PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Distance Learning

Simon Woodward
17th Apr 2009, 00:35
Dear All

A question for those of you who have completed or are currently doing their ATPL distance learning. Bristol quote 6 months to complete the first lot of exams and 5 months for the second lot... Im trying to get an understanding of how many hours of study per week that means in reality, is it 5 hours daily o 2 hours? What am I letting myself in for?

Many Thanks

Simon. :rolleyes:

LH2
17th Apr 2009, 02:43
The ATPL theory is a no-brainer for a reasonably educated professional.

Just sign up for the exams, go to the two-week refreshers, pay attention, and hit the question bank hard in the evenings. That'll see you through the exams and then once that kind of pressure's off you can sit down with your books when you have a quiet time and actually learn the stuff.

As someone else has told you on your other post, you will want to take some time off so you can concentrate exclusively on the task at hand while doing the refreshers and sitting the tests. That's a grand total of six weeks.

Good luck with your studying.

PA28Viking
17th Apr 2009, 06:40
Just sign up for the exams, go to the two-week refreshers, pay attention, and hit the question bank hard in the evenings. That'll see you through the exams and then once that kind of pressure's off you can sit down with your books when you have a quiet time and actually learn the stuff.

LH2, please confirm that you never opened a study guide or book before you sat the exams. You solely used the question bank and passed all 14 exams first time with high marks in six week?

I'm impressed.

PS: What kind of pilot job do you hold now?

G SXTY
17th Apr 2009, 09:53
Everyone is different, but I read the notes for an hour or so during my commute, then studied for around 3 hours each evening and all day Sundays. Friday nights and Saturdays off to retain my sanity.

From receiving the first set of books to passing the last exam took 13 months, but I know people who managed it quicker, so the timescale you have is quite realistic.

edmooriginal
17th Apr 2009, 09:58
5-6 months for completing both modules is realistic if you can work on the notes 4-5 days a week.

Alot of people on my Bristol course rebooked mod 2 refreshers 3 months after the mod 1 refresher. The Bristol refreshers are amazing and remove any worry.

5 RINGS
17th Apr 2009, 10:07
took me 12 months, as I did not stop working full time to pay the bills, and did it in 4 phases (3 to 4 subjects at a time).

3ish hours study on a week day, more on weekends. Social life was somewhat on hold...granted.

But passed all papers 1st time and with very high average.

Even if most of it is not rocket science, allow for a huge amount of reading and time to understand and retain.