PDA

View Full Version : To My Bonus

The Management
15th Apr 2009, 02:11
Some on this forum are delusional.

Pilots are dispensable. If 2500 pilots decided to take industrial action, 1500 pilots would be at work the next day because we would terminate the contracts of the other 1000. You would be extremely fortunate to have 150 pilots start industrial action. We would use those 1500 pilots to train the replacement pilots. It has worked in the past and it will work again. Care to test this fact?

We would recruit type rated captains and first officers from other carriers such as Korean, Singapore, etc.

Singapore Airlines are not renewing expatriate contracts and many will come and join The Cathay Pacific Group. Those pilots will be allowed to work to age 65 on new B Scale contracts.

There are many-experienced type rated captains and first officers in the United States that would jump at the opportunity to join The Cathay Pacific Group on the new B Scale/age 65 contract. They would secure their pensions and work for another 10 years or more at Cathay Pacific Airways based out of the United States. We will add more base slots and welcome Direct Entry Captains.

Where will those 1000 pilots go? Do you want to be one of those 1000 pilots? Do you know where the 49ers are working? Do you want to be in their shoes?

These are the reasons you will not have industrial action. We will do what we want, when we want.

Expect a New Contract in the very near future that will add to age 65. It is coming and most of the 40-50 year olds will sign. We have made sure their P fund are worthless, so they will have to work until 65 or more to retire.

Keep you poor, keep you compliant. It is the Swire way for over 200 years.

The pilots will continue to work on G days, O days, answer their phone when we call, use discretion to reduce rest or increase a flight duty period, answer the phone before reserve because you all live in fear. Nothing has changed on the past 10-15 years and it will not change in the next 50 years.

For those thinking that we managers will give up our bonus, you are gravely mistaken. We receive our bonuses at all costs. Maintaining the top people is fundamental. We don't want them to go elsewhere.

Yes your career is in the balance, so be guided accordingly.

To My Bonus.

The Management

T-Mass
15th Apr 2009, 03:25
Dad, how many times have I told you it's not cool to drink'n'post.

yokebearer
15th Apr 2009, 03:25
Management by objectives works if you first think through your objectives. Ninety percent of the time you haven't."

Peter Drucker

Management is nothing more than motivating other people.
Lee Iacocca (http://www.woopidoo.com/business_quotes/authors/lee-iacocca/index.htm)

Our mission statement about treating people with respect and dignity is not just words but a creed we live by every day. You can't expect your employees to exceed the expectations of your customers if you don't exceed the employees' expectations of management.
Howard Schultz (http://www.woopidoo.com/business_quotes/authors/howard-schultz/index.htm)

Rook
16th Apr 2009, 03:23
I love that stuff.
There may be a few thousand guys to extend your abuse of pilots by a few years, but those baby boomers are gonna die sooner or later. At which point, you can either keep your orders for more planes (and start paying me appropriately to fly them) or you can cancel them. Then I will go to the company that does buy them and decides to pay me. People may laugh, but 60,000 NEW pilots by 2020 assuming a recession for another two years! Even if its 1/8th of that, I cant wait for those contract negotiations.
To MY future bonus.

Freehills
16th Apr 2009, 04:13
Rook, good answer. Slight problem that you have to either re-start at the bottom of a seniority list, or go to contract work.

Westcoastcapt
16th Apr 2009, 04:26
Our contracts are pretty clear as to how CX handles redundancy. Last in, first out. No clown will strike if the non AOA types can sit back and do nothing. Just do your job, sign nothing and the company's hands are tied. And no, they cannot force anyone to take unpaid leave.

CX has a pretty dim track record lately in the courts. There is no way they want another wrongful dismissal suit. Just ask them.

Fair.Pilot
16th Apr 2009, 15:30
To My Bonus : These 3 words make me sick, I will VOMIT to your face if I see
you, do u get it The Management?

Fair.Pilot
16th Apr 2009, 15:35
To My Bonus : These 3 words make me sick, I will VOMIT to your face if I see
you, do u get it The Management?

AAIGUY
16th Apr 2009, 15:40
I suspect CX will handle redundacy any way it likes. HKG Labour Law does
not bind them to the seniority list.

Westcoastcapt
16th Apr 2009, 16:44
No, but your contract does. And here on a base my contract carries significant weight in a court of law.

The wrongful dismissal lawyers are looking forward to the work.

Apple Tree Yard
16th Apr 2009, 19:22
...guys, forget the redundancy issue. CX is not going to lay off a single pilot. Instead, they will expect us to pay for them to keep everyone employed by utilising the LWOP. Forget the fact that neither course of action isn't really necessary. Forget the fact that we have very (VERY) poor management and leaders. The simple issue is that they will force through the present plan. Just remember this when they next come asking for other concessions (remember housing, rostering, etc, etc?, and remember they said that we would get something in return...Ha,ha,ha:ugh:)...that they will be totally decietful. Play the game for the next few months, then we shall hit them hard (if we have the guts that is...).

Air Profit
16th Apr 2009, 20:44
Just saw that Southwest has had a bad quarter also. Their response was to a) freeze salaries (not reduce them), b) eliminate management positions (!), c) eliminate management bonuses (!). Their decisions were based on their longstanding philosophy that the employee is the most important part of their business. I wonder why Southwest employees are so loyal and motivated...? :ugh:

Rook
17th Apr 2009, 01:35
Thanks Freehills, though I don't see that as a problem forever. Actually I think that in the future there will be more and more contract pilot positions with better CoS that many airlines now. I think pilot's will be able to shop themselves around easier, like many other professions do.
Author Stephan Pollan advises us to rethink our notions of workplace, money, retirement, and inheritance. He believes that most of us are rooted in thinking that's out of sync with the realities of today's economy. For example, according to Pollan, the "job" is not what it used to be--there's no such thing as corporate loyalty. Making it in today's workplace means putting your own interests first, not your company's. Pollan argues that you should do your best at work, but make sure you're getting the best deal financially. If you're not, then get another job. After all, it's only a job.
Many airlines are changing the game to suit themselves, so we in turn must take out our own insurance. They get rid of CoS and pensions because we hold ourselves to seniority lists. What if more of us didn't? What if you could carry and sort of Pfund around with you that was part of your contract package? Whoever you work for at that time puts money in the pot. I for one am no longer attached to corporate identities. I really dont care what colour the tail is, I will do my job well either way. As long as the money and CoS are fair. :ok:

Oval3Holer
17th Apr 2009, 01:38
Rook, very interesting and pertinent post. Thanks.

Arcla
17th Apr 2009, 02:07
Rook - spot on! I have debated on numerous occasions that it would be better to drop the seniority system and let free market principles rule. Imagine a world where airlines were competing against each other by improving COS to get the best candidate. Not where protectionism allows companies to erode COS...

JLQ
17th Apr 2009, 07:13
Yes Dan

As opposed to the CoS that we have now. It just keeps going up and up.:*

Rook
17th Apr 2009, 08:09
Thanks guys, glad it was enjoyed.
And in response to Dan Buster, I think JLQ hit the nail on the head. We already have an eroding CoS, in fact most places in the world do. There are pilots at mainline jobs making less than the poverty line. I just saying that perhaps it is time to change the rules on our terms.
I am not saying that the old fashioned idea of "making it to a career airline" will disappear, I just think that there will be far fewer pilots in that career stream. Also the idea of "fair share" scheduling makes the seniority list idea redundant. It pretty much is at Cx anyhow.
I am also not saying that it has to be the end of pilot organizations and unions. In fact, I think they could become better. They just might have a different shape. Perhaps more an association like doctors in some countries. They could just attempt to hold pilots to a standard, provide insurance etc.

asianeagle
17th Apr 2009, 10:00
Pasted from my reply on one of the other links

I often get asked, "are they safe" too, but dollars rule!

Perhaps we should be 'marketing' ourselves better in this department, after all the company wont. Ever seen any advertising showing safe pilots or is it always about service in the back.

However, having said that, some :mad: flying a shiny new aeroplane at 30 ft down a runway may have skuppered us before we have even begun!!!:sad:

Perhaps more an association like doctors in some countries. They could just attempt to hold pilots to a standard, provide insurance etc.

ie if we were perceived as a safe bunch of pilots by the general puplic it might influence there choice of airlines and in turn the airlines might be influenced by the demand for the safe pilots and adjust there COS accordingly.
The trick is getting the wider public to buy into this.....and we can only do this ourselves.