PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Dominican Republic???

Gavilan
15th Apr 2009, 11:30
Hi everyone!

I´m thinking to move to Dominican Rep. soon because my gf is from there,and I´d like to know about jobs in the region.
I´m JAA CPL IR ME ATPL/Frozen and FI(A), and 300 TT.

I know it´s hard now to get something but thanks for anyhelp.
:ok:

B Sousa
16th Apr 2009, 13:58
1. Have you ever been there.
2. Are you fluent in Spanish.
A no answer could be a no back. Try up the islands a bit, your passport will be better received. Maybe T/C.
300TT is no help either, realizing one must start somewhere.
If you answer #2 in the affrimative, and have a CFI, you might build some time. In the meantime enjoy the beaches (and the Presidente Beer) with the GF.

greenno
17th Apr 2009, 10:05
And Colombia, I don't mind work in Colombia or Republica Dominicana, I speak spanish, I'm spanish, JAA CPL ATPL Frozzen MCC and FI 620TT any oportunity?

I found one colombian's airline hiring pilots but to register only there are 5 or 6 countries

Thank you in advance

Gavilan
18th Apr 2009, 13:12
Thanks so much B sousa,and yes.I´ve been before there and I´m spanish but i live in england right now,so i believe i have no problem with language:).

Thanks again,sure i gonna try president beer under sun on the beach

The Dominican
18th Apr 2009, 15:28
La Republica right now is not an expat market because of strong gains that the pilot's union has achieved and a favorable (for the pilots) government and civil aviation authorities. Also one of the biggest employers in the country Caribair is now shut down by the CAA so there are many guys out on the street and Air Dominicana just lost the only 737 that they where operating, supposedly they will receive another in the next few months but then again they may not. The situation in the DR is pretty bad in terms of jobs right now and a lot of Dominican pilots out on the street, I'm not saying it is impossible but it is very, very difficult but if you would want to commute there are some opportunities in Haiti for what I hear

B Sousa
21st Apr 2009, 18:39
some opportunities in Haiti

I think rather than working in Haiti, I would enjoy pulling my fingernails out with Pliers. What a hole.

Head up to some of the other UK spots, lots of dots in the blue pond.

Tilex
22nd Apr 2009, 15:48
Dominican....can you tell us more about opportunities in Haiti???:ok:

greenno
23rd Apr 2009, 07:25
I found a Haitian airlines list but several are closed and the rest haven't a Web

peternowell
3rd May 2009, 19:21
Have you heard of Western Air or anything about them?

Peter

greenno
9th May 2009, 15:05
Western Air -air charters bahamas - travel Bahamas (http://www.westernairbahamas.com/)

Flying Mechanic
12th May 2009, 23:31
Turks and Caicos u will need at least 700 TT and 150 multi to get a gigg there.

be1900
24th May 2009, 11:49
do not go to dr this a very nasty place a LOT OF DRUGS AND CRIME

nastyevil110
14th Jun 2009, 20:00
Any one tell me who provides training and written exams in english in south american or cetral amercan region please... Thanks.

stone_crusher
15th Jun 2009, 09:44
heyy mate.....

can you tell the name of the operators in Turks and Caicos
i hold 820TT and 520 twin

BR
stone

BimJim
18th Jun 2009, 14:38
Operators in the T&C now seem to be consolidating. Inter-Island Air owns an FBO in Provo and apparently just recently bought SkyKing.

The owner of Inter-Island Air is a very shady operator... I went there when he was expanding to add a TWin Otter (I had 13,000 hours including over 6,000 hours on Twin Otters)... I left within two weeks and US$6,000 poorer, still no apartment, no car, no work permit, the owner not very interested. And Immigration was starting to ask me about my status after training flights every day with the Chief Pilot.

While training I did a revenue flight (Twin Otter) to Haiti for him with the Chief Pilot in the right seat. He made me a job offer on the phone but refused to give me any guarantees, made me pay my flight costs and initial hotel bills.

Within weeks after I left I saw in the T&C papers that he had been arrested for embezzling over US$100,000 from the government - I have no idea why he is still operating.

If you manage to get a job offer, don't go unless he SENDS you a ticket and guarantees you accommodation until you find a place. His American girlfriend write to me afterwards and threatened me because I was telling people of my experience.

I completed a web page "report" of my experience... that was in 2001, you may have a different experience.
Worldwide Pilot Adventure Reports - Turks & Caicos Islands (http://www.caribbeanavenue.com/reports/tci001.html)

It is good practice to require an employer, once they have offered you the job, to pay for the flight there (and back, when you leave). It is also good practice to require an employer to put you up for two weeks at a decent hotel while you find a place to live as well as provide you with a decent car. If they are serious about employing you, this would be agreed on request. If they are just a bunch of jokers, they will fight every expense - in which case you have a decision to make.

HTH

Jim