PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place in Africa to hire an light twin?

tropicalfridge
15th Apr 2009, 09:24
Any ideas?

LOW BURNER
15th Apr 2009, 13:06
Avoid Nairobi like the Plague. More than double the price to rent one in Canada.

Siguarda al fine
15th Apr 2009, 20:36
I would say RSA is the best bet IF you have an RSA license which you obviously dont have or you wouldnt be asking the question. Itīs not as simple as rocking up and flashing some strange license and hiring a twin and flying into the sunset. Anywhere in the world never mind Africa you need to take into consideration whats involved in getting a validation of your present license. It could take weeks and a long flight test etc etc etc.

tropicalfridge
16th Apr 2009, 19:50
I've got a lapsed RSA PPL, the rest is JAR. Would it really be that much of a problem and I doubt it would take more than a week for the tests and paperwork if I went straight to pretoria? But thanks for the heads up.

So where are the cheap light twins to be had? Must be plenty around Joburg? I've searched on the internet but thus far it seems I don't know where to look. I'm from the UK but started my flying in SA about 10 years ago.

Siguarda al fine
16th Apr 2009, 21:47
A lapsed PPL is good advantage shouldnt take much to get that up and running PM Grizzlybare he is clued up on that stuff. FALA is the safest place to Hire And Fly.

Der absolute Hammer
17th Apr 2009, 04:32
Well, you have moved from Africa-the whole-to South Africa.. The SA CAA is not any longer in Pretoria at Bosman and Struben streets but is now at Midrand, with a Johannesburg telephone number. So-things have moved on since a little time ago.
Also-finding a twin of any sort for hire and fly in SA is very difficult because most twins in SA, owned by places that have hire licences, are used for training and only have insurance for dual flight or under a training.Unless you have a lot of experience and can convince a training organization to put you on their insurance politicy, you may find difficulty.Also-I do not think that anyone in SA will hire a twin engine aeroplane to a PPL. You also do not say for how long your PPL has been so lapsed. Best to check on the CAA website. See Part 61.03.07.

B Sousa
17th Apr 2009, 04:42
Depends on what you want it for. There is a place that may give you some advice.

African Flying Safari (http://www.selfflysafari.com/)

This may not be what your looking for but they may know where to rent.

Der absolute Hammer
17th Apr 2009, 04:51
That website seems to have stopped in 2002/3....It is will be intersting to see if they are still working. It will be sad if they are not.

tropicalfridge
17th Apr 2009, 18:36
Am still looking in the whole of Africa, but seems everyone is pointing to SA. Thanks for your inputs so far, if you think of any good places, please let me know.

Tapejara
22nd Apr 2009, 09:00
Ever thought of Namibia?
Firstly; define "light twin".
Secondly, what is your total hours and your hours on this aircraft.
What is the purpose of renting (holiday, business, charter)?
State the period of intended rental as well

Contact the people at Wings over Africa: [email protected] they might be able to assist you!