PDA

View Full Version : Question about logging of times

moevydotnet
15th Apr 2009, 15:53
Hi @ all,
I realy struggl on with my logbook :(.
Does someone know a website where I can see how to log my times correctly? (PIC, PUC, etc.)

I flew in america, made my faa ir.... can I log the times with safetypilot (im under the hood) as PIC?
And I flew as a safety pilot (im on the right). Can I log this as PIC?

Thx... Michael

Capt Loop
15th Apr 2009, 17:22
Hi

While logging training for your FAA IR, the FAA rules allow you to log the time as PIC. I would have thought your instructor would have explained this as I was surprised when my instructor made me log my hours as PIC on doing theFAA IR.

This is unlike JAA where you would have logged the hours as Pu/t.

If you were logging time as a safety pilot, then you would log only the part of the flight that you was responsible for being the PIC of that flight. ie the time YOU were looking out of the window and the other pilot was flying on instruments. It needs to be clear at the start of the flight who would be logging what time in there logbooks.

Hope this helps.

moevydotnet
15th Apr 2009, 17:58
Hi Capt,
how about the times with instructor?
Im under the hood and on the right an instructor...

I cant log it as PIC right?

Michael

Capt Loop
15th Apr 2009, 18:47
Under FAA, even the flying time you are "under the hood" with an instructor you are PIC.

If something was to go wrong, ie an engine failure, you would still be responsible for any action you might need to take, at the end of the day you have all ready have a PPL.

It is very different compared to how things are done under JAA/CAA, where they wouldnt accept that.

It is all down to wether it is an N reg aircraft or European registered.

moevydotnet
15th Apr 2009, 18:49
That means I cant write PIC in my JAA logbook right?

Michael

BigGrecian
15th Apr 2009, 23:52
Correct you cannot log it as PIC under JAA. All training is P/UT or Dual.
Also safety pilot doesn't exist in JAA - they call it supernumerary and it doesn't count for anything unfortunately.

Do yourself a favour and do some research into JAR FCL and the search function :
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/359502-logging-hours.html
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/354203-pic-usa.html

If you are intending UK based then Appendix B of Section A refers Page 44 to be exact regarding logging of flight time in LASORS - Now go read it!

moevydotnet
16th Apr 2009, 14:06
Thanks for all...

I will read the Lasor...

moevydotnet
15th Jun 2009, 17:23
Hi @ all,
one more question about logging times.

If I have a FI(A) and my friend has a PPL(A) with valid SEP rating.

My friend sits left and I sit right. Can he write PIC or DUAL?

Thanks... Michael

Whirlygig
15th Jun 2009, 17:32
Is it a training flight? In which case, your friend logs Pu/t. If not, your friend, logs PIC and you, the FI, are just a passenger.

Cheers

Whirls

moevydotnet
15th Jun 2009, 17:35
well... it is "for example" .....

he didnt flew for a while and he want to fly with an fi to feel confident.

chrisbl
15th Jun 2009, 20:14
If it is as a training flight then he logs P/UT if not he logs PIC.

If he has not flown for so long he is outside the 90 day rule, then it has to be a training flight as he cannot carry passengers otherwise.