View Full Version : Easy Jet flight 772P emergency diversion to Athens

MerNion
14th Apr 2009, 12:50
Easy Jet flight EZY772P from HER (Heraklio, Greece) to LGW (Gatwick, UK) had to divert to ATH due to unkown yet technical problem, probably a compression issue. 140 passengers and 7 crew were on board. The plane involved is an Airbus A320 registered G-TTOJ. It landed safely on runway 21R in ATH on 14:57L. Prior to landing it went over KRO VOR (Karystos) and did a holding at 7000ft.

http://athensairport.*************/2009/04/easy-jet-772-emergency-diversion-ath.html

MerNion
14th Apr 2009, 12:57
Sorry about the asterisks.. It's on the "blog spot" (one word) site.

There has been reports that the oxygen masks might have dropped. If that's true it was indeed a presurization problem.

girtbar
14th Apr 2009, 17:34
Hope the crew got a cup of coffee after this? :ok:

skianyn vannin
14th Apr 2009, 18:01
Yes but their wages will be docked appropriately!

MerNion
14th Apr 2009, 19:30
On the link at the first post there is also a picture of the A320 parked in Athens after the incident..

old-timer
14th Apr 2009, 20:52
:ok:

It sounds like a very well handled diversion to me & everyone is safe which is the main thing, a big pat on the back for all concerned & maybe a nice thank you from Mr S would be nice.

(ezy capt'ns are really very good, I know a few of them & trust them 100%, nice people too )

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Apr 2009, 20:53
So why the sensationalist heading if it wasn't an emergency and the oxygen masks were not deployed? More journo nonsense..

MerNion
14th Apr 2009, 23:56
Mr H.D. you mean we should write here only when people are killed?! That is what you like?! Are you a director of any kind at Heathrow in real?
How should you call an incident when the captain (or FO) addresses as "Pan pan, pan pan, pan pan" and request diversion off route to an airport due to pressurization problems?
Go read the NY Times next time.. :ugh: And if you don't like a thread, you don't have to write in it.. I don't like your threads either but i don't post *****hit in them

(sorry for the off topic)

Seat62K
15th Apr 2009, 07:58
What's a "precautionary decent" (post3)? :confused:

[If the touchdown was smooth, I suppose it could have been a "precautionary decent landing" :}]

rubik101
15th Apr 2009, 10:09
Mernion is an angry young man, no? Mr H.D most certainly was and maybe still is a Director at LHR, which is more than you will ever be by the sound of things.
Go back to the sensationalist school of headline writing and stop being rude.

EGAC_Ramper
15th Apr 2009, 10:23
MerNion

I do believe Mr.HD was making a remark regarding the usual sensasionalist media Bul&^%t they put out making a drama out of what was a well handled situation and certainly not as you read it him wanting only death posted here....go back and re-read it and maybe offer up an apology.:ugh:

regards

MerNion
15th Apr 2009, 10:39
I am not a journalist to write buls*** and make a drama out of anything.. If i were, i would have written "Danger inflight, 140 people faced pressurization problems which is danger for their health" and so on.. If you read my original post, it's nothing like that.. is it?
Then where exactly is the "journo nonsense"?
I am not the one who has to apologise.. Other critisized my post in the wrong way..

kriskross
15th Apr 2009, 10:58
Looks like Flying Clara is back!! Certainly sounds like it.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Apr 2009, 11:06
"EasyJet 8772 emergency diversion to Athens" and, further down:

"There was no requirement to deploy the passenger oxygen masks, and easyJet would like to stress that this was not an emergency landing, but merely a precautionary technical diversion."

Somewhat contradictory, eh?

MerNion... Sorry I offended you. My "name" on here is derived from using that radio callsign for 31 years as a Heathrow controller so I have had more than an incy-wincy bit of experience with the media dealing with aviation matters. I think if you had posted the same item in the Aircrew forum you might have had a similar response but still be extinguishing the flames!!

MerNion
15th Apr 2009, 17:50
The first quote is the title of my blog post.. And since a pan-pan was issued i call it an emergency..
The second quote is from the easyjet press release and it's a typical report after such an incident..
Both are true, i don't understand then your initial judgement of "journo nonsense"..
Anyway, i don't have a problem with you or anyone else and i wish people with comments like "Flying Clara is back" look at their own business..

GeraldinCrete
16th Apr 2009, 13:45
To help answer some of the questions here, you might like to see an eyewitness report in the BritsinCrete Forum:
Living in Crete :: BritsInCrete.Net Crete Forum for Expats (http://www.britsincrete.co.uk/cgi-bin/bicforum/YaBB.pl?num=1239779909)