PDA

View Full Version : The Empire State Building

Rollingthunder
15th Apr 2009, 08:39
Built in the early 30's, in the midst of the depression. The tallest building in the world at the time. During one glorious period 21 stories were built in 21 days. The tower on top was originally planned to be an airship mooring station for dirigibles from Europe. Steel from founderies in Pittsburgh was sent by rail, then by barge, then by truck to the site (one of the first examples of JIT (Just In Time) logistics. There was no room to store these components on site. Steel would often arrive 15, 18 hours after being made, still hot to the touch and hoisted immediately. The building took only 13 months to complete.

The Empire State Building is again the tallest building in New York.

tony draper
15th Apr 2009, 08:52
Spent half a day trying to find that buggah,kept walking past it,eventually made me way to the top,yer can see a long way.
:)

Noah Zark.
15th Apr 2009, 09:02
Excellent edifice! The entrance lobby with all its finery is very striking, what a place. I want to go back there!

FL575
15th Apr 2009, 10:32
If it was going to be a airship mooring station for dirigibles, they would have been some boarding steps.

tony draper
15th Apr 2009, 11:01
The Tallest man made structure used to be in Russia, some kind of transmitter it were,prolly not now, me Guiness book of record is the 1976 version.
That Emily Moor television mast in Yorkshire is a big buggah,must be the tallest thing in the uk.
:)

Rollingthunder
15th Apr 2009, 11:05
Dirigible Terminal

The building's distinctive art deco spire was originally designed to be a mooring mast and depot for dirigibles. The 102nd floor was originally a landing platform with a dirigible gangplank. A particular elevator, traveling between the 86th and 102nd floors, was supposed to transport passengers after they checked in at the observation deck on the 86th floor.[2] However, the idea proved to be impractical and dangerous after a few attempts with airships, due to the powerful updrafts caused by the size of the building itself. The T-shaped mooring devices remain in place. A large broadcast antenna was added to the top of the spire in 1952.

seacue
15th Apr 2009, 11:19
The broadcasting antennas have been redone a few times as more and more TV and FM stations moved up there. "All" the TV transmitters had moved to the late, lamented World Trade Center by the time of its demise. However, due to an oversight, someone at CBS had neglected to cancel their lease at Empire State and they still had a backup TV transmitter there. That backup installation meant they were the only major NYC TV station in full operation after the WTC destruction and for many months afterward. The other TVs are now back on Empire State.

This is the useless trivia site, isn't it?

angels
15th Apr 2009, 12:10
I like the Empire State Building.

I had the good fortune to meet the world's rudest lift attendant there.

He was the guy in the lift that takes you the last 13 or so storeys up and down from the observation deck. As we got in it to go back down a Dutch/Belgian (by his accent) said, "Going up?"

I suppose the guy hears this quip many times a day as he goes up and down a few storeys. Maybe he'd had a row with his wife that morning. Maybe he was dying for a pee. Who knows.

The doors close and he starts shouting. "It quite plainly states this elevator is going down. I can't stand you. You are scum. I hate you all."

He continued ranting until the doors opened and a by now stunned group of us totter out of the lift. "THAT'S AN EXAMPLE OF NEW YORK FOOKING HUMOR FOR YOU, MR FOOKING TOURIST," comes the parting riposte from our hero.

I sometimes wonder what became of him.

603DX
15th Apr 2009, 12:14
Mr. D:

The Emley Moor TV mast was one of the tallest UK structures, as you say, but unfortunately it collapsed in 1969 and was replaced by a reinforced concrete free-standing tower which is not the highest, by about 57 metres.

The current tallest is the Belmont guyed mast transmitter near Horncastle, Lincolnshire, at about 387 metres height. :8

parabellum
15th Apr 2009, 12:29
I think the tallest structure in the World, for the time being, is in Dubai.

BombayDuck
15th Apr 2009, 12:31
angels, I think he became a TV chef...

seacue
15th Apr 2009, 12:44
More likely head of training for the Visitors Welcome Service.

AcroChik
15th Apr 2009, 14:23
http://www.picturehosting.com/images/Slipsdream100/bryantparkfountain.jpg

Josephine Shaw Lowell Memorial Fountain in Bryant Park with a reflection of the Empire State Building in the background. 8:35 PM, Monday, April 13, 2009.

sitigeltfel
15th Apr 2009, 14:32
A little tip if you are planning a visit. If you have the time, buy your ticket the prior evening just before the booth closes, it should be quiet. Then go in early the next morning and get up the first elevator before the queues build up.

Standard Noise
15th Apr 2009, 14:43
Couldn't get all the way up when we went and when we got to the 82nd floor, it were a bit murky. Made up for it the next day by poncing round the Top of the Rock instead. But the inside of the ESB (certainly the public areas) is a great example of thirties architecture and styling, lovely place. Must go back some day and go all the way up.