PDA

View Full Version : Do pilots debrief after each flight?

dabz
14th Apr 2009, 08:06
or only after an Incident, or a weekly meet up or only if there's a reason to chat after a stressful flight?

Aimed towards airline pilots who fly them big turbine engines with lots of seats.

Sorry for the silly question!

A Very Civil Pilot
14th Apr 2009, 08:35
Only, as you suggest, if there is anything needing further discussion. Normally it's just off home.

potkettleblack
14th Apr 2009, 08:42
Nope nothing like that at all. Great isn't it. Means you both go to work and so long as you don't bend anything then you toddle off home without a care in the world. We very much have an attitude of what goes on tour stays on tour. Compare that to the life I used to lead working in the financial sector where my mobile would be going off and I would be called in to work on days off!

Having said that following an incident then things can be very different. Our operations manual has provisions for a debrief should something out of the ordinary occur. Say for example a pax has a heart attack and dies. Then the captain would given the cabin crew a few supportive words of encouragement that they did all they can once we had landed and offloaded everyone. They obviously aren't trained counsellors but we would all try and do our best to help out each other and make the necessary calls if people weren't coping. Then various incident reports would be filed and calls made so that the operations staff were all in the loop. In our company provisions exist for staff to meet with counsellors (if you so choose) as well. If you felt that you couldn't come into work the next day then just call in to crew control and let them know you are still traumatised etc. Its a good system and works well.

The only debriefing per se that goes on in our outfit would be following training/checking flights or the simulator. There is also paperwork that follows these and both the TRE/TRI would require you to sign off that you agree with what was written down.