PDA

View Full Version : Finders Keepers Losers Weepers?

eticket
16th Apr 2009, 11:39
1. So you find an unsigned lottery ticket on the floor in a supermarket. You mention this to an employee.

2. You take it home.

3. In the evening it wins 30,000.

4. The next day you claim the payout.

5. You get the money and spend 15,000 paying off your debts etc.

If you found a ticket what would you do? At which stage, if at all, would you have walked away from the situation?

By the way if you were from Swindon and you went all the way to 5 you would have got an 11 months suspended prison sentence for 'Theft by Finding' and 'Fraud', or some such rules.

Couple on fraud rap for Lotto find 'win' | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2379451.ece)

Blacksheep
16th Apr 2009, 13:36
That's odd. Here's what the Lotto rules say about tickets (http://www.lottery.co.uk/info/lost-ticket.asp). Notice that they say that the ticket is only non-transferable when you have endorsed it by writing your name and address on the back. Otherwise they are like bearer bonds and they pay to the bearer on demand.

What puzzles me about the story is how did Dorothy McDonagh prove that the slip she is holding in the photo was actually used by her to buy a ticket? How does she prove she didn't just find it on the floor? Given that it isn't actual proof of purchase and she cannot prove that she bought the winning ticket, what claim does she actually have upon the frozen 15k? It'll eventually go to Gordon to contribute to the Bank supremos' bonuses I suppose.

maliyahsdad
16th Apr 2009, 13:43
i think that if you can provide the exact time and date and of course outlet where you bought the ticket then camelot are pretty fair, a bit like claiming when you have lost a ticket, which i believe is possible. see
Man's 3m win on the National Lottery is a lost cause - This Britain, UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/mans-pound3m-win-on-the-national-lottery-is-a-lost-cause-682069.html) and from

Frequently asked questions | Playing in-store | The National Lottery (http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/playinginstore/faqs.ftl)
What if my draw-based game ticket has not been produced at all, or has been partly produced, by a checkout? Or it has been lost, stolen or destroyed?

For the above situations, you need to send a written notice to Prize Payout Department, The National Lottery, PO Box 287, Tolpits Lane, Watford, Herts WD18 9TT. The notice should contain as much information as possible including the game played, the relevant draw date, your chosen numbers and the date and place of purchase. If your ticket has not been produced at all, or has been partly produced, by a checkout, there is an optional National Lottery Fast Pay Claim Form which you can use to find out your number selections (if not known to you) and/or to claim a prize, if any. If you don't use the form, you should in any event send us your partially produced ticket (if applicable), your shopping receipt, your Draw Entry Advice and your National Lottery Fast Pay card serial number (located under the bar code on your card).
If your ticket has not been produced at all by a checkout, or has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you must make sure that your completed claim reaches Camelot by 5pm on the 30th day after the date of the relevant draw. If you have provided sufficient evidence to do so, Camelot will then inform you of your number selections (if applicable) and will investigate and consider the validity of your claim for a prize. If your ticket would have covered more than one draw for the same game, you are advised to submit your claim by 5pm on the 30th day after the first draw to which your ticket would have related. If your ticket has been partly produced you must make sure your completed claim reaches Camelot by 5pm on the 180th day after the date of the relevant draw. Camelot will then determine at its discretion whether you have a valid claim. If your ticket would have covered more than one draw for the same game, you are advised to submit your claim by 5pm on the 180th day after the first draw to which that ticket would have related.
What if I find a ticket?

If you find a ticket for which the 180-day claim period has not expired and which does not contain the rightful owner's name and address then, if you cannot return the ticket to its rightful owner, send the ticket to Camelot's Prize Payout Department - address as above. You may, at Camelot's discretion, receive any prize payable on the ticket if no valid claim is received from the rightful owner during the 180-day claim period.

can you imagine waiting 180 days only to be told that the money is going to good causes after all.