View Full Version : WOLVERHAMPTON AIRPORT- lost the plot????

Ascot
12th Jan 2001, 18:47
What is going on at Wolverhampton Business Airport (Halfpenny Green Airport) folks??
Ever since the name change a few months ago, things have just got out of hand!!
The other day, Flight Centre announced that it will be starting a scheduled service out of there to London city on a daily basis using a Dornier 228! - so basically, they are now going to have to build some kind of Terminal, go full ATC (which means a loss of jobs for current FISO's), ILS, Radar, CAT3 fire service, RWY extension, new rwy lighting and many more... this will put costs up so much, that resident aircraft and flying schools will have to move to aerodromes such as Sleap, Shobdon, Welshpool etc.
The landing fees at this time are already very high, imagine what they will be like in the future!?!
Whatever happend to the VIRGIN Lightship group that was ment to be building their HQ there? What happend to the rotary village? Who is going to use an airport that is in the middle of no where.... a place that where they have more than 1cm rain...all the roads are flooded, a place that has no snow ploughs. They must have the worst road network in the country, the airport is not even listed on a map... such a small, nice, flying club airfield is being ruined.
The airfield is known for it's bad weather, so, you can imagine the amount of diverts to Birmingham! - would passengers want this?
What will the locals think? would they want large aircraft operating at all hours of the day?
Is there even a bus service or a taxi within 5 miles are the airport - NO!
I can really see Bobbington Estates going bust! - the amount of money going in, what's coming out - ONE SCHEDULED FLIGHT, 5 DAYS A WEEK? - taking the piss here?????
The only time you can call this a business airport is when there are 10 shceduled movements a day minimum.... when there is good security, a terminal, a fire service... but this can't happen at Halfpenny Green? or can it?
What are your views folks????

Ascot
12th Jan 2001, 18:59
yeah, also - one other thing...
Who is the idiot that walks round in that bloody Yellow Coat all the time, thinking he is someone important??? looks like a right T*S**R!!
If it's anyone from the airport authority, shame on him - i tried to speak to him the other day to ask a small question about the development of the airfield and told me to "go away!"
From what i understand, Bobbington Estates have the worst communication with the public i have ever seen on at an airfield, and i have been involved with Airport management for a number of years....
I would hate to think about how their own staff feel.. :-(

[This message has been edited by Ascot (edited 12 January 2001).]

A109
13th Jan 2001, 00:53
Actually I have always enjoyed flying into Halfpenny Green as was but you neanderthals can't stay progress for ever. I agree with the management's ideas for developing Wolverhampton as a business airport, just because it was a sleepy hollow doesn't mean it should stay a sleepy hollow. Remember there was a time when Bobbington Estates wouldn't take plastic in payment and a credit line for fuel was completely out of the question. Things change please allow them credit for trying to expand despite all the drawbacks you mention. Maybe Birmingham will not welcome business aircraft for ever and the newly upgraded Wolverhampton Airport would be very important in the area.

A109
13th Jan 2001, 01:00
I think I'd tell you to go away too. I haven't had any communication problems with them especially since the new manager took over and started all the planning of expansion that has upset you so much Ascot.

Ascot
13th Jan 2001, 02:20
what i speak is the words that everyone is saying, the "rumours." Not just myself, but a majority of concerns and opinions i have heard. Halfpenny Green Airport is a great little airport and we can only live with the changes.... but, let's get the things sorted out here... i have been into the Green last few weeks and everyone is running around like headless chickens... i can only visit when i can, which is monthly maybe - but when i do, i hear all the rumours! I get asked stuff, i ask people stuff, i get told stuff... rumours come about and this is a rumour network- maybe we can get some "official" answers??

Spoonbill
13th Jan 2001, 03:10
Big plans - now where have we heard this before?
I sincerely wish Wolverhampton the best of luck, but any plans for upgrading the faclilities, as suggested, and making an operating profit are pure fantasy. Take a look at all the operators (airports and airlines) who have tried operating into London City when they have stiff competition from the trains and other airports - they've all pulled out.
If Bobbington Estates are serious about improving things, spend the money on the airfield and attract charter traffic to the area, improve things for us private flyers, but dont spend a fortune to make a loss!

Delta Wun-Wun
13th Jan 2001, 03:36
I believe that the Virgin group are not coming now,that they are going to Filton.There is a big "FOR SALE" notice advertising a Airship site.Moral seems quite low at the moment especially when you mention Bobbington Estates. :) :)

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

TBone
13th Jan 2001, 04:05
Halfpenny Green.. that'll be the field where the runway is so bowed you can't see either end from the middle, the one with so many radio deadspots you might as well not bother with it on the ground.

The airfield that has a great social life, good bar and so many tall stories told over it :) The one with all the friendly crowds in the Summer, be they pilots or not...

All key elements of a great LIGHT aircraft field.

Although the field would not necessarily require an ILS (NDB/DME or VOR/DME would suffice), the costs of installing, maintaining and regularly calibrating this kit would be large. Add on to that a secure terminal, extension, lighting, fire cover etc and you have an absolute nightmare for light aircraft. If there is no radar, you have an absolute nightmare for the crew operating the Dornier in IMC.

Spoonbill - I totally agree with you - improve the field for light traffic and make it attractive to the casual bizjet user or large twins perhaps, but turboprops on a regular basis ... how long do you think it would take before the locals petition against the noise ?

More importantly, who will bear the costs of these improvements... Flight Centre on their own ? I doubt it.

Kkkerrching...

DH T.11
15th Jan 2001, 23:07
Okay, Wolverhampton, its not the best or worst place in the world, but lets get things sorted, Wolverhampton is a Flight information only airport which means that for an airline to start there will have to be air traffic control, an ILS, and maybe even radar.
But we have to ask ourselves one question, where did we hear the news about Halfpenny Green Flight Center starting an airline?? Themselves! I cannot recall any news from Bobbing estates saying it will go a-head, But I may be wrong :)

Have The Flight Center started talking too early??

What do you think??

Nubboy
15th Jan 2001, 23:54
Oh the good old days, HON 300 or whatever at 24.5 d on the KNS 80 and stand by to be shouted at by Danny Wardrobe.
Or ask brum for a cloudbreak, or time it from Droitwich. Never mind all this new fangled stuff.

TBone
16th Jan 2001, 04:15
Why is there this conviction that Halfpenny would need to install an ILS and radar in order to cover commercial traffic ? This is completely wrong.

One calibrated NDB with a published approach plate would be an absolute minimum (stopwatch and ADF anyone ??!!), or the airfield could quite easily fit an NDB/DME or VOR/DME combination, coupled with a cloud break procedure.

It is also not unfeasible to use a non-airfield beacon.

Snag is, the more non-precision the approach, the higher the minima and the less useful it becomes.

Ain't gonna happen !

Ascot
16th Jan 2001, 13:20
Maybe the Flight Centre have opened their mouths early? who knows... You see, it was in a local Wolverhampton Newspaper that "AIR MERCIA" will be operating out of there in the summer, after airfield work (such as a terminal, etc). They have had the CAA in testing out DME and NDB. They have also had an ILS survey for RWY 34/16...There is nothing wrong with running this as a Flight Information Service, with an NDB/DME approach procedure... but from what i know, Air Mercia has requested ATC, ILS, Terminal, CAT3 Fire Cover and a lot more! The development will go ahead at the request of Air Mercia... there are plans to take this even further as things pick up... i don't mind them operating out of there, i am just worried about the costs involved for full ATC, ILS etc... chances are, landing fees will go sky high and flying clubs will have no choice but to put up their prices :-/
Let's keep it as a Flight Information Service, keep the DME/NDB approach and see how it works like that :-)
Let's hear your feedback......

DH T.11
16th Jan 2001, 23:03
But what you have to think about is WHO told the papers about "Air Merica" ???

The Flight Center did....

But to have this kind of flight taking place at Wolverhampton you NEED an official approach plate, and with a plate you NEED full ATC.

DB6
17th Jan 2001, 01:53
Landing fees going sky high ? I seem to remember it's not exactly a budget buy at the moment. While I freely admit to not having studied the economics of it, it seems a bit odd that Newcastle can charge £11, Prestwick £10 and Inverness £3(!) for training flights and yet fields with a fraction of the facilities of these places charge much more for the priviledge of visiting them.

Kipper
17th Jan 2001, 13:37
I don't know the legality of the ATC services required but the DME has been operational for the past month or so and the airfield has been professionally surveyed to produce a NDB/DME approach plate to Runway 16.

The minima isn't great but it's better than nothing. There has also been talk of extending 16/34 across the lane into the field to take bigger aircraft.

Even though the airship project has stalled, the 'Rotor Village' is still on the cards with the Police Helo, Heliflight and (I believe) Coventry Helicopters committed to moving over to a site by the existing airship hangar.

Having worked there full-time for the past 3 years, I can confirm that communication from the top isn't great but the service at a lower level couldn't be better.

andy moon
19th Jan 2001, 21:31
Airports grow and servies grow.
I doubt an airport authority would turn down such an offer.
I personally believe Wolverhampton Business Airport is a nice little country airfield that has room for expansion (to a certain level).

It's good to hear that there is development going ahead and it's good to hear about the rotor village. However, i will wait to hear from Air Mercia and Bobbington Estates together about the London Service out of WBA.
One can only be confused at this stage.
Lets see how things look in the future!
Keep up the good work lads (in the TWR) ;)

Best!
AM

------------------
Be brave and fly through it!

DH T.11
19th Jan 2001, 23:19
Chears Mate,
We know we do a good job, shame others don't seem to thing so http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

--------------------
Forget the pride, go round ;)

PURPLE PITOT
20th Jan 2001, 14:50
Hello Chaps. Looking forward to coming home with a 228.

StevieTerrier
21st Jan 2001, 20:45
Kipper - I may be talking out of my derriere, but did I hear recently that Coventry Helicopter shave gone belly-up?

DH T.11
22nd Jan 2001, 23:27
Well PURPLE, I don't know about you, but I would prefer a King Air.....................

PURPLE PITOT
23rd Jan 2001, 13:31
Yes, but i know what there using them for!

DH T.11
23rd Jan 2001, 22:26
Oh really........

Ascot
24th Jan 2001, 02:45
Oh yes, so do i :)
I wish you all the best with your Dornier 228 scheduled operations.... maybe we will be seeing the charter KingAir often, when it's not touring the UK for someone.

andy moon
24th Jan 2001, 22:38
Well, i suppose we will have to wait and see what aircraft they will be using. Like most growing airlines, the fleet builds. If there is a King Air being used, i can see it being used as charter aircraft or maybe on some kind of contract run. I can't see it being run as scheduled - that's where the D228 comes in to the picture ;)
I look forward to hearing some more official word soon.

Best!
AM

------------------
Be brave and fly through it!