PDA

View Full Version : Dialler Popping Up

Keef
14th Apr 2009, 23:37
I fixed this years ago, but I'm blowed if I can remember how... HELP!

I have a VPN from the Norfolk bolthole back to the main house in Essex. It's useful (when it works!) for checking the mail, and for getting hold of files I need and that aren't on the laptop. It works through the PlusNet ADSL connection here, straight into the modem in Essex. Speeds are "uplink" both ways, but it does a job.

HOWEVER, the pesky laptop has taken to popping up a "Dial-Up Networking" or a "Connect" window with the VPN's details at all-too-regular intervals. Basically, if the website I'm connected to is a bit slow, the lappie concludes the VPN might be a better route (it won't!) and asks to connect it. As soon as it does that, it blocks the existing ADSL connection. Telling it to Cancel sorts it, but it's a pain in the neck!

The problem happened a while ago, and someone told me a fix. But it's gone again, and I'm blowed if I can remember what it was. It's not the "Control Panel - Network Connections - Advanced - DialUpConnections" bit - that's set to "Disabled" and has been all along.

Anyone remember how? XP Pro, IBM ThinkPad T43 with pretty standard kit.

Saab Dastard
15th Apr 2009, 00:13
If you are using IE, there's a few things you can configure in Tools / Internet Options / Connections.

Keef
15th Apr 2009, 20:00
No, 'tis Firefox.

I notice it's turned on both the wired and the wireless connection. It's "supposed" to use wired, and only to look for wireless networks if there's no wired.

I wonder if something's "upgraded" something it shouldn't have.

Keef
15th Apr 2009, 22:24
FOUND IT!

It was indeed where you suggested, SD. I'd forgotten the "Connections" tab under Control Panel / Internet Options. There sat "Dial whenever a connection is not present" with a blob in it. My default (which I know I had set) is "Never dial a connection".

That bit works with anything that wants to talk to the internet.