world-aviation-museums-mod-post-16-05-a.html

Dave