PDA

View Full Version : CPL Theory And Time Management

Simon Woodward
15th Apr 2009, 19:26
Hi All

Im about to start the distance learning CPL theory course in the UK. I currently hold a busy management position as my main job and was wondering if any of you have any golden tips about time management, balancing job and study ???

Simon.

SkyCamMK
16th Apr 2009, 19:24
"I don't believe it!" You hold a mangament position and you ask about time management? The key as with all study is small chunks regularly taken, reviewed at increasing intervals to get it into long term memory. Try to understand concepts rather than just learn answers to feedback questions alone. If you are not able to be obsessive you may fall by the wayside as the quantity is significant even when the level may be reasonable. Get a network of supporters, make sure you can scan read, write quickly and know your own preferred learning style. Get organised make a diary, keep a log and a record of the more difficult bits to discuss with your peers etc etc

If you have a higher level education this should be second nature, if not you have your work cut out.

Good luck - remember to take some time out, eat well and sleep often

Note: if in doubt draw a picture!

Sciolistes
17th Apr 2009, 11:33
I currently hold a busy management position as my main job and was wondering if any of you have any golden tips about time management, balancing job and study ???
If you currently commute to work by car, take the train instead. I did 90% of my ATPL reading on the train to work. Turned what otherwise would be two dead hours a day into valuable study time. That left the weekends for progress tests and flying.

laverda62
24th Apr 2009, 21:48
Have nearly completed my ATPL's Distance Learning. I too have a busy day job (actually 2) and found that dedicating Saturday and Sunday and part week nights - say 10 hours per week ok at the initial stages of reading study guides and doing sample questions - not much note taking. As the exams came nearer, say 1 month before I then upped the hours to 15 per week and started noting answers I got wrong in sample questions and general key notes. If you make too many notes initially it will take you a lot longer as there is so much and 50% a waste of time as far as the exams are concerned. I went for effectiveness rather than efficiency. A week before exams I stopped day job to focus on study/sample questions at 35 hours for revision week. Frankly at times your day jobs will have to take a back seat to the study. Good luck mate go for it.:)

FlyingIsFun
25th Apr 2009, 09:37
Simon,

Good luck with it, I was one year younger than you when I did the same. Try and balance working through all the notes you will get to learn the material, with some time looking at question banks etc, so you can get a feel for how the questions are asked and dont be afraid of asking around for what types of questions come up most often.

I have a management type job like you, but I'm "lucky" as my daughter swim trains early in the mornings, so I found I had plenty of time at the pool. I found time to do about 2 hours a day for 4 days a week and got through it in 6 months. That was about 4 yrs ago. I also found the time to do the CPL flying course and the FI rating since then and I'm now happily doing some instruction on weekends and some summer evenings. I'm currently going through the short course to enable me to teach IMC.

If you want to learn it you will find the time to.

Which distance school have you signed up with?

chrisaviator
27th Apr 2009, 11:20
Just a good word of advise, make sure that you have a very good school behind you! This is very important as you will have many questions and require many explanations of the course work. Also the difference between passing or not will be determined by the consolidation course just before the exams. You will need ground instructors that will help make the subject alive and clear in your mind!

Plan to spend some time every day to try keep the ball on the roll…so that you don’t loose track!

I have just completed the CPL exams in Jan 09 and passed them all with flying colours bar the Nav exam. I found this exam hard, but it didn’t help that I forgot my ID and arrived at the exam centre 15min late. Got 73% though and flew through on the second attempt.

I used GTS in Bournemouth as there instructors are very good. I must mention that I actually went and visited them before signing up. I wanted to put my mind at rest that they were as good as had been suggested to me. I would strongly suggest that you look into a good school and not just the finance side…cheep and cheerful – you will pay in the long run by re-sitting exams!!!!!. Also GTS provided me with a study plan and helped me flex the plan as and when my job was very busy. It is important to have a school that understands that you may be the only bread winner in the household and that work is more important than you current dreams of flying and that you are not some full time student. I was working up in London and having to drive 4 hours a day for 3 out of 5 days a week…so this was very important.

I had to miss out on some exam sitting and sit some exams out of faze, but I could only do this because my school allowed me. Realistically you will need to use some sort of practice exams and I would suggest using this in the last week to refresh and practice, but not to learn. These exams are not hard, only if you have not learnt the correct stuff, so get a school that knows the exams! GTS has a few instructors that know the exams really well and made sure that we were fully prepared. So there were no surprises when we got there!

Have faith as it is possible and when you have passed them all, you will feel a great sense of achievement! Now for the next step!

riccioenzo
17th Feb 2011, 19:53
Would you recommend the bournemouth one? Or I have heard good things about one in Bristol as well?

any tips?

thanks

dinoorin
17th Feb 2011, 20:09
bristol
very helpful and friendly
the paper side is high quality and the computer based learning tool is top notch.

So if I dont pass, I can only blame myself:}

MagicTiger
17th Feb 2011, 20:44
One thing, CPL or ATPL?

What are your goals with the CPL's? If only CPL, not very much use, unless you just want to instruct!

Time management, depends on how fast you want to have it done, not easy.

I had my own business, family, and spent 6- 9 hours every day, and passed all in 6 -7 months, ATPL's.
You will manage with a job, probably around 12 - 15 months distance learning, but time will be for studies, family and studies, no social activity will be available. Not hard, but time consuming, and much material to get trough. Good luck anyway.