PDA

View Full Version : What is your 2nd career?

Grambo
14th Apr 2009, 21:09
It seems having a backup career, or a career to help build capital to fund training is very important...

What do you guys do?

tigermagicjohn
15th Apr 2009, 01:14
Magician - certainly has something in common with flying -
Money vanishes - YouTube - Johnny Alexander Magic Show Productions PART 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax1Lwz_qRRM)

:ugh:

INNflight
15th Apr 2009, 07:00
Photographer.....not as much fun as flying tho :ooh:

Mickey Kaye
15th Apr 2009, 07:03
I would say in the instructing world for a significant number of people the instructing is their 2nd job. Else they would have no house nor food to eat.

BSmuppet
15th Apr 2009, 08:02
It seems having a backup career, or a career to help build capital to fund training is very important...

Sherlock,

If you have no funds to pay for you fATPL, then I would hardly call your ONLY career a back up?

If you want some advice, some concrete advice, then tell us a little bit more about yourself. I can't really see where this question is going. If you get replies back saying "accountants", "doctors" etc, then would you really go to UNI to get a degree so you get a well paid professional career to then fund your flight training?

On the other hand, during ATPLs, I've read that security work is the best option. 12 hours a day of reading your books - probably more than full time ATPLs do.

Sudan19
15th Apr 2009, 08:13
I do Security 12 hours a day and door work on the weekend. Good money and it gives me plenty of time to study during the 12 hour shift :ok::ok:

Parson
15th Apr 2009, 08:39
A lot of flight crew have had previous careers, some professional, and you could say they were a 'back up' in as much as you could fall back on them in hard times in the flying world. But they started out on a different career path and changed to flying later on.

These days, it doesn't make sense to go to uni and run up debts just to have a back up career, then go and run up even more debt on flying training.

If I was 18 and looking to finance flying training, it consider something like the armed forces/emergency services for a few years. Training and back-up skills for free, half decent pay and something that future aviation employers would look favourably on.

EpsilonVaz
15th Apr 2009, 08:40
Professional Gamer :ok:

(Make a search for Epsilon Eps Vaz on Google).

smiley41
15th Apr 2009, 09:25
Says you paid $70,000 for some virtual real estate. I can offer you a virtual PPL, CPL, ATPL for $100,000 and I'll chuck in a virtual plane as well.

15th Apr 2009, 09:28
Technology Manager for one of the UK Mobile Telco's, pays the bills and gives me plenty of time to study when in the back seats of the 737/RJ100 on way to Bonn each week :-)

Skyhigh86
15th Apr 2009, 11:22
Magician - certainly has something in common with flying -
Money vanishes - YouTube - Johnny Alexander Magic Show Productions PART 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax1Lwz_qRRM)

:ugh:

Blimey! that was very impressive, As much as i like tigers i wish the lady had stayed:ok:

Platinum206
15th Apr 2009, 11:39
Contract Manager.

No I wont go into specifics! :cool:

Also have a small web design company that I started during down time when training due bad WX etc.

The Contract Manager thing should never have happened, I'm just one of those many many low houred guys constantly sniffing around for the first flying job! The web design is a bit of a hobbie that can make some money occasionally

P206

Floater AAC
15th Apr 2009, 12:35
Army helicopter pilot. I fancy the change to civvie fixed wing and my knees are knackered from too much marching.

pipertommy
15th Apr 2009, 12:55
Hi Floater AAC,
Hope you dont mind me asking. Are the Army recruiting pilots?? Does a F/ATPL count for much if trying to join?? I`m ex-Fleet Air Arm ground crew and 32 yrs:confused:

Floater AAC
15th Apr 2009, 13:16
Hi,

Yes the Army need more pilots, but they are rather inflexible about the way they join, regardless of civilian experience. You are at or slightly above the maximum age to begin normal flying training even before you joined. That said your previous service might help. The best way to be sure is through a recruiting office and getting them to speak directly to AAC MCM in Glasgow. What ever happens, good luck. I have had some amazing flying experiences in military flying but its time for me to move on.:ok:

PilotPieces
15th Apr 2009, 13:23
My second career is in recruitment... That is, trying to find my first career :}

Mr Grimsdale
15th Apr 2009, 13:33
IT consultant... have worked with one of the UK's mobile telcos (west Berkshire not Hertfordshire) but probably not the same one as 122.85!

JohnRayner
15th Apr 2009, 13:49
Quacksalver and purveyor of tonics :}

JR

G SXTY
15th Apr 2009, 13:56
I did a degree, then worked in shipping for nearly 15 years before escaping to an airline. Boring as hell, but it paid the bills while I trained.

Really, any steady job that pays reasonable money and gives you enough free time to study and/or fly would be fine. Even better would be a trade that you could fall back on if the flying didn't work out.

Moodster
15th Apr 2009, 14:37
I.T Manager at yet another Telecomms company (Swedish one though).
Gave it up last year to concentrate fully on ATPL's.

BSmuppet
15th Apr 2009, 14:47
Professional Football Player - League 2

davepearsall
15th Apr 2009, 16:31
I work in a school. This means plenty of holidays ;)

pipertommy
15th Apr 2009, 17:04
Thanks Floater AAC very interesting:ok:

TicketyBlue
15th Apr 2009, 17:52
IT Contractor

PilotPieces
15th Apr 2009, 17:58
Professional Football Player - League 2

BSmuppet...please tell me its Aldershot Town!!!

ak224
16th Apr 2009, 00:57
Aeronautical engineer...

Just want to point out something about the loans, which i am looking into atm to fund my training.
Your job/degree affects how much loan you can take out. Even though the loans available are a straight equity exchange on your parents home, if you dont have a high earning potential or your parents dont have enough disposable income to pay the loan payments you may be refused on the loan or be offered a lower amount to what you requested.

So i would bare that in mind when you look towards a secondary career.

colette
16th Apr 2009, 11:05
Same as above poster ak224, full time job as engineer.

Good money which lets me fly regularly and keep current, good holiday allowance and also flexitime which means plenty time off for studying/brush ups and exams, working towards gaining chartership in the next few years so I have a solid career to fall back on should I ever lose my Class 1, also saving hard so unlikely to ever need to get into much debt through loans (perhaps CDL though if needed)

no sponsor
16th Apr 2009, 16:05
You'll find quite a few pilots have other forms of income other than the pilot salary. A number of pilots in my airline (F/Os and Captns) have fingers in other pies.

Often, those who have had previous careers can keep their hand in, and others go on to start other businesses.

For one thing it assists in the relatively low salary that pilots now take home, keeps up the standard of living, and second, it is always good to have another career if the airline you are in ceases to be.

Customx
17th Apr 2009, 02:30
Thought I haven't started flying yet, I'm currently a teacher in Korea. I've got great benefits and I love working with kids. If the flying thing doesnt work out later, I've always got a job here to fall back on