PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is?

OntarioCopper
14th Apr 2009, 22:14
Not an aviation piece of equipment, but was pulled from a car tire on the highway here in Canada. It measures about 6 cm from end to end, one end is a chromed tip, looks similar to a grease nipple, the other end, although damaged, is threaded and appeares to have a bolt, up against a gear. The thread is made of steel and the top end is a soft chrome. Again, found on the highway, caused a flat tire. Mechanic had no idea what it was when he pulled it out

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/168/unknownobject.th.png

Any ideas?

Bigger Picture...

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/168/unknownobject.png

FCS Explorer
14th Apr 2009, 22:21
... a part from a bicycle?:}
com'on post a picture !

N1 Vibes
14th Apr 2009, 22:30
Hello OC,

my eye-sight isn't so good and couldn't zoom your image - but it looks like it might be part of an engine oil filler cap or similar. This looks like the part that goes through the centre and pulls the filler cap down clamping it shut into its filler neck. It has an action that when you pull the tab down the bolt pulls together (shortens) sandwiching the filler cap assembly, squeezinging an oil seal, expanding it into the filler neck and thus sealing the hole. Will look at work to see if I may have a complete unit picture...

Regards,

N1 Vibes

OntarioCopper
14th Apr 2009, 22:38
I posted a link to the bigger pircture. Hope that helps.

We are really at a loss...I have check ed with a few other mates and tech savy people.....so far.....negative results.

N1 Vibes
15th Apr 2009, 00:08
Helo OC,

now I can see it is not an oil filler cap component, what I though was the flip tabe is actually a bent/damaged thread. I'm foxed - sorry.

Good Luck,

N1 Vibes

lomapaseo
15th Apr 2009, 01:20
It looks like an after market repair part from a Continental DC10 reverser

paarmo
15th Apr 2009, 07:57
The only time soft chrome caps are used nowadays are on bicycles and what you call baby buggies. Next time you are at the Mall have a look at the baby buggies and I am sure you will see the identical or similar item ( Hopefully before you are arrested as a suspected paedophile ...Perhaps just a look at pictures on the internet would be a safer option )

grizzled
15th Apr 2009, 08:11
OC . . .
You best be hoping the OPP aren't looking for a guy who ran over a bicycle . . . ;)

Opsbeatch
15th Apr 2009, 08:27
ASFKAP is right, that's a quick release for a pushbike's wheels...where's the rest of it?!?!?!?:bored:

OB

rubik101
15th Apr 2009, 10:30
Look for a bike with one wheel, and probably no brakes by the look of things. Also, have a quick shufti to see if the rider is lying around near the highway.

V1... Ooops
15th Apr 2009, 23:58
Might it be the horizontal center piece (the gear selector) from a Sturmy-Archer 3 speed rear hub on a bicycle?

ve3id
16th Apr 2009, 01:29
I asked a couple of friends who are ex- CAA men. The best idea they could come up with was a door switch, but being an EE I don't see that, since there seems to be no dielectric between the actuator and the frame.

My best guess is a lug to hold down a tarp!

btw I hope you are not the copper who pulled me for having a radio amateur's licence plate holder on my car, it's causing quite a stir in Ottawa!

loggerhead
16th Apr 2009, 16:11
It looks like a bent level pin from a fox 39 stator. Series 3 by the looks of things. FYI, it holds the chamber for the mark 5 escape valve onto the rocker covers so that the gas doesn’t escape. p.s. I wouldn’t try lighting it if I were you!.

King on a Wing
16th Apr 2009, 18:06
WTFF did loggerhead just say.....?????!!!!!???
OMG.....this is one crazy thread.And u should be able to hear me laughing.....:O.

SoundBarrier
16th Apr 2009, 23:12
I thought it might help if we have a look at it from the other side...

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8964/thing.png
:}

I'm none the wiser...Loggerhead - does all of that mean it came from an Alien Ship?

H60Driver
17th Apr 2009, 02:07
Looks like the business end of a gas station tire inflation hose. Protruding end looks like pressure gauge plunger, missing the extension which connects to the valve stem on the tire. Plausible item to be found on a highway, or so I think.

To fly is mortal, to hover is divine.

Nightrider
17th Apr 2009, 09:40
Sachs 3-gear rear wheel shift-lever, very common on bicycles?!:rolleyes:

dogwhistle
17th Apr 2009, 09:51
C'mon guys its easy: - its a wigwam for a goose's bridle! You can tell cos one end's both the same!

sapperkenno
17th Apr 2009, 20:10
A retaining rod to keep the dilithium crystals seated securely inside the magnetic flux capacitor.

On a more serious note, I'd go with something like a bicycle pedal minus the plastic "plate" bit that your foot rests on. It's strange how it's worn down on the lower part of the thread, and how that continues onto the lower part of the plastic.

Luap
18th Apr 2009, 00:00
On the photo i can't see how big it is.

A photo with a ruler next to the object could help.

sapperkenno
18th Apr 2009, 00:12
Luap, read the first post... :rolleyes: ;)
It measures about 6 cm from end to end...

minstermineman
25th Apr 2009, 14:35
Linkage for adjusting your car door mirrors from inside the car . . .

Tinstaafl
26th Apr 2009, 03:11
Early model Thronomister. You can tell from the threaded manual adjustment mechanism. Later versions, although somewhat bulkier, had an integral automatic adjustment device.

Spodman
29th Apr 2009, 08:51
Many imaginative replies here, but I'll be completely boring.

Its part of an office chair. The threaded bit goes into the base of the chair, the rounded, erm, foreskin clicks into the bit that swivels, that the wheels are mounted on.

http://product-image.tradeindia.com/00252630/b/Plastic-Chair-Wheel.jpg

Glonass
29th Apr 2009, 14:29
Now that I can see both sides I can definitely say it is part of a bromulator :8 but then I think it may be the crank key of the altimeter... :}

criticalmass
15th Mar 2010, 08:39
This is clearly a plunger-picketing sprocket slide-shackle from a late-series Mark 4 Thronomister. The crocketted ogive and fillialled corbels are typical. However, since it lacks the retaining-ring bracket and keyway for the auxiliary drive-shaft flexible-coupling unit, it is from a pre-1992 unit and has not been modified to the updated specification which gives greater output downstream of the upper bypass-duct turbulators and greatly reduces the prevalence of harmonic vibrations in the vortex-aligner section of the primary flow-retarder stage.

This component bears all the marks of being made by the Dale-Parsons Manufacturing Company of Bessemer, Wisconsin, and was probably produced in the late 1980s and stored, hence escaping the mandatory upgrade program for all in-service units. Alternatively, it may have been sourced from an aircraft being parted out in one of the boneyards, also escaping the upgrade due the long-term storage and a possible discepancy in stock inventory control.

The condition as photographed suggests is is not capable of re-manufacture or other forms of recyclable-aviation product rejuventation or rehabilitation and should therefore be tagged as scrap.

Complete (but time-expired) units regualrly turn up on eBay, but the postage is usually greater than the value of the profuct itself and as such they attract only the unwary.

Capetonian
15th Mar 2010, 09:02
The last post reminds me of a lovely story about some medical students at Groote Schuur hospital in Cape Town. After certain operations, they were left with some high quality stainless steel rods, bent into various artistic shapes and patterns, but which could not be re-used.

They took a few of them along to a shop in Long Street, which in those days was junk shops and cheap sleaze, (these days it's fancy restaurants and expensive sleaze) and asked the owner if he'd be interested in buying them. He declined, but accepted their offer to leave a couple 'on consignment'.

Next day a smartly dressed young woman went in and bought both of them as 'modern artwork'.

A few days later one of the students went by, noticed that the objects had been sold, collected his money, and went off, no doubt to piss it against the nearest wall or to painlessly inject it into the local economy (whorehouses in that area).

Later, the students went back with a few more, and within a few days the young lady had bought them all for a high price.

The next instalment, and you may have seen this coming, is that the students went in with a box containing dozens of these things, which the shop owner purchased outright.

They remained there for several years!

ChristiaanJ
15th Mar 2010, 14:02
Linkage for adjusting your car door mirrors from inside the car . . .Oddly enough that was exactly my first reaction, too,when seeing the photo.
Rear view mirror from a car door, knocked off by another car and shattered, bits and pieces scattered by passing cars, until the 'core' bit ended up in 'Copper's tyre.

CJ

lomapaseo
15th Mar 2010, 14:07
Later, the students went back with a few more, and within a few days the young lady had bought them all for a high price.

The next instalment, and you may have seen this coming, is that the students went in with a box containing dozens of these things, which the shop owner purchased outright.

They remained there for several years!

If you are the owner (shopkeeper) then you are expected to be able to explain the hows and whys of the art contraptions as a respected creator/dealer.

If you are simply a consigner then the buyer is left to their imagination.

Mudfoot
15th Mar 2010, 14:32
It resembles part of an emergency/parking brake adjustment which is usually located beneath a vehicle. It could be that the assembly broke, as the wear and tear on one end would indicate that the broken end was dragged for some time before separating from the remainder of the assy. Also answers how it ended up on the road (and in one's tire/tyre.)

(Oh brother, someone had to go and get serious - for chrissake!)

SoundBarrier, thanks for the "other side" view, it helped a lot! :rolleyes::p

rigpiggy
16th Mar 2010, 14:18
looks like a hub from a jog stroller, the bulb end slides into a delrin tube, and secured with a pin in the groove

mostlylurking
17th Mar 2010, 08:33
Note the left hand threads, either an adjuster of some sort or something rotating under a load which would tend to unscrew a RH thread. (eg. RH bicycle pedal)

pppants
17th Mar 2010, 09:40
It's a lock bolt from a folding bike.

vapilot2004
17th Mar 2010, 21:25
Part of a right hand muffler bearing out of a 1957 Dodge Power Wagon.

Bullethead
17th Mar 2010, 21:53
Simple, it's a quasi optical, nuclear powered, dipthong retarder! :eek:

It does look to me like part of a car headlight adjuster, the ball end fits into a socket on the headlight shell and the tapered toothed bit is then turned with a philips head screwdriver and the threaded bit moves in or out and adjusts the headlight beam.

These sorts of adjusters are usually accessed through small holes in the metalwork above the headlights.

Regards,
BH.

good spark
17th Mar 2010, 22:39
easy!
glonass almost had it with the bromulator, but you can clearly see by the thread angle that its the power lever for the mk1 orgasmatron

gs

Mudfoot
18th Mar 2010, 11:15
...or could it be part of the speed adjuster on a conveyor belt? :hmm: