PDA

View Full Version : Transiting through MAD

FutureCaptainB738
14th Apr 2009, 18:13
Hi,

I've basically got a trip planned to CMN via MAD. I will be flying in to T4 at MAD (BA) and will be connecting to T1 to hop onto a U2 flight to CMN. I have no idea how i will be connecting between the terminals. Any chance you could tell me or direct me how i would connect ? what services are available ? bus ? metro ?

I also have a tight connection on the flight back. I will be arriving at MAD T1 at 17.00 on a U2 flight from CMN. My connecting flight leaves T4 at 18.35 BA461. Will i make this flight ? i will have luggage and will have to check-in. BA check in closes 55min before departure so could i pick up my luggage and clear customs and make it to T4 check-in in 40min

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Caudillo
14th Apr 2009, 18:41
Any tips greatly appreciated.

Less acronyms.

But for what it's worth, it'll be a struggle if BA shut shop at 55 minutes before departure.

MUFC_fan
14th Apr 2009, 20:49
What is BA's policy for missing a flight?

I know EK (all be it long haul) just put you on the next available service but do BA do the same as they are a full service carrier or because it is short they do an FR and just say "hop it?"

Thanks.

European flyer
14th Apr 2009, 21:06
If arriving with BA from UK you'll arrive into T4S (non-Schengen flights) which will actually mean taking a metro type train from T4S to T4 to collect baggage and exit. On exiting luggage reclaim, exit terminal and you can catch a bus (the only option) that will take you to T1. This is quite a distance, but at least I think the bus goes direct from T4 to T1 before T2 and T3, but journey should be in the range of around 10 minutes if I remember correctly. Waiting for luggage at T4 can take AGES in my experience. Lovely terminal though.

Check-in for Easyjet at T1 can be quick and can be EXTREMELY slow if there are a number of flights, so perhaps getting Speeding Boarding Plus to make use of the special check-in counter may be a good idea if on a tight connection.

I hate to say I think it's going to be quite tough to make your return connection. Arrival into T1 is usually much quicker than T4 (less traffic, planes parked closer to baggage reclaim). EZY usually use jetbridges at T1, but not always.To be honest, if BA does close 55 minutes before, I really can't see you making the connection.

Here's a link to official information on transit bus from AENA / Madrid airport website:
Transit bus - Airport Madrid-Barajas - Aena.es - Spanish airports and airspace (http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?cid=1050046399945&pagename=subHome&Language=EN_GB&SMO=4&SiteName=MAD&c=Page&MO=1)

FutureCaptainB738
14th Apr 2009, 21:12
MUFC fan,

This is the main reason i am not worried at all. I checked for some later flights and there is an IB flight at 19.55 from the same terminal. So if i do miss my flight, i will probably be put on the next available flight which is the IB one. There is also a later flight at 20.55 by BA direct to LHR.

MUFC_fan
14th Apr 2009, 21:16
I know you may not be worrying about the connection but remember there is quite a large difference in service on IB and BA, even if it is on short haul.

Also, your current flight is on a 757! (Depends what your dates are). Get on the amazing bird while you still have the chance!:ok:

Enjoy BA and U2 - 2 great airlines!

FutureCaptainB738
14th Apr 2009, 21:19
European Flyer,

Thanks for the info. I do not have a tight connection on my flight out. I arrive at 9.40 and my easyjet flight from T1 leaves at 1pm. My return flight however is tight. I arrive at T1 from Casablanca on easyjet at 5pm and have to go through re-claim and customs. Then hop onto a bus to T4 and check-in for the BA flight which check-in closes at 5.40pm. My concern is clearing customs and baggage reclaim and arriving at T4 check-in all within 40min ?

FutureCaptainB738
14th Apr 2009, 21:22
MUFC,

Thats the only reason i decided to take the risk with the tight connection times. I thought it'd probably be the last time i flew on BA's 757s. I was also hoping that if i do miss the flight, i would get BA staff to transfer me onto the IB codeshare :ok:

Oh and Thanks ! I hope its a good journey ! :)

AircraftOperations
14th Apr 2009, 21:40
If you have 2 different tickets on 2 different carriers that are not interlining, then don't be surprised if they try to charge you part or all of a new fare if you don't catch their flight due to a delay.
The only way around this would be to have fully flexible tickets with them or have the gift of the gab.

It's certainly not BA's fault if you book a ticket on an unrelated airline which runs late, or you leave too little time to make a connection. Unless you have paid for a flexible ticket, why should they take the hit?

FutureCaptainB738
14th Apr 2009, 21:49
I understand. I will be going on Easyjet which do not interline with BA. I honestly do not hope i miss my flight. I'd prefer a BA 757 anyday over an IB 320 !! Anyhow, im hoping things don't go sour :)

Seat62K
15th Apr 2009, 08:18
"European flyer" was wrong to state that the inter-terminal bus is "the only option" (post 4).

The metro connects T4 with T1-2-3 and even though it stops at Barajas first (and the walk from the station to the easyJet check in desks isn't that short) it is another option.

Another option is to take a taxi (leaflets giving the approximate fare for the trip between terminals are available at the airport).

European flyer
15th Apr 2009, 10:29
FutureCaptainB738, Seat62k is right and I apologise. While I'm in MAD every month, haven't used T4 in about 2 years, and back then the metro still hadn't been extended, but I see it now goes from T2 to Barajas (the town where the airport is located) and then onto it's last stop at T4.

However, Given the walk from the metro in T2 to T1 (at least U2 desks are in first bunch as you enter T1 from T2), I think the journey travel time will be more or less the same. From the airport page, when checking on how to transit between terminals, they only refer to the transit shuttle bus, and not the Metro, while it is a viable possibility. I also see you have to pay to use the metro (obvious) but they also mention of a supplement of €1 to enter and to exit metro between terminals???

Regarding taxis, does that work well. MAD attracts, often, the worst of taxi drivers in Madrid. They often refuse to do short trips, often take tours, and the people controlling them onsite are usually awful. Lines for taxis can often be slow. My advice is if you arrive into T1 ontime, dash off the plane first (passport control in T1 is usually painless and swift, unless numerous flights arrive at same time from non Schengen countries, and if luggage comes out quickly, and you RUN I think you MIGHT just make it, but luck would really need to be on your side. Whether metro or bus, it's a toss of a coin. Personnally, I'd go for bus, as straight out of luggage claim you just exit terminal and the bus is there. To get metro you have to go upstairs in T1, walk the length of most of T1 (check-in area often crowded, or quite, rarely in between in my experience), then head down connection to T2 following METRO signs. Buy metro ticket, etc. Writing all this makes me think the transit bus is the best option.
Good luck or buena suerte as they say in Spain!