PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they just leave stuff alone?

Keygrip
15th Apr 2009, 14:46
Not in a good mood (again) - and seemingly always put this way by :mad: Microsoft.

They used to run rampage with my machine with automatic updates - so disabled that and made it ask me first.

Got notification today that 8 fixes were issued yesterday. Majority were security fixes for vista x64 and a couple for Outlook.

Okay - all makes sense, go with that.

"You computer requires a restart."

Second monitor totally disabled, screen resolution to set to absolute minimum, screen icons set to humongous, "maximised" window settings changed to "normal".

Managed to fix all but the loss of the second monitor - can't find anything, anywhere, that gets me to the nVidia control panel and the check boxes I have (had?) for re-enabling the second monitor.

I'm not good enough with these :mad: things to consider swapping to a different OS. I'm one of MS's trapped victims.

Usual guru that helps via remote assistance (GoToMyPC) has gone dark as he is busy at work (OK for some).

/rant off

(Listen close to your speakers - you may hear the muffled scream - even without a microphone at this end).

Selfloading
15th Apr 2009, 18:41
Made me scared to update now :bored:

will system restore roll back windows updates :confused:

Keygrip
15th Apr 2009, 18:52
I believe so, yus.

I had a further hunt. Found that Windows gave itself credit for actually disabling the video card - saying there was a fault with it.

I restarted the machine - works a treat. Video card suddenly reappeared and I have two monitors again.

*Sigh*

frostbite
15th Apr 2009, 19:46
A good example of why I have never taken any updates from M$. Machine came with XP SP2 and it's staying that way.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tarq57
15th Apr 2009, 21:50
Why not just set the auto updates to "notify but don't download or install" ?
Then you get the notification, wait a day or two. If there are significant problems with an update (as happens occasionally) the net will turn blue until they fix it.
I've usually found it's safe to get updates maybe a couple of days after release.
I wouldn't want to wait much longer than that, personally, because the bad boys are likely to ramp up their efforts to exploit the "known vulnerabilities" that are often involved with some patches.

Keygrip
15th Apr 2009, 22:10
I'm on the "notify but don't download without submitting a written request in triplicate".

I - rather stoopidly - assumed that if Microsoft found a problem with their own software they would write a compatable fix for it.

All the "optional updates" made sense, so I took them in with arms open.

Everything fixed again now (I think) but why do I have to spend so much time repairing stuff?

Keygrip shakes his head slowly and sighs deeply!

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Apr 2009, 10:28
but why do I have to spend so much time repairing stuff?
Two reasons:

(1) The bad guys keep writing more viruses.

(2) Windows runs on open platforms.

No two PCs in the world are the same. It is impossible to test any PC softare in all possible deployment scenarios, and from time to time things will go wrong, law of nature. If you don't like this then you have the choice of buy a closed proprietary system - if an operating system doesn't have to support third party hardware and doesn't really take supporting third party software desperately seriously then it's orders of magnitude easier to write and maintain. So maybe you want the original Mac.

hellsbrink
16th Apr 2009, 15:13
Keygrip

Was one of the updates actually an updated driver for your gfx card? If so, you learned a lesson. NEVER update drivers via Microshaft Windows Update as there are usually issues with them.

Keygrip
16th Apr 2009, 15:53
Nope - were all security issues for Vista x64 and Outlook/Office.