PDA

View Full Version : Looks a bit grim at Glastonbury this year

under_exposed
16th Apr 2009, 12:17
Take a good umbrella (http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/event_forecast.asp?eventID=559)

Polarhero
16th Apr 2009, 12:28
Umbrella? Whats the point, it would only melt in the 1455deg sun and then be blown away in the 855mph wind. But look on the bright side you would never know after your blood boiled in the ultra low pressure?

maliyahsdad
16th Apr 2009, 12:29
nice and hot though, expect the rain will evaporate before it gets near the ground ! :cool:

Sprogget
16th Apr 2009, 12:36
Ah Glastonbury. Only went once, 2005, the year of the proper flood. One's abiding memory of that trip was the surreal sight (and this is Glastonbury mind) of a fully erect-phnaar-tent floating up & away above the main stage, on account of about 50 helium filled balloons being tied to it.

Mr Grimsdale
16th Apr 2009, 12:52
Can someone explain where pleasure is derived standing in a muddy field, awash with human filth, listening to loads of popular beat combos that most of the audience have no interest in seeing? I've tried to "get it" watching bits on TV and I still do not understand what all the fuss is about.

Sprogget
16th Apr 2009, 13:05
You'd have to go Mr. G It is a fantastic experience provided you are prepared to slum it a bit. The fields are actually not awash with human filth and there are so many different bands & other bits and bobs that you could never get round it all. However, because of that, you have a choice of either sticking with what you know & like or stretching yourself a little in cultural terms.

If you've never been, how can you ever know?

Having said all that, these days, one likes to watch it on the idiot lantern, safe in the knowledge there is a clean khazi a few feet away with soap, sink & loo roll. Bliss.

Standard Noise
16th Apr 2009, 13:31
a clean khazi a few feet away with soap, sink & loo roll.

Yeah, the staff areas are OK and they even have showers. Camping seperate from the great unwashed and a free ticket for doing a few hours work. Not too bad all in all.

Sprogget
16th Apr 2009, 13:33
One always wondered about that. Could one for example, get a job as a steward or somesuch, turn up for work & then just slope off? It's not as if it'd be difficult to melt into the crowd.:}

hellsbrink
16th Apr 2009, 14:20
Bloody global warming

Evanelpus
16th Apr 2009, 15:44
Bloody global warming

Ah, but think of the future. If you have property in and around Norwich, in 50 years time you can say you have sea views when the time comes to sell up!

a clean khazi a few feet away with soap, sink & loo roll.

hot and cold running excrement, just the job.

Standard Noise
16th Apr 2009, 16:17
Could one for example, get a job as a steward or somesuch, turn up for work & then just slope off? It's not as if it'd be difficult to melt into the crowd.
One could, but one would be blacklisted from major festivals in the UK ad infinitum, even as a paying guest. One is also liable to be chased through the courts for the price of the ticket.
Or at least thats what they claim.

henry crun
16th Apr 2009, 21:46
Taking into consideration the appalling cacophony that emanates from the stage at these events I would say that it is grim at any time, not just this year. :p

Atishoo
16th Apr 2009, 21:50
Van Morrison and this year Bruce springsteen, appalling ..........pleaseeeeeeeeee. They are Gods i tell ya Gods !!

But..dont you all just hate the British weather? i do.

Sprogget
16th Apr 2009, 22:18
Interesting Mr. Noise. I confess i went on a freebie, since a friend worked for Budweiser & we therefore got compys. Great fun though & a tinge of rgeret that I didn't do it before. I recall pitching the tent up near Worthy Farm as we were late in, so nded up well up the hill. On saturday morning, I opened the tent flap to the sight oif a torrent of water pissing past the tent down the hill. Bone dry we stayed, on the most infamous Glasto of all.

Great fun it was. Especially Brian Wilson giving it 11 out of 10 on a red hot Sunday lunchtime. The stuff of memories.

kms901
16th Apr 2009, 22:46
Ah, you punters. Done Glastonbury four times, but only from the security of backstage and an AAA pass. Wouldn't mix with the great unwashed, and certainly wouldn't pay for it.

tr0tsky
17th Apr 2009, 08:44
I've done a number of music festivals now.

When I was a teenager I'd pay to go in. Grimsdale, although you may not apprechaite or even know a number of the acts that perform at places such as Reading, Glasto or Download festivals, as a youth these bands were superstars.

What could be better than getting away from your parents, spending the weekend getting tanked-up with your mates, trying to pull girls and listening to your favourite rock bands. When you're that slaughtered it doesn't really matter what the toilets smell like. Most lads just piss into a bottle anyway.

I now work at festivals which is much, much better than paying for the things. Now I'm older I don't really know many of the acts, but there's still tonnes of fun to be had.

Glaso, for one, is about more than just the music. It's a fairytale playground full of weird and wonderful things to see and do, everyone is having a great time and when it's not raining it's a proper bubble.

Sprogget:

Yes, you can do security. There's a company called Stewart Security that runs it. You pay something like 150 deposit (which is less than the cost of a ticket), and you have to work something like 24 hours over the 5 day period. You get paid, get the best part of the festival to get messy in and you get to look like a tit in day-glo.

Mr Grimsdale
17th Apr 2009, 08:52
Grimsdale, although you may not apprechaite or even know a number of the acts that perform at places such as Reading, Glasto or Download festivals, as a youth these bands were superstars.

When I said "listening to loads of popular beat combos that most of the audience have no interest in seeing" I was referring to the glut of indie bands and arty nonsense that masquerades as talent these days! Not bands from your youth.

Standard Noise
17th Apr 2009, 08:55
Yes, you can do security.
But only if you've got an IQ of less than 60.

Been a Steward Supervisor in The Park the last two years and doing it again this year. From experience security aren't really much use, must be an easy old blag.

tr0tsky
17th Apr 2009, 10:02
When I said "listening to loads of popular beat combos that most of the audience have no interest in seeing" I was referring to the glut of indie bands and arty nonsense that masquerades as talent these days! Not bands from your youth.

Sorry Grim, I've just re-read my post and it sounds as if I was saying something like "what do you know old man etc etc" but that's not what I meant.

You're totally right, I find the tight-trousered, floppy-haired whiney Indie gits that pass for rock bands nowadays a load of crap too, but for the average 17 year-old these people are stars.

One thing I've noticed is that nearly all the 'proper' security at festivals are from Glasgow. Why is this?

Does anyone who matters really care?

How would you define who "matters"? Yourself? :ok:

Mr Grimsdale
17th Apr 2009, 10:47
Bring back Mantovani and the Andrews Sisters!:}

Sprogget
17th Apr 2009, 10:56
I think you would find that Glastonbury would happily accomodate them if the question were asked.

Standard Noise
17th Apr 2009, 11:01
I'm just hoping they've signed up Chas'n'Dave again. Now there's superstars!:}

Mr Grimsdale
17th Apr 2009, 11:53
I think you would find that Glastonbury would happily accomodate them if the question were asked.

I think that's half my problem with Glastonbury, loads of jingly jangly indie with the odd "novelty" act thrown in to make it look like they represent everyone.

Polikarpov
18th Apr 2009, 16:52
Great fun it was. Especially Brian Wilson giving it 11 out of 10 on a red hot Sunday lunchtime. The stuff of memories.

I seem to vaguely recall, through the Brother's Pear Cider haze, seeing a whole portaloo soaring into the wide blue yonder tethered to a not inconsiderable amount of helium balloons during that set.

One of my favourite Glastonbury years, that, and what a performance.

I do miss the festival now I'm over t'other side of the Atlantic, crappy weather only seemed to increase the appeal (as long as you were early enough to get a spot up the hill by the flushing toilets).

I also have fond memories of listening to the rising note of panic in Jo Whiley's voice over the radio one year as the flood waters rose swiftly up the steps of her broadcast trailer. And the sight of thousands of people mobbing a truck carrying wellies after the supply had evaporated, waving tens and twenties at the guys on the back.

:ok:

621andy
24th Apr 2009, 15:51
Ahhh, Glasto:} Did it 3 times in all, flying Greenpeaces various balloons.

Bloody brilliant fun, and certainly a great event. The local cider helped too. One of my crew for the weekend was an ex gliding mate who knew all the local cider suppliers, so we'd stock up on the way down. I think it was around 2 quid a gallon from the farm down the road, and about 3 quid a pint inside:ok:

We all had backstage passes, so could use securities 'facilities', and our launchsite was directly behind the main stage.

Highlights- The huge variety of music- Glenn Tilbrook from Squeeze, Lindisfarne, The Levellers(bleedin' marvellous!), Joan Armatrading, and umpteen others I've long forgotten.

Ballooning highlights-

Flying at zero feet over the crowd- the smells, the noise(50 people playing upturned oildrums/rubbish bins a particular fave;)), the sights- hot weather= scantily clad lovelies!, and tents to the horizon.

Tethering behind the stage as Joan A finished her set. The roar of the crowd as we popped up directly behind her, the balloon lit up like a light bulb was amazing! Then the fireworks and laser show started- the lasers bouncing off the balloon envelope and fireworks all around. Flat calm as it was, we could pop up to the top of our tether and look out over the whole site- thousands of people waving torches and lighters, combined with the display itself- simply stunning.

Crashing into the ground in Trinity, their first balloon, with a German flim camerawoman. We ended up in a giggling heap in a cut hayfield. The camera didn't do so well though...30 grands worth I believe:\ Still, she got some stunning shots!

Oh, and getting paid for it too...well, expenses anyway;)

Never had a muddy year though- shame really:}