PDA

View Full Version : EFT USA Update

DutchEagle
16th Apr 2009, 14:52
As promised my final update in regard to my stay at EFT in Florida.

It has now been two weeks ago that I got back home and I’m still enjoying, every day, of the fact that I’m now in the possession of a JAA PPL licence, plus night rating. :)
Finally the mission is accomplished, enabling me to attend to the next step, which is the ATPL Course.

In retrospective I can state that my time at EFT has been great. Almost two months of flying and studying. All the teachers are willing to help you, but a special thanks to Claus who has trained me well this past few weeks. :ok:
In my previous update I have stated that I’m positive in regard to the school and now even more as I have seen the new complex were they are moving too. This will definitely give the last boost they needed in regard to the space of the briefing rooms, teaching classrooms, etc……… I assume they will have an update about it on their own home page. Even the housing is now part of the school, which I think is great. Two Danish colleagues were already living there. I even saw a swimming pool, tennis court and beach volley ball yard, enabling the students to stay in shape.

It might surprise you that I’m again all positive about the school, but as I already have stated before, things luckily can change for the better. Still, the funny thing is that if there is a negative point you will see a lot members bashing around based only on what they have heard and if there is positive comment then the person in question must have been bribed by the school. :ugh: Please, let me be clear that this is again my objective opinion and no one has influenced me to say anything about them. Of course there have been minor bleeps, but not different then the ones you will encounter in your daily life. Just attend them with the person in charge and things will be corrected of taken care off.

Looking forward to go back for my CPL, ones I have passed all ATPL exams. A warm greeting to everybody at EFT from the Dutchy………:cool:

Daniel777
21st Apr 2009, 12:20
Its good to see some positive feedback from the JAA flight schools in the US.

Any other recent experiences with EFT?

I am mainly interested in JAA CPL/ME and FAA IR training over there.

Thanks alot:ok:

alkatifa
23rd Apr 2009, 00:57
I will second that!

That's pretty good news indeed. Good to know!

Good luck Dutcheagle :ok:

Glen Corcoran
5th May 2009, 22:21
Yo Dutchy!

I realise my log in rather gives away who I am - hope you are well, Sir, and have made a start on ATPLs.

I agree with what you say - I chose EFT by luck (hearing about some of the others I was very lucky). The instruction is excellent, the organisation is very good with it being easy to book aircraft, fill with fuel and fly off with the minimum of admin headaches. Of course there are the odd problems but nothing that would make me think of looking elsewhere. The worst thing that has happened is the £:$ exchange rate and I can't really blame EFT for that. (Needless to say now I am reaching the end of training the rate is getting more favourable for us Brits).

I arrived in December and have done night rating, FAA IR, ME IR, JAA CPL and just finishing FI course. Due to the wonders of US immigration I have to go home in a week or so but will then pop to Exeter to do my JAA IR conversion.

I would certainly recommend to any pilot to get some flying in the US. No landing fees, many airports, lots and lots of lit runways for night flying, GPS approaches, amazing weather (in Florida anyway) - when I first arrived I was open-jawed at how different it was to flying in England.

Shortly after I arrived, I booked an aircraft. I filled it up myself from the fuel truck on site (at about 8pm!!) and took off for a 100 mile trip to the other coast at night. I arrived at my destination (about the size of Shoreham). No-one was there - but that was not a problem - announce your arrival on the Unicom frequency and land after getting the airport information from another frequency. After landing, I taxied to the ramp and refuelled at the bowser paying by VISA card. The place was deserted apart from a little restaurant bar which appeared to have a light on. No problem - someone popped their head out of the bar and let me through the airport gate to come in. I had a lovely prawn dish, went back to the aircraft and flew back to Fort Pierce, following three VORs on my 100 mile route. Even though I was VFR, I was able to get a radar service the whole route. On reaching the home airport (quite late - I think it was about 11.00pm) I noticed the lights were not switched on. No problem again - click the transmit switch three times on frequency and 'on' they come. I was able to land on a totally lit runway with taxiways resembling a flattened blue Christmas tree. And it didn't cost me a penny to land.

Imagine trying to repeat the flight above in the UK!

Coming to Florida is more than just 'cheaper' with better weather and I would heartily recommend it.

Doesn't surprise me that Dutchy is there again after ATPLs!

cheers

Glen

DutchEagle
6th May 2009, 16:31
Hi Glen,

As I only know one person by this name, it was a easy guess. Yep, doing well at the moment. Still, waiting for my papers from the UK and once in my possession, I will attend to the ATPL course. Still, hesitating between Bristol and Orbit. The last one is a Dutch company, who is using the Bristol education method and therefore saving me some traveling time at the end of the course. Will pay them a visit very soon………

I must agree with you that flying in the US is quite a different experience, then we are used to over here. In the US it is more relaxed, due to the fact that for a lot of Americans it is part of their way of life. Therefore not to many unnecessary regulations making it more affordable and pleasant. At the moment thanks to the high change rate, it could be an interesting journey for the European wannabe. I would recommend such a life experience!

Glen, are you at the moment back in the UK or still in the US? If at EFT, please give my regards to the team and specially to Claus. For those who does not know him, he likes to surf between the sharks :}

Lets keep in touch!

Cheers,
Dutchy

Glen Corcoran
6th May 2009, 20:50
Yo! Still here, Dutchy.

Some of us oldies have staying power! I do have to go back next week as the M1 visa is out, but will pass on the best wishes - do keep in touch - I am sure the ATPLs will only tie you up 6 months. I have ten hours of the Flight instructor course left so working hard as usual.

Weather a bit boring here - not had any rain since you left and hardly any cloud. Do I have to go home????

If you want to keep in touch my email is my first name, at, surname dot net.

cheers

Glen

PS how did you get it to not show your age! :ok:

DutchEagle
8th May 2009, 13:56
Yep, thanks for reminding me how good the weather is over there. Especially when it is quite dreadful at the moment over here. :sad:
I definitely enjoyed the spare moments that I had at the swimming pool. Mostly refreshing after a day of flying and hard studying! I’m afraid that you will have to adapt once you are back in the UK…….

Just wondering if EFT has already moved to the new building? Which I think is much better then the old one, space wise.

Thanks for your e-mail address. Will bother you so now and then and good luck with your last ten hours.

Cheers,
Dutchy

PS. I used some magic……..:cool:

Keygrip
8th May 2009, 17:28
Guys (girls),

Can you move this personal chat to Facebook or somewhere more suitable?

DutchEagle
8th May 2009, 17:46
Mia culpa. Keygrip please forgive us, as the girls will move to a more suitable place for a chat. ;)

Little warrior
8th May 2009, 20:16
Any others willing to share their experience with EFT?

minaldabasia
16th May 2009, 18:40
hello
Has EFT moved to the new biulding?? and does anyone know what the new accomadation is like there? cos when i went there to vist in Feb 09 i was told thas the new complex but was not shown inside of those houses. and will they still be keeping the old housing faclility or eventually moving every one on the onsite accomadation?

MD.

flyhighae
17th May 2009, 21:24
Hey guys,

After doing my research through various pilot schools across the globe, EFT really seems good. I am planning to join in by mid of November. The course seems quite impressive and competitive than compared to many other flight schools. I have got all my queries answered promtly by the staff especially Mathew Adams. They have been very helpful right over the email. Since i stay in the Middle East and due to the time difference, its not easy for me to stay up and call them to clear up my inquiries. I am still yet to visit the school which i am planning to by July 2009. This will help me finally decide on my next step. I have already read good reviews from a few of you guys here. So i am keeping my hopes high on this flight school. I shall keep you guys posted on it. If any of you are currently at EFT, do let me know as i would like to personally talk to a student pursuing the APP course at EFT.

Whats the new facility / accomodation at EFT all about? Just read that recently from the posts??

I am sharing my personal experience in the conquest to attain a good education and experience than just fetch a license and if you guys would like to correspond with me, here's my email : [email protected].

Cheers
Noel

minaldabasia
26th May 2009, 15:11
when i went there back in feb 09 i was told that have bought the Regional Airlines faclity opposite them and they will be moving into there by july 09. the accomadation is on the airfiled but i have no clue if they have moved in there yet or when they will be.
So if anyone can fill us in it would be great. im think of joining the September 09 intakes.

harmatis
29th Jun 2009, 19:08
Hi there!! I would like to get in contact with someone doing the APP at EFT. Thinking about joining in September or October. :)

minaldabasia
29th Jun 2009, 21:42
just applied for the september intake. went to vist them in feburay this year. place looks nice, n the faclites they provide are well worth it for the price. call them up and speek to Mathew hes very helpfull.

harmatis
4th Jul 2009, 12:20
Thanks for your answer. Are you gonna do the whole thing over there? How much have you calculated to spend on trips to England for the ATPL brush up and accomodation?

minaldabasia
4th Jul 2009, 21:16
as far as i know you can sit ur ATPL in florida now. but you must still do the minium amount of Ground Shool hours in the UK which im not sure off.
if im correct what can be done is that you sit the exam papers as you wish in florida and then return to UK for a brush up on say module 2 and that should cover you minimu hours.
If that doenst work i have budget my self about £70K.even this is a lot of money i have work it out that it is still cheaper than any of the UK flight trainning, as you will have considerable more hours on your license due to the fact you will be working as instructor. the weather is better so you should be able to fly alot more student and bank the hours.
with this downturn in avation at the moment i think a deal like this where you have chance to work is more likely a better option. this way you are gain experance at the same time.
Unlike say OAT once you graduate you have say 300hrs n no instuctor rating so working as a instructor is out the window unless you go and do it which is not a cheap rating aswell.