PDA

View Full Version : confused, scared at times

boredcounter
17th Apr 2009, 01:39
OK Guys and Girls,

The thread about the chap leaping from a Kingair has got me thinking.

20 years ago, I worked with these aircraft and would trust them over any other type.

Back then, I loved airplanes, and flew RHS in single crew Ops. Now with 22 years in aviation
I hate flying! I hate being down the back in single aisle aircraft unless others (Girlfriend and 3 year old) look to me for reassurance.

The only time I have been ‘happy’ to fly was A330 up the font in business.

Now aged 41, I find I am most confused, scared at times.

I work in a typical ‘modern’ building. It is only 3 floors above ground. Yet with the open
Steel and wire walls on the landings, I cannot go near them most of the time. Other times, I get the urge to vault them. I cannot look over them for love or money!

Aloft, at work, I am blessed with (legal) occupation of the jump seat, sometimes P3, sometimes bench (B757), yet as much as I trust the guys in front, the Engineers, Mr. Boeing and the chap that cut a big hole in the side, I just want to wind the DV window open and jump.

I cannot visit a castle and climb the tower, even if the arrow slits are barred in and look out.

Ideas please

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Apr 2009, 07:17
I experienced something akin to this but in my case it was a fear of leaving home on an aeroplane, not a fear of flying nor of heights. After two attempts to go on holiday, which ended with me in tears at the airports, I sought advice from my AME. Through my GP he put me in touch with a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist (a doctor). After three sessions I was able to go on holiday again by air with no fears.

Give it a whirl... and good luck.

Albert Square
17th Apr 2009, 22:55
Heathrow Director - Thanks for sharing this. I have a close relative with a very similar problem. Initially it appeared to be fear of flying / trains / confined spaces. After a particularly traumatic epsisode (having to abandon a holiday) I paid for CBT (2 year waiting list on NHS) and significant improvement. The root problem in this case was also connected in being away from home.

Thaes are complex issues which we all suffer from oin one form or another.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Apr 2009, 14:52
Albert.. Glad your relative achieved results but I'm appalled at the delay you might have had through good old NHS. When I sought advice my GP said "The CBT doctor is here each Friday so make an appointment to see her". I did and saw her within two days!

gingernut
19th Apr 2009, 10:17
Yep, CBT is patchy throughout the country. (It doesn't have to be a doctor by the way).

I'm not sure why this is, maybe due to money?

(We get 96 billion to spend, 4.5 billion goes on cancer care, less on mental health, 9.5 billion goes on litigation).