PDA

View Full Version : Time to Go

Edmund Spencer
17th Apr 2009, 03:03
You have to ask, “How do the fare paying passengers regard the pilots?”
Frankly, I think 99.9% couldn’t give a damn. The cabin service, the cabin equipment (PTV and seat recline etc) and OTP are what really matter. Other operators are much better. (Anyone flown EVA recently?)
We regard ourselves as important players but do you seriously think people choose to fly Cathay Pacific because of the pilots?
How many passengers think to themselves, “This is the typhoon season, perhaps I would prefer to fly with Cathay into Hong Kong”?
I don’t think Emirates, Singapore Airlines or British Airways have lost significant market share due to their recent accidents.

ACMS
17th Apr 2009, 09:34
Over nearly 20 years in Airlines I get asked at least twice a year which Airline is "safe"

Some people do value their life.

Most just look at the price.

asianeagle
17th Apr 2009, 09:53
I often get asked, "are they safe" too, but dollars rule!

Perhaps we should be 'marketing' ourselves better in this department, after all the company wont. Ever seen any advertising showing safe pilots or is it always about service in the back.

However, having said that, some :mad: flying a shiny new aeroplane at 30 ft down a runway may have skuppered us before we have even begun!!!:sad:

iMad
17th Apr 2009, 10:02
asianeagle, although i agree with you in principle, from what i heard i think there's a "gentleman's" agreement amongst the airlines that Safety won't be used in advertisements, thus you get the God of Aviation down under calling themselves the "Most Experienced" airline in the World....(tempting fate tho that may be....)

Loopdeloop
17th Apr 2009, 10:31
The 2 recent major accidents in NY and Amsterdam have started both airline management teams and the traveling public to ask more questions about pilot experience/ability/training levels. Being so close together, they have highlighted the apparent differences in outcome one can expect from both a serious problem and a seemingly innocuous one.

ReverseFlight
18th Apr 2009, 04:11
I fly CX not because it is cheap, or the service great, or the seats comfortable, or the meals tasty, or the films great. Areas for improvement, IMHO.

I fly it because the the fleet is well looked after and, above all, the pilots are highly trained, proficient and won't do anything rash because management will be up their a**es like a rocket in no time.

A lot of ink has been spilt in these forums about CX management but you can easily spot airlines without strong management - those are the ones which are crashin' and burnin'.

p.s. I have nothin' to do with CX management. I'm just a regular pax.

oicur12
18th Apr 2009, 04:42
"those are the ones which are crashin' and burnin'."

such as?

Edmund Spencer
18th Apr 2009, 10:41
Thank you for your contribution, Kit.
Well done.
You really enhance our profession.
ES