PDA

View Full Version : Hayfever

Fraser_B
14th Apr 2009, 16:42
Hi guys, I'm Fraser. I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd give everyone a quick hello :).

When I've finished my degree (currently in my second year) I'm hoping to join the RAF as a pilot. However about 4 years ago now I paid a visit to the doctors with what I suspected as hayfever (itchy eyes), the doc prescribed some eye drops and the symptoms I had dissapeared very shortly after. Since then the symptoms have never re-appeared.
Now I know that the RAF won't take people who have hayfever, but would this be the same in my case considering I've had no symptoms for at least 3 years (4 years by the time I finish my degree)? For all I know it may not have even been hayfever.

I tried to search the forums but didn't find anything specifically answering my question.

Thanks in advance guys :ok:

foldingwings
14th Apr 2009, 16:50
Fraser, that's almost an impossible question to answer as quite often each case is taken on its own merits. What I suggest you do is make sure that your family GP is on board and answers any questions that the air force medics at OASC might ask of him 'to your advantage' - you need to brief him on the situation and then prime him with what you need him to say. No guarantees of course and you need to have a pretty good relationship with your GP (it worked for a friend of mine recently).

However, don't let it put you off applying - go for it!

Foldie

TheInquisitor
14th Apr 2009, 16:50
I had a history of mild hayfever when I joined. I was totally upfront and honest about it, and it didn't seem to bother the OASC med board at all. I've been flying for 16 years and never had an issue with it.

Although, it was uncanny how many aircrew 'came out' once the RAF announced it would offer treatment to those already serving who had hayfever!

Gainesy
14th Apr 2009, 17:00
Itchy eyes could be conjunctivitus, easy picked up and easy cured.

scarecrow450
14th Apr 2009, 19:23
Simple, don't tell anyone !:}

ianp
14th Apr 2009, 20:09
Fraser, you had a summer cold didn't you? :ok:

Eggchaser
14th Apr 2009, 23:28
Had an over protective mother when i was younger and was on anti histamins which were never taken! Got throught the 6th form scholarship for pilot , everything was sweet until they checked my med record. argued the case by gettin a cat test showing i was not allergic to anything ( private hosp will do it for £100 or so) and scholarship reinstated. 7 years later all is hunky dory! As long as you can prove there is no prob with it dont sweat it. Best of luck!

ShyTorque
14th Apr 2009, 23:31
Two rules for the military:

Never volunteer and never admit anything.

Got it? ;)

Fraser_B
15th Apr 2009, 14:46
Thanks for the help guys :ok:

HigherSights
16th Apr 2009, 00:49
Fraser

Check your medical records to see if hayfever was recorded - you have a right to see them.

If it was recorded, get an allergy test for pollen (the test may just be for grass pollen). A negative result may be good proof that the diagnosis was incorrect.

Need money
17th Apr 2009, 09:16
Keep your head down and admit nothing - you can I believe "Grow out" of Hayfever - so if you had it once doesn't mean you would get it again.

If you do get it again, or suffer the itchiness - buy your anti histamine direct from a supermarket - not from the Doctors - and don't get it recorded on your medical notes again !

gingernut
19th Apr 2009, 19:57
It sounds like you suffered itchy eyes which resolved quickly.

I bet you have difficulty remembering it.

nannodnai
19th Apr 2009, 23:18
It sounds like you suffered itchy eyes which resolved quickly

So did I, once. But I've lived a normal life, ever since.

This story sounds like a complete NON-EVENT.

George Zipper
20th Apr 2009, 02:28
I've got hayfever and have had it all my life, so I think you would have had many more years of symptoms than the isolated incident you describe so dont worry and good luck!!

It's never stopped me holding a medical cert either.

Mickey Kaye
20th Apr 2009, 07:42
"Simple, don't tell anyone"

Thats great until you rip your eardrums out when the mucus generated by the condition blocks your eustation tubes and your single pilot and in IMC.

Hayfever can usually be well controlled with OTC medications which have full approval from the CAA. I would suggest you take that route.