PDA

View Full Version : Can N registered aircrafts operate flying medical flights in Singapore?

skysharke
13th Apr 2009, 22:43
Can N registered aircrafts operate flying medical flights in Singapore? I would think not, but I have a friend that tell me he can put his N registered lear jet on a medical contract and use American pilots. Anyone know what the rules are in Singapore?

Thanks

Cubs2jets
14th Apr 2009, 01:38
Well, yes, you could (its been done before). You have to be on a U.S. 135 certificate (obviously) and don't think being half the way around the world from your POI makes it easy. Your friend needs to look carefully at the market, though. At least two well established air ambulance providers already in Singapore.

C2j

burnok100
23rd Apr 2009, 09:31
Actually, you can place RP-C registered aircraft in Singapore on medevac flights. I know someone already did that (citation & westwind)

by the way, does anyone knows if there's a medevac planes or helis operating locally..?

Cubs2jets
23rd Apr 2009, 14:15
At least two local operators with Learjets. One is on Thai AOC / registry but Singapore based and the other is Pacific Flight Services a subsidiary of Singapore Technologies.

No (civil) medivac helicopters locally. Main reason is restricted airspace over the island of Singapore would make operations extreamly difficult PLUS the small size of the island makes ground transport reasonably fast.

A problem with "N" registered / US crewed that I didn't address in my first post is it would NOT be cost effective to pay expat wages for the crews to be there. In simple terms the cost of living in Singapore is roughly equivalent of living in Manhatten (New York City). It would be extreamly difficult (if not impossible) for a US company to compete with local operations and turn a profit.

C2j

GlueBall
20th Jan 2010, 09:47
And be aware: The American FAA has a field office at SIN...!

johnlenon
21st Jan 2010, 04:56
no "aware" of FAA needed if your operations are properly set up with proper AOC/insurance and crew are properly trained and qualified.

better worried about the thai regn a/c and its crew!

Captain Stravaigin
21st Jan 2010, 06:40
Hi do you have any contact details for this office. Do they have any FAA flight examiners there on occasion as far as you know ?

ecureilx
21st Jan 2010, 09:49
Let me give you a clue for the FAA office ..

It was located in some place, as safe as Fort Knox .. and is sovereign American Property ...

you can walk in and request to meet them, or call their general numbers for this big building ..

As for the rest of the questions, no clue ..

PNY
21st Jan 2010, 13:25
There are actually 3 such operators at the Seletar Airport here in Singapore, as follows: Flying Doctors (Philippines registry and crews through Lion Air only) and the other 2 already mentioned above. The market is very competitive and all 3 operators have dozens on their waiting list to employ.

The FAA International Field Office in Terminal 2 at Changhi Airport (with a U.S. Embassy mailing address) is strictly a Maintenance Inspection MRO only office with the very last Flight Operations Inspector having left in 2001.

I hope this clarifies things for you... good luck!

Dani
22nd Jan 2010, 23:03
I don't know if they are still there but there was a Australian registered Lear Jet medevac in Seletar? At least I had the pleasure to fly with one of their ex-pilots as my co-pilot.

Dani

PNY
23rd Jan 2010, 10:51
Yes, I am still at Seletar Airport, and it is possible that another outfit does exist there that also does medavac flights.

The aircraft with Pacific Flight Services, parents company Singapore Technologies, I believe are registered as such. They sure do not fly a lot though...

PappyJ
19th Feb 2010, 03:46
but I have a friend that tell me he can put his N registered lear jet on a medical contract and use American pilots.

and don't think being half the way around the world from your POI makes it easy

This sort of thing is done quite regularly in different parts of the world by a great number of US (and Canadian) operators.

Provided that your friend holds an FAA Air Operators Certificate (ie: FAR135, 121, etc) and the associated Operating Specifications include Singapore as an approved area of operation, and the DOT has approved him for continued operations outside the contiguous USA, and he acquires a Foreign Air Operator certificate from the relevant authorities overseas, and has supplemental liability insurance to the satisfaction of all parties, and he staffs that aircraft with medical personnel trained and licensed for the relevant countries , then he should be just fine.:bored: